The Student Room Group

if I get all the grades necessary, does one of my five uni choices have to accept me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Efron
No I'm doing a six month intensive access course in law,
It finishes in August I'll then apply for university in 2019 entry, I'm not sure how I can go this year.

The other option is to apply now to universities that still have places (presumably you are applying for law?) with predicted grades.

You have missed the standard deadline but many universities will still be accepting applications. You can use UCAS Search and filter to "Show courses with vacancies"

e.g.
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=Law&AutoSuggestType=subjectslist&SearchType=searchbarbutton&SortOrder=0&CurrentView=List&PreviouslyAppliedFilters=D_1_Undergraduate__SMM_2_Full-time__QM_3_Bachelor+degrees+%28with+or+without+Honours%29__S_0_Law__&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&ProviderText=&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=&filters=Subject_Law-P-Social+sciences&SubjectText=&filters=StudyModeMapped_Full-time&filters=QualificationMapped_Bachelor+degrees+%28with+or+without+Honours%29&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=&filters=Location_England
Reply 21
Original post by Doonesbury
@Efron think of it like this...
Cambridge has about 3,500 places per year and their typical offer is A*AA-A*A*A.
Consider that in total in England approx 13,000 students achieve A*A*A or better at A-level every year.
If they all applied with those grades achieved Camrbidge physically doesn't have room for them all.

So no, it's not the "law" that it must accept them.

So all may not get into Cambridge but i heard it is law that one of your five options according to the law need to fit you in somehow.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Efron
Well If I get a distinction in this access course, and wait for 2019 entry, I may apply for Oxford, Warwick University, King's college, UCL or university of Westminster.

After my course finishes on August, I may then do A level English and drama in September and get a conditional offer alongside my already done access course for 2019 entry, seeing if my A levels finish before September 2019, I'm 20 years old by the way.

You're doing the right thing in waiting for the next application cycle to apply with achieved grades. A-Level only increases your chances.

Westminster is a wasted choice as it will be in Clearing anyway. Going off how you write here, you don't sound like Oxford material (I know, that's really *****y of me to say). You're probably better off aiming for Bristol, Warwick ... and down.
Reply 23
Original post by Efron
So all may not get into Cambridge but i heard it is law that one of your five options according to the law need to fit you in somehow.

Nope. There's no "law" on this.

And your 5 options don't know where else you have applied to anyway, or even if you have applied to 4 other universities at all. Some people only apply to one. Universities have no visibility of your other choices until after you have firmed/insured - so they can't talk to each other before deciding to make offers and say "it's the law that one of us must accept this applicant". It doesn't happen.

There. is. no. law.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Efron
Well If I get a distinction in this access course, and wait for 2019 entry, I may apply for Oxford, Warwick University, King's college, UCL or university of Westminster.

Did you follow-up on Brasenose's reply to you about Oxford in your other thread? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76306136

And do you still plan on a military career after?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5217020
:beard:
(edited 6 years ago)
Did you follow-up on Brasenose's reply to you about Oxford in your other thread? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76306136

Are you gonna have a career in stalking after this gig is up.

OP, btw, the lack of GCSEs will be a significant challenge to being accepted by any half-decent uni for law.
Reply 26
Original post by Notoriety
You're doing the right thing in waiting for the next application cycle to apply with achieved grades. A-Level only increases your chances.

Westminster is a wasted choice as it will be in Clearing anyway. Going off how you write here, you don't sound like Oxford material (I know, that's really *****y of me to say). You're probably better off aiming for Bristol, Warwick ... and down.

Evan Warwick, King's college and London school of economics and political science are in clearing, I emailed them and they say that applications are still open.

You know Dominic grieve, he went to the university of Oxford and studied art, he then went and studied law in the university of Westminster, he is know a top Queens Council Barrister and a member of the Privy Council. Google him, there's also many more alumni in their aswell, do not mock a university in which peaple are working hard and studying in, the only difference between the ranking of a university is its facility's and history, it's unrelated in which university you go to.

And may I ask out of curiosity, do you know me as a person to judge me over an answer forum in which I'm only gathering information from.

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as the other people whom have gone, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Efron
Evan Warwick, King's college and London school of economics and political science are in clearing, I emailed them and they say that applications are still open.

You know Dominic grieve, he went to the university of Oxford and studied art, he then went and studied law in the university of Westminster, he is know a top Queens Council Barrister and a member of the Privy Council. Google him, there's also many more alumni in their aswell, do not mock a university in which peaple are working hard and studying in, the only difference between the ranking of a university is its facility's and history, it's unrelated in which university you go to.

And may I ask out of curiosity, do you know me as a person to judge me over an answer forum in which I'm only gathering information from.

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as other people have went, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.

Clearing isn't open yet, and LSE won't be in it. And I doubt Law at Warwick or KCL will be listed in Clearing either.

Dominic Grieve read History at Oxford, and then did his law diploma at Westminster.

It's pretty common for lawyers to have a different first degree. A law degree isn't a requirement to becoming a lawyer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
No, as you've already been told.

Apply wherever you want, but obviously applying to at least one 'safety' university which you surpass the requirements for helps ensure an offer.

Your grades will matter, but so will your reference, relevant experience and performance in the LNAT (which is required by several of the universities you mention).

If you want to apply to Oxford, that's fine. The very worst that can happen is they say no and you have only used one of your options. It isn't a big deal.

