The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Physics interview 2018 entry

I didn't find a thread like this so I thought I'd make one.

I have my physics interview tomorrowm, anyone else got an interview for physics?
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Anyone?

Say how it was when you can please.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hey I had mine today, you might have seen me there. I was the guy with the brown curly hair.
Original post by PatThatRat
Hey I had mine today, you might have seen me there. I was the guy with the brown curly hair.

I think I do actually. How did you find it?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Say how it was when you can please.

it wasn't that bad actually. first we were put to two groups and we had a tour of the whole campus .After that we went for lunch and another department tour with our interviewer and then we went in for our separate interviews. It was fairly easy he asked me a couple of personal questions and a long physics question that usef maclaurin series. I found a pretty ok except for the last part where I had to find the ratio between two forces and somehow I struggled with simple division lol.
I think I do actually. How did you find it?

I wasnt immensely happy with mine, the first question I was asked was "What is calculus?" and I wasnt sure of the exact definition I just had an idea of what it means exactly, so I asked the interviewer "Do you want a definition or just a description of what I understand by it" and she just looked at me blankly without saying anything. After that I was doing a problem involving centripetal forces on a slope and I was planning on doing it by setting the component of its weight down the slope equal to a component of the centripetal force (since it wasnt accelerating up or down the slope). But when I started using the component of the weight she told me I was wrong. So I panicked thinking I completely misunderstood the problem and she eventually got me to do it some other way involving the normal reaction. I'm a bit annoyed though because I got home and tried my way and it gave me the right answer :/.
I wasnt immensely happy with mine, the first question I was asked was "What is calculus?" and I wasnt sure of the exact definition I just had an idea of what it means exactly, so I asked the interviewer "Do you want a definition or just a description of what I understand by it" and she just looked at me blankly without saying anything. After that I was doing a problem involving centripetal forces on a slope and I was planning on doing it by setting the component of its weight down the slope equal to a component of the centripetal force (since it wasnt accelerating up or down the slope). But when I started using the component of the weight she told me I was wrong. So I panicked thinking I completely misunderstood the problem and she eventually got me to do it some other way involving the normal reaction. I'm a bit annoyed though because I got home and tried my way and it gave me the right answer :/.

Damn, thats rough. I wouldnt worry tho cuz most people think they did way worse in their interview than they actually did and the post interview offer rate is quite high so you should be alright.
Damn, thats rough. I wouldnt worry tho cuz most people think they did way worse in their interview than they actually did and the post interview offer rate is quite high so you should be alright.

What are your predicted grades? Apparently, after the interview, they make a decision on the interview performance and predicted grades (equal weighting). I have 4A* predicted + A* in EPQ, and I thought my interview went ok. I have been pooled until all interviews are done
Original post by JackYoung471
What are your predicted grades? Apparently, after the interview, they make a decision on the interview performance and predicted grades (equal weighting). I have 4A* predicted + A* in EPQ, and I thought my interview went ok. I have been pooled until all interviews are done

My predicted is A*A*A*A* so hopefully I'll get away with it. If I dont it's alright because I think I might prefer durham.
Original post by JackYoung471

Do you know how long on average it takes to get a response after the interview?
Do you know how long on average it takes to get a response after the interview?

You probably won't have to wait too long since your interview is so late but some of us have been waiting for months. On their facebook page they said all decisions for all courses will be given by 31st March.

Wow, this thread's gotten slightly old now, but I was there too :biggrin:
I was the girl writing in Calligraphy
Original post by rayestar
Wow, this thread's gotten slightly old now, but I was there too :biggrin:
I was the girl writing in Calligraphy

Oh wow, hi! Did you get in? I didn't unsurprisingly but I'm alright with it because I didnt really want to go there. Honestly I looked like I had no idea what I was doing in that interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending