The Student Room Group

Is intelligence truly a turn off?

Scroll to see replies

Snobbery totally is lol I'm very quiet so i was just curious
Original post by Hijikata
No.

But snobbery is (not saying you necessarily are).
Original post by Sadflower
Absolutely! Not in a boastful way at all! I've noticed that many peers dumb themselves down. Or I'm constantly asked for the homework, assignments,what's the answers? At the end of the day i feel used. Luckily I've managed a group of girls who are similar. By attractiveness its more of what I'm told "your pretty" "you're beautiful" that thing. And yes I love that show haha

well to answer your original question, intelligence really is not a turn off for the right people. However, I wouldn't worry about this so much now, a lot of guys are still figuring many things out for themselves, which is why they may feel intimidated.
I've dated smart women and I've dated dumb women - trust me, smart is better. Nothing more irritating than dating someone who needs to have every ****ing thing explained to her and mumbles 'I dunno' to everything you ask her.

If he's a pussy ass b itch who can't handle an intelligent women then that's his problem. Stick to dating men on your wavelength
Original post by goggleyed
I've dated smart women and I've dated dumb women - trust me, smart is better. Nothing more irritating than dating someone who needs to have every ****ing thing explained to her and mumbles 'I dunno' to everything you ask her.

If he's a pussy ass b itch who can't handle an intelligent women then that's his problem. Stick to dating men on your wavelength

Ooooohhh my goodness! I get so annoyed when people say they don't know in relationships, look out wavelength here I come!
No its not. Its more important than looks.
I find intelligent (=above average IQ, not just book smart) guys hot, yes. Obviously looks matter but it's a nice way of rounding the package and avoiding boredom.

Snobbery totally is lol I'm very quiet so i was just curious

Actually, snobbery doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Original post by HateOCR
No its not. Its more important than looks.

Bless your heart ❤️
Bless your heart ❤️

Intelligence, loyalty, someone who values themselves, light (as in not thick when it comes to humour), positive outlook in life are much much more important than looks.
If your primary concern are looks then 1. Do you really just want to satisfy your short term frustrations at the expense of your partner? 2. What will happen when you age? Again loyalty is important and is something our youth lacks because we seem to be dishonest with everything these days, this also extends beyond relationships between someone you like. Friendships are more complicated now because of social media, anyways im going off the tangent here.

Honestly as long as you don’t have a nasty attitude you should be fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Yeah, or when you eventually have a barney (we all do), it can come out as a weapon for one or other of you to beat the other with. I've been bit on the arse a few times by this sort of ********.
Original post by 999tigger
Turn on but a massive turn off if coupled with arrogance.

Book smart:
Doesnt make you good company.
Doesnt make you wise.
Doesnt make you nice.
Doesnt make you street smart.

Great start, but there is a lot more to a person.

What do u mean?
Reply 31
My experience of it was 'you think you're ****ing better than me with your big words and fancy ****ing letters after your name' and variations on that theme. It was not the case, actually, but she knew it'd press my buttons.

The other side is using some words in conversation that the other person doesn't understand (I don't think that is necessarily about intelligence as much as not reading much). My experience is that it can manifest in similar ways and cause problems.
Just act normal, don't try to over complicate they way you approach them, just act cool and relaxed in the way you approach them and talk to them.
It'll only tend to be a turn off for weak/insecure guys

Its a turn on for most guys, what's the point being with someone who can't hold a conversation?
Reply 34
I think a lot of it stems from insecurities and then comes out how it comes out. But yeah, I'm wise to it now. It used to piss me off because I don't really talk much about work or my qualifications outside of contexts that require it. I certainly don't lord it over people because of them. The lads I drink with every week don't have a clue about any of it, for example.

I guess the people closest to you always know the most direct way to wind you up :laugh:
Reply 35
Someone asked me this question once, would you rather date a condescending, highly intelligent guy who corrected you every minute or an absolute idiot who believed everything you told him. I said I'd rather date the former because I'm not insecure enough to be offended by someone smart enough to teach me. I appreciate intelligent people, if I'm saying something stupid and you correct me then I'm grateful. (He liked my answer :wink:)

Who wants to date an idiot? I'll tell you who - other idiots. Its more of a challenge to try and fit in with the best rather than try to lead the worst. Intelligence is a privileged. So don't ever let anyone make you feel inferior for having it, they're just jealous that they don't have it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Book smart != intelligent

Quick Reply

Latest