The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL accommodation

I need some advice on UCL accommodation, what kind of things should I be aware of when picking accommodation? And what kind of vibe/reputation does each hall/house have? Any information is much appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by _HS
I need some advice on UCL accommodation, what kind of things should I be aware of when picking accommodation? And what kind of vibe/reputation does each hall/house have? Any information is much appreciated

Main thing to be aware of is the cost. The more centrally located halls attract the highest rates. An en suite will put you back further and you’re looking at upwards of £20k a year for a studio flat. Only put down things on your preference form that you actually think you’re going to need.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ruthflame57
Main thing to be aware of is the cost. The more centrally located halls attract the highest rates. An en suite will put you back further and you’re looking at upwards of £20k a year for a studio flat. Only put down things on your preference form that you actually think you’re going to need.

ahhh thanks! What about catered vs self catered? which one do you think is better? Also I want somewhere where it has nice sociable people but not full of party animal, where would you recommend?
Reply 3
Original post by _HS
ahhh thanks! What about catered vs self catered? which one do you think is better? Also I want somewhere where it has nice sociable people but not full of party animal, where would you recommend?

It depends what you prefer. You can end up saving some money going self-catered because you choose what to eat. Also in catered you still have to provide some of your own meals anyway. If you don’t enjoy cooking though then I’d probably say go catered. I think all halls really have a mix of people so i recommend going and having a look around if you can and thinking about pricing as the main decider.
Reply 4
Original post by ruthflame57
It depends what you prefer. You can end up saving some money going self-catered because you choose what to eat. Also in catered you still have to provide some of your own meals anyway. If you don’t enjoy cooking though then I’d probably say go catered. I think all halls really have a mix of people so i recommend going and having a look around if you can and thinking about pricing as the main decider.

yeah i will definitely try and go and check it out, thank you so much!
How does the preference thing work anyways? Do you pick if you want a studio, ensuite, normal etc?
Reply 6
Original post by Perfection Ace
How does the preference thing work anyways? Do you pick if you want a studio, ensuite, normal etc?

I think you can pick all the things you want for your accommodation but you can't actually pick where exactly you want to live if that makes sense? UCL will then try their best to allocate you a place with all the preferences you have stated. Tbh I don't really know how it work I still need to decide on who I'm firming.
Original post by _HS
I think you can pick all the things you want for your accommodation but you can't actually pick where exactly you want to live if that makes sense? UCL will then try their best to allocate you a place with all the preferences you have stated. Tbh I don't really know how it work I still need to decide on who I'm firming.

Ohhh right safe, what offers have you got so far? I've already firmed UCL and im just deciding on accommodation now, really want a studio lol
Reply 8
Ohhh right safe, what offers have you got so far? I've already firmed UCL and im just deciding on accommodation now, really want a studio lol

I've got UCL, Sussex, St Andrews and Warwick. Mostly will be firming UCL because I love the course. Wish I could ge ta studio but it's so expensive! :biggrin: what course did you apply for and what's your insurance?
Original post by _HS
I've got UCL, Sussex, St Andrews and Warwick. Mostly will be firming UCL because I love the course. Wish I could ge ta studio but it's so expensive! :biggrin: what course did you apply for and what's your insurance?

Yeahhh it's like 270 a week lol, I applied for Pharmacy with nooooo insurance
Reply 10
Yeahhh it's like 270 a week lol, I applied for Pharmacy with nooooo insurance

ooooo risky! tbh I might do that as well because all my offers are AAA apart from sussex which is AAB but I don't want to go there.
Original post by _HS
ooooo risky! tbh I might do that as well because all my offers are AAA apart from sussex which is AAB but I don't want to go there.

Haha yeah its risky but my offer is AAB so its doable i suppose, good luck btw man
Reply 12
Haha yeah its risky but my offer is AAB so its doable i suppose, good luck btw man

yeah AAB is so good! Good luck to you too, hope to see you there next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending