The Student Room Group

Help me choosing my subjects 😭

Hey guys i'm new here 🖐🖐
i'm in year 11 and i just came to London at the beginning of year11
now that i think about it, i don't really know what i REALLY love and i want to do in the future
this also makes me confused when thinking about subjects i want to do for A-levels
My parents always told me that i can be a doctor and i don't mind being a doctor but i want to know if i would enjoy it or not and i also want to figure out what i really like and want to do
the subjects i'm really good at are sciences and maths, i thought of choosing chemistry ( I LOVE it ), Maths ( MY FAVOURITE ) and Biology but i feel like i enjoy physics way more than bio and also it's a really good subject alongside maths
but they say i would have a lower chance to be accepted in medical universities if i don't do biology
so what should i do and do you have any advices on how to know what i like ?
*Sorry for any English mistakes i may have made*
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You can do all 3 sciences and maths at AS and drop your least favourite at A2.
Some medical schools require you to do biology so i advise you to pick that if you seriously want to do medicine.
DO NOT apply to medicine if your parents are your sole motivators, you will regret it. Trust me.
do the subjects you love- if it's math, chem and physics then so be it. there's plenty of opportunities within those subjects for uni etc
like the poster said above, don't do medicine unless YOU actually really want to.
Original post by Fefo Chan
Hey guys i'm new here 🖐🖐
now that i think about it, i don't really know what i REALLY love and i want to do in the future
this also makes me confused when thinking about subjects i want to do for A-levels
My parents always told me that i can be a doctor and i don't mind being a doctor but i want to know if i would enjoy it or not and i also want to figure out what i really like and want to do
the subjects i'm really good at are sciences and maths, i thought of choosing chemistry ( I LOVE it ), Maths ( MY FAVOURITE ) and Biology but i feel like i enjoy physics way more than bio and also it's a really good subject alongside maths
but they say i would have a lower chance to be accepted in medical universities if i don't do biology

No no that’s not true... you MUST have chemistry if u what to do medicine, but biology isn’t necessary. Physics is equally as good as long as you can get a good grade in it. There’s no point doing biology but disliking it and getting a bad grade.
Hey guys i'm new here 🖐🖐

It doesn't seem like you have a choice for 4 subjects?

Your chances of getting in are even lower than usual if you don't offer AS biology.

And Imperial, UCL and some others go out the window for not having the full A Level in biology.

Medicine has small amounts of chemistry, physics or maths - these seem to be your favourites?
What are your predicted grades
Reply 6
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
What are your predicted grades

The school said they couldn't give me any because i'm new
Reply 7
Original post by Kyber Ninja
It doesn't seem like you have a choice for 4 subjects?

Your chances of getting in are even lower than usual if you don't offer AS biology.

And Imperial, UCL and some others go out the window for not having the full A Level in biology.

Medicine has small amounts of chemistry, physics or maths - these seem to be your favourites?

They are my favourite, i don't hate biology but it requires me much more hard work to get the same grade i get in chemistry
They are my favourite, i don't hate biology but it requires me much more hard work to get the same grade i get in chemistry

You have to be aware that the medicine degree is nearly all biology in theory.

Quick Reply

Latest