The Student Room Group

Money are more important then friends....

Hi guys.

I want to talk about a terrible experience I had with a person.
Basically I joined a forum, and I made a question about job opportunities for a physicist, cause I read a web page where it was write that physicists can work in industry and not only do research.

So I asked if is true, and this guy banned me because on his opinion the thread was stupid and low quality.
He said that a so stupid question will make him to lose point in the algorithm of Google that make his forum to be on the top.

I was banned for this stupid reason, and I think he did it only because my question maybe influenced the index of the website.

Don't you think his action was irrational?
He made me to feel bad and stupid, but I think that this is the representation of how money are more important then relationship, for some people.

Thanks
WiSi.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WiSi
Hi guys.

I want to talk about a terrible experience I had with a person.
Basically I joined a forum, and I made a question about job opportunities for a physicist, cause I read a web page where it was write that physicists can work in industry and not only do research.

So I asked if is true, and this guy banned me because on his opinion the thread was stupid and low quality.
He said that a so stupid question will make him to lose point in the algorithm of Google that make his forum to be on the top.

I was banned for this stupid reason, and I think he did it only because my question maybe influenced the index of the website.

Don't you think his action was irrational?
He made me to feel bad and stupid, but I think that this is the representation of how money are more important then relationship, for some people.

Thanks
WiSi.

He sounds like a loser and the forum a waste of time.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
He sounds like a loser and the forum a waste of time.

Consider that he is 40 and the forum is the way he make money.
To be fair, you're some random guy posting low quality threads and not his "friend" so the title of this thread is misleading. Also, it was a pretty stupid question. If you were asking for specific experiences and opinions then fair enough but you could have easily googled your question or applied a bit of common sense. Why would a physicist be restricted to research only and not be allowed in industry?
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95
To be fair, you're some random guy posting low quality threads and not his "friend" so the title of this thread is misleading. Also, it was a pretty stupid question. If you were asking for specific experiences and opinions then fair enough but you could have easily googled your question or applied a bit of common sense. Why would a physicist be restricted to research only and not be allowed in industry?

Because a physicists do not have the skills of an engineer, and the really that I discovered speaking with other university professor is that industries are not interested in physicists.

Who are you to judge the quality of a thread ?
Stranger on an internet forum =/= Friend. Okay he acted a little off, but hey, if the forum is his business then he's in his right to look after it how he sees fit.
Original post by WiSi
Because a physicists do not have the skills of an engineer, and the really that I discovered speaking with other university professor is that industries are not interested in physicists.

Who are you to judge the quality of a thread ?

You told us the content of the thread so of course we are free to judge its quality. If the question can be easily found online or answered with common sense then it is a low quality thread.

Just go to a job site like gradcracker and you'll find plenty of opportunities in industry that accept physics grads.
Reply 7
His forum, his rules.
Reply 8
You told us the content of the thread so of course we are free to judge its quality. If the question can be easily found online or answered with common sense then it is a low quality thread.

Just go to a job site like gradcracker and you'll find plenty of opportunities in industry that accept physics grads.

It seems that you do not understand my question.

With my thread I just wanted to know if the web page is telling the true. considered that internet if full of fake news or simply inaccurate news, wrote by people that don't do that job, but that pretend to have a idea about how it works.

If I show you a web page and I ask you if what is wrote there is true, are you able to answer me " if is right in that way it must me true" ?
Original post by WiSi
It seems that you do not understand my question.

With my thread I just wanted to know if the web page is telling the true. considered that internet if full of fake news or simply inaccurate news, wrote by people that don't do that job, but that pretend to have a idea about how it works.

If I show you a web page and I ask you if what is wrote there is true, are you able to answer me " if is right in that way it must me true" ?

I understand the question and it is a question you can easily answer yourself with a quick Google search.
Reply 10
I understand the question and it is a question you can easily answer yourself with a quick Google search.

Are you kidding me?

The point is that Google do not have all the answers, or that not everything that is on Google is true.....
Original post by WiSi
Are you kidding me?

The point is that Google do not have all the answers, or that not everything that is on Google is true.....

So job adverts from real companies looking to recruit physics grads are fake?
Reply 12
So job adverts from real companies looking to recruit physics grads are fake?

It wasn't about job adverts, but about a webpage.
Original post by WiSi
It wasn't about job adverts, but about a webpage.

A webpage saying physics grads can go into industry (which is obvious anyway).
I said you could have easily gone to a job site and seen adverts for jobs in industry that accept physics grads... Your thread was lazy and pointless
Reply 14
A webpage saying physics grads can go into industry (which is obvious anyway).
I said you could have easily gone to a job site and seen adverts for jobs in industry that accept physics grads... Your thread was lazy and pointless

Well, I did that, and I find only job offer about physics that want to code, no job with physics involved in something that is not coding.

Thanks for thinking that I'm lazy, is so easy to judge a person behind a screen, I would like you meet you in real life and see if you would say again that I'm lazy.
Original post by WiSi
Are you kidding me?

Is an internet forum really more believable? People can claim to be anyone and tell you any kind of nonsense. Doing some research online and looking at multiple reputable webpages that agree that you can work in the industry would be 100% better for accurate information.

If the guy who owns the forum thinks your post wasn’t up to the standard of his forum, that’s the decision he’s made for his business. No point getting hurt feelings over it.
Reply 16
Original post by cat_mac
Is an internet forum really more believable? People can claim to be anyone and tell you any kind of nonsense. Doing some research online and looking at multiple reputable webpages that agree that you can work in the industry would be 100% better for accurate information.

If the guy who owns the forum thinks your post wasn’t up to the standard of his forum, that’s the decision he’s made for his business. No point getting hurt feelings over it.

Yes, because was a forum with people that had a degree in science of engineering from good universities like Michigan.
Consider that they moderators banned the thread because they thought that was very frustrating to answer a so stupid question, they taught I was interested in writing a conspiracy theory.....

Anyway, maybe it's me that I pretend to much from people, but this is just the freedom of speech, obviously without insulting no one.
When people ban you, you start toast yourself why it happened, because the brain work like that, if you it do not understand something it continues to answers himself.

Well, seeing people acting in an irrational way drives me crazy.
Original post by WiSi
Well, I did that, and I find only job offer about physics that want to code, no job with physics involved in something that is not coding.

Thanks for thinking that I'm lazy, is so easy to judge a person behind a screen, I would like you meet you in real life and see if you would say again that I'm lazy.

Type into Google "physics grad jobs".

The first non-sponsored result is gradcracker, the site I mentioned earlier, and it automatically takes you to the physics page.

There are 158 graduate opportunities listed ranging from business operations to nuclear engineering, all accepting physics grads.

So you are either lazy or completely inept, I'll let you pick.

https://www.gradcracker.com/search/physics-graduate-jobs?order=relevance
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Type into Google "physics grad jobs".

The first non-sponsored result is gradcracker, the site I mentioned earlier, and it automatically takes you to the physics page.

There are 158 graduate opportunities listed ranging from business operations to nuclear engineering, all accepting physics grads.

https://www.gradcracker.com/search/physics-graduate-jobs?order=relevance

This website is very useful.
I do not usually search in english, so you can image that using my native language I get different results.

Anyway, like I said before, the situation is not very different from what I thought.
With few exception most of the jobs are about coding and data analysis, thinks that you can do also with a bachelor's degree in CS.

Consider that in the USA you can pick up many courses that are different from what you have been chosen.
For example if you joined a bachelor's degree in Physics, if you want you can have also classes of engineering on your study program, while this is not true for EU.
(edited 6 years ago)

you do not need to be a douche.

Quick Reply

Latest