The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Appleorpear
First off, your constant misquoting and stupidity makes you very annoying to talk to.

I never claimed ABB in 2003 is A*AA in 2018. Read my comment again.

Also why did you gloss over my entire comment just to push your Oxbridge agenda. You addressed none of my points.

Insults are not needed. If you don't want to talk to him, don't reply.
Original post by Notoriety
Insults are not needed. If you don't want to talk to him, don't reply.

I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to talk to someone who misquotes something in every single reply. If the OP didn't write like that people wouldn't instantly dismiss the (very interesting) thread topic which he has butchered.
Original post by Appleorpear
I too think that unis have become harder to get into, but nowhere near as much as your (often misquoted) views.

Maths went from 36.6% getting A's to 17.5% getting A* and 24.3% getting A from 2003 to 2018. 36.6% A goes to 41.8% A*/A. That means grades have gotten inflated, and no doubt even more inflated form 1999 to 2003 as shown earlier in the thread. AAB-ABB is pretty equal to A*AA-AAA nowadays,

You used 2003 as a data set. straight after you said ABB is equal to A*AA, unless you meant AAB is equal to A*AA and ABB = to AAA. If so, be more specific, because the way you've written it can technically interpreted as A*AA = ABB or A*AA = AAB. I went with the former, simply because of how outrageous this sounds.

So how is that a misquote? If anything it's misinterpretation but that stems from the way you've written it.

And I didn't reply to the other stuff because I don't see how it's relevant to the thread, No one's arguing against those points about STEM/Warwick etc.. Though the London unis have been popular for a long time.
We had to rank choices in my day. One political hot mess.
Original post by DrSocSciences
We had to rank choices in my day. One political hot mess.

That sounds so interesting and so awful at the same time

Maybe thats where the Durham myth came from*

*That they reject Oxbridge applicants who prefer Oxbridge to them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You used 2003 as a data set. straight after you said ABB is equal to A*AA, unless you meant AAB is equal to A*AA and ABB = to AAA. If so, be more specific, because the way you've written it can technically interpreted as A*AA = ABB or A*AA = AAB. I went with the former, simply because of how outrageous this sounds.

So how is that a misquote? If anything it's misinterpretation but that stems from the way you've written it.

And I didn't reply to the other stuff because I don't see how it's relevant to the thread, No one's arguing against those points about STEM/Warwick etc.. Though the London unis have been popular for a long time.

"AAB-ABB is pretty equal to A*AA-AAA"

It's common sense that AAB is equal to A*AA here.

Also why do you say "admission is still significantly easier - keyword being significantly."? Isn't the point of this thread to talk about how it is harder?

And finally how is the change in tuition fees, STEM vs humanities and AEA not relavant? Previously you mentioned how STEM had lower reqs than humanities, and this whole thread is about increasing reqs, so I gave the reasons for it which you then ignored.
Except many unis say explicitly on their offers A*AA-AAA and AAB-ABB. You don't compare the lowest to the highest.

Also you said "admission is still significantly easier". That's present tense.

But yes, update me when you get the results. Have you made sure you said AAA or better, or otherwise there will be an indicated drop when the A* is released.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 47
Why not 2005, 2010, 2015?

Also you need the number of university places for context:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/participation-rates-now-we-are-50/2005873.article
Reply 49
Lord Mackay of Clashfern came from a similar lowly family background in much more recent times, and also became Lord Chancellor; Wolsely's father is said to have been a butcher, Mackay's was a railway signalman.

My father and James Mackay were in the same class at primary school in Edinburgh, each getting bursaries to different secondary schools. James went on to Edinburgh and later Cambridge University my father to Oxford and later Edinburgh University, both ending up in the legal profession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Mackay,_Baron_Mackay_of_Clashfern
Original post by DJKL
Lord Mackay of Clashfern came from a similar lowly family background in much more recent times, and also became Lord Chancellor; Wolsely's father is said to have been a butcher, Mackay's was a railway signalman.

My father and James Mackay were in the same class at primary school in Edinburgh, each getting bursaries to different secondary schools. James went on to Edinburgh and later Cambridge University my father to Oxford and later Edinburgh University, both ending up in the legal profession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Mackay,_Baron_Mackay_of_Clashfern

That's probably the biggest coincidence I've seen on this forum.
Reply 51
If you want a real benchmark from earlier in time, I sat my Scottish Highers in 1977/1978 ending up with BBBBC. Edinburgh, in 1980 ,accepted me on the basis of these when there was only circa 8,000 undergraduates in total at the university, so circa 2,000 undergraduate admission places in a year.

My wife's was also admitted to Edinburgh in 1978 but I think she has one A in her five.

