The Student Room Group

Why are certain people smarter than others?

I know it may seem a little obvious as I know that everyone has different abilities but I was watching a film today about a Mathematician and as I'm completely useless at maths it makes me wonder how people are even capable of having such skill?! Do you think it's possible that someone with limited abilities can improve greatly? If so, how? How can you educate yourself to become extremely intelligent? Just something I was thinking about...
(edited 6 years ago)
I think passion has something to do with it.
I love maths but wouldnt say I was natural at it.
some things just come to me, some things I have to work at.
I'm gonna have to check out that movie though.
Genetics

Intelligence in adults is 80% hereditary
Reply 3
It's to do with gravy.
Youve gotta buy the DLC...
Smart people are typically people who try. There are some naturally gifted, but then how much has their mental framework which births their brilliance is conditioned by others around them? If you were raised by two professors, your thought processes would be better formed than if you were instead raised by NEET parents.
Original post by RuthieG101
I think passion has something to do with it.
I love maths but wouldnt say I was natural at it.
some things just come to me, some things I have to work at.
I'm gonna have to check out that movie though.

I completely agree. Passion is everything. The movie was "a beautiful mind" starring Russell Crowe! I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it. I'm pretty sure he plays a mathematician or just a mathematical genius... more or less the same thing!
It's a combination of genetiics and environment. Nothing more to say to it than that really. Of course certain downsides can be overcome with a good work ethic, but talent that works hard beats plain old hard work.
I've always believed intelligence is a combination of nature and nurture.
Original post by alextheowl
I've always believed intelligence is a combination of nature and nurture.

I LOVE this answer
It's grinding, mostly grinding.

It's no surprise how good the Chinese and Singaporeans are at Math with attitude society has of always working hard.

Assuming you're of normal intellect, don't bother using excuses like "I'm not wired for maths or sciences". ******** excuses like these are what separates successful people in academics and failures.*

*there will always be anomalies in the form of prodigies and the disabled, however the vast majority of people will not fall in to these categories.
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
It's a combination of genetiics and environment. Nothing more to say to it than that really. Of course certain downsides can be overcome with a good work ethic, but talent that works hard beats plain old hard work.

Would you say how you are raised contributes in some way? For example, if you were raised by parents who are highly intelligent and educated themselves, are you more likely to be as well as opposed to parents who aren't? I'm very curious to find out opinions on this subject matter!
Influence, passion and natural intelligence.
Scientists aren’t sure but they think its to do with how the brain communicates between the left and right hemisphere. Also looking at the brains of classed geniuses, they seemed to have a cerebrum that was considerably large (i think it was 15% larger). The part of the brain responsible for logical thought and memory.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AngelaVickers
Would you say how you are raised contributes in some way? For example, if you were raised by parents who are highly intelligent and educated themselves, are you more likely to be as well as opposed to parents who aren't? I'm very curious to find out opinions on this subject matter!

Well that's what I mean by environment. I think good genetics perhaps trumps environment, but who knows, both are certainly important. I wasn't raised in an intellectual household, but genetically the bloodeline I take after (my fathers) is incredibly intellectual (grandfather was a head of Astrophysics at Harvard, etc.) and, not to sound conceited, I do believe it passed down to my father and then to me, though maybe not quite to the level I'd have liked!
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
Well that's what I mean by environment. I think good genetics perhaps trumps environment, but who knows, both are certainly important. I wasn't raised in an intellectual household, but genetically the bloodeline I take after (my fathers) is incredibly intellectual (grandfather was a head of Astrophysics at Harvard, etc.) and, not to sound conceited, I do believe it passed down to my father and then to me, though maybe not quite to the level I'd have liked!

Interesting. I agree that both genetics and environment are most certainly important factors to determine an offspring's intellect! Congratulations on inheriting the intellect gene haha! You have a very impressive grandfather!
Original post by HateOCR
Influence, passion and natural intelligence.
Scientists aren’t sure but they think its to do with how the brain communicates between the left and right hemisphere. Also looking at the brains of classed geniuses, they seemed to have a cerebrum that was considerably large (i think it was 15% larger). The part of the brain responsible for logical thought and memory.

Very interesting... there seems to be a lot of factors that contribute towards a person's intellect! Thanks for the info!
Original post by Kyber Ninja
It's grinding, mostly grinding.

It's no surprise how good the Chinese and Singaporeans are at Math with attitude society has of always working hard.

Assuming you're of normal intellect, don't bother using excuses like "I'm not wired for maths or sciences". ******** excuses like these are what separates successful people in academics and failures.*

*there will always be anomalies in the form of prodigies and the disabled, however the vast majority of people will not fall in to these categories.

I whole heartedly agree. Hard work plays a huge part in the key to success!
it is like "why are certain computers more powerful than others ?"

the answer will be a blend of

i) better hardware/ faster chips

ii) better software

however even the best computer must be operated correctly; if you are a genius you need discipline and application to produce world changing results.
Original post by the bear
it is like "why are certain computers more powerful than others ?"

the answer will be a blend of

i) better hardware/ faster chips

ii) better software

however even the best computer must be operated correctly; if you are a genius you need discipline and application to produce world changing results.

That's a great way of explaining it! I'd say I'm right now an average intellectual with the potential to improve greatly and I'm just trying to find how to. I'm going to university soon which I'd say is most probably the best environment to be in if I want to stimulate my brain!

Quick Reply

Latest