You've received solid advice, but ultimately you have to make the decisions that you think are right because you have to live with them. In that regard, I wish you luck.
Reply 29
Are you gonna have a career in stalking after this gig is up.

OP, btw, the lack of GCSEs will be a significant challenge to being accepted by any half-decent uni for law.

No it isn't, I have a btec level 2 in performing arts at distinction, so that's the equivalent of 4 a stars at GCSE, I only couldn't have got my English and math because I had to leave the country for my mothers illness, but I emailed Oxford and they saod that they don't have any specific requirements for GCSE subjects or grades, but the typical competitive applicant will have A A*, that's by no means a barrier for entry as long as you show a recently strong academic performance in your A levels they said, but if you go to university of Southampton they will say that you must have English and math at grade C, it depends on the university but the highest in ranking doesn't specify it so I assume that I'm okay in getting off with my circumstances.
Original post by Efron

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as other people have went, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.

I am not trying to insult you. I am simply being honest.

Grieve (an MP QC, so doesn't count) did his GDL (or the equivalent) at Westminster. It is wholly different to doing an undergrad degree there.The truth is important as most good law courses will only be accepting people in the main application scheme. To stand the best chance of getting into a good law school, you should choose 5 reasonable courses. Not the top of the food chain, like Oxford; and not the bottom, like Westminster.

They're not in Clearing for law.
Reply 31
Original post by ByronicHero
No, as you've already been told.

Apply wherever you want, but obviously applying to at least one 'safety' university which you surpass the requirements for helps ensure an offer.

Your grades will matter, but so will your reference, relevant experience and performance in the LNAT (which is required by several of the universities you mention).

If you want to apply to Oxford, that's fine. The very worst that can happen is they say no and you have only used one of your options. It isn't a big deal.

You've received solid advice, but ultimately you have to make the decisions that you think are right because you have to live with them. In that regard, I wish you luck.

Thank you, this is the best answer so far as you haven’t made fun of me asking questions about my goals.
Reply 32

Thanks doonesbury for the help, no I will not go to the military as my pay will be severely reduced as a barrister.

And yes I have seen his reply.

Thank you for your help
Reply 33
Clearing isn't open yet, and LSE won't be in it. And I doubt Law at Warwick or KCL will be listed in Clearing either.

Dominic Grieve read History at Oxford, and then did his law diploma at Westminster.

It's pretty common for lawyers to have a different first degree. A law degree isn't a requirement to becoming a lawyer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So your saying that I can become a licensed barrister without getting a law degree.
Someone needs to do some research.
Reply 35
I am not trying to insult you. I am simply being honest.

How many 20-year-olds who are Oxford quality would be so naive to believe that it is the law that one of your 5 choices must accept you/unis must accept you if you meet their entry requirements? It shows you are not a capable researcher. How you write is not very clear, either. Now we find out you don't even have any GCSEs! Waste one of your choices ... or don't. It doesn't bother me.

Grieve (an MP QC, so doesn't count) did his GDL (or the equivalent) at Westminster. It is wholly different to doing an undergrad degree there. Again the fact you don't know this shows you're completely out of your depth. I am not saying this because it gives me a thrill to make you feel like crap. I am telling you the truth. The truth is important as most good law courses will only be accepting people in the main application scheme. To stand the best chance of getting into a good law school, you should choose 5 reasonable courses. Not the top of the food chain, like Oxford; and not the bottom, like Westminster.

They're not in Clearing for law.

You say that you don't want to insult me yet you insult me, and I'll tell you why that's your heartly intention regardless in whether you admit it or not, it's because you don't know me and that you judge me based on me asking a question, now if I knew the question myself then I wouldn't be asking here now would I smart ass, your saying that I'm no good of a researcher evan though that's what I'm doing right now.

If I was you then I would watch your words, you don't have a positive sense to it, you transfer negative energy so I would look inwards a little bit to see how silly you sound while judging other people evan though the opposing party show's a very subtle indication of his personal character, and to add to that you cannot criticise anyone when you do not evan know yourself, especially not someone on the Internet that you do not know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes. They have to accept you if you get the grades they are asking for. They can't just turn round and say no once you have an offer.
Original post by Efron
You say that you don't want to insult me yet you insult me, and I'll tell you why that's your heartly intention regardless in whether you admit it or not, it's because you don't know me and that you judge me based on me asking a question, now if I knew the question myself then I wouldn't be asking here now would I smart ass, your saying that I'm no good of a researcher evan though that's what I'm doing right now.

If I was you then I would watch your words, you don't have a positive sense to it, you transfer negative energy so I would look inwards a little bit to see how silly you sound while judging other people evan though the opposing party show's a very subtle indication of his personal character, and to add to that you cannot criticise anyone when you do not evan know yourself, especially not someone on the Internet that you do not know.

You got me.
Original post by Anon7654
Yes. They have to accept you if you get the grades they are asking for. They can't just turn round and say no once you have an offer.

That's only once you have an offer.
Reply 39
I am not unresponsive, I don't know where you got that from. I'm simply asking questions and researching, if I knew the answer to my questions I wouldn't be asking it.

Oxford obviously has advantages, thus making such a big name, but the advantages the university will have alone is as you say, subtle to that initial push after graduation. In the long run it makes a scrap of difference where you came from, and it's completely down to you as a person.

I didn't sit A levels due to me leaving the country because of my mothers illness, and I have a btec level 2 in performing arts at distinction, so that's 4 A* in my GCSE's.

Quick Reply

Latest