There are now over three times that number of admissions each year at a much higher tariff (BBBBC would not give me a chance) which suggests strongly there has been a fair degree of grade inflation in the intervening years to account for the disparity. Very few students back then got 5 highers at A, in 1974 in my sister's year I only recall two (I remember this because she was one of them and they were made joint Dux of the school being a pretty rare event for more than one pupil achieving 5 As in a year).
Original post by DJKL
If you want a real benchmark from earlier in time, I sat my Scottish Highers in 1977/1978 ending up with BBBBC. Edinburgh, in 1980 ,accepted me on the basis of these when there was only circa 8,000 undergraduates in total at the university, so circa 2,000 undergraduate admission places in a year.

My wife's was also admitted to Edinburgh in 1978 but I think she has one A in her five.

There are now over three times that number of admissions each year at a much higher tariff (BBBBC would not give me a chance) which suggests strongly there has been a fair degree of grade inflation in the intervening years to account for the disparity. Very few students back then got 5 highers at A, in 1974 in my sister's year I only recall two (I remember this because she was one of them and they were made joint Dux of the school being a pretty rare event for more than one pupil achieving 5 As in a year).

There's certainly been inflation in the 70s and 80s. It just seems uncertain to what extent it has happened in the 90s
Original post by DJKL

Edinburgh was accepting BBBBB (for engineering) as recently as 2008. Supply and demand and "contextual" factors also come into play, too.

I think what might have happened is that at select universities - and at many of these, some select courses - might have simply pulled away from the rest in terms of admissions requirements due to much more intense competition. We're seeing (or hearing) of some universities really having to try to compete for students (e.g. unconditional if firmed offers) whereas others are able to continually increase their entrance requirements.
Reply 54
Original post by Smack
Edinburgh was accepting BBBBB (for engineering) as recently as 2008. Supply and demand and "contextual" factors also come into play, too.

I think what might have happened is that at select universities - and at many of these, some select courses - might have simply pulled away from the rest in terms of admissions requirements due to much more intense competition. We're seeing (or hearing) of some universities really having to try to compete for students (e.g. unconditional if firmed offers) whereas others are able to continually increase their entrance requirements.

Also higher entry tariffs enhance league rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Also higher entry tariffs enhance league rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indirectly I imagine, and with a cap? Isn't it based on the student's grades? Similar to complete university guide with entry standards?
Reply 56
Indirectly I imagine, and with a cap? Isn't it based on the student's grades? Similar to complete university guide with entry standards?

That's what I'm referring to. And CUG (and the others) doesn't use entry standards, they use the tariff points achieved by accepted students. These include all qualifications, even if they aren't part of an offer requirement. e.g The AS / EPQ grades plus Music or whatever other qualifications.

But hiking up the entry requirements will also drive up the overall tariff points held by students.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Smack

Ngl, I don't know how comparable this is, because Scottish unis seem to ask more for A Level and English unis ask more for AH.

Like I've seen some Oxbridge and Imperial courses that ask for AAA (that's A*A*A* right)?
Reply 58
I started my course in biochemistry in 1985, the entry requirements were BCC, now its ABB or AAA depending on the A levels studied at the same university. Other universities like Newcastle and Lancaster were asking for CCC in 1985.

I did hear one girl who got into medicine with BBB at Manchester but most of the medics I knew had AAA.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ngl, I don't know how comparable this is, because Scottish unis seem to ask more for A Level and English unis ask more for AH.

Like I've seen some Oxbridge and Imperial courses that ask for AAA (that's A*A*A* right)?

It's difficult to compare A-levels with highers. AAA at AH is equivalent to A*A*A* on the basis that one cannot go higher than an A at AH and an A* at A-level. AH is meant to be roughly equivalent to a full A-level, although I would imagine A-levels are more in depth as Scottish students typically study more highers, in a wider range of subjects, then A-level ones do. Highers might be more similar to the IB than A-levels in this regard.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Scottish schools do not (or did not when I was still in school) have particularly good provision for AHs. This was likely because Scottish degrees are designed to begin from where highers finish, making AHs somewhat superfluous unless you wanted to go straight into second year (AHs are roughly equal to first year at Scottish universities) or an English university. In terms of grades, I do recall seeing statistics that something like 3-4 times as many A-level students achieved AAA (this was before the A* was introduced) than higher students achieved AAAAA. This wasn't always particularly well understood south of the border, as I remember seeing situations where mid-level English universities were asking for the same AH grades as Cambridge (who were probably much more aware of the Scottish education system).

I'm not particularly clued up on how the funding system works at Scottish universities, but my understanding is that is funding is provided for a number of places for Scottish students, and that there is separate funding for rUK places, meaning that they are not competing for places. Therefore, some Scottish universities that are not particularly popular with A-level applicants have entry requirements which are probably less difficult to achieve than for a applicant with highers - and possibly the vice versa too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending