The Student Room Group

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS- How much would you pay for a complete gcse course?

Hello GCSE people!

I'm in year 13 and due to start reading medicine next year. So as i did relatively good in my GCSEs i've had loads of people (irl and online) ask me for tips and revision help in general as well as very specific subject focused help.
SO, what i wanted to do is make an online course thingy with: videos, notes, past paper exam qs, revision technique help thats subject specific and a few other bits and bobs to sell as an online course.

This wont happens for this academic year obvs becuase i don't want to fail my own A-levels but its something i would consider doing next year or even during the summer

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS: would this be something useful that people would actually buy, assuming i price it sensibly? because i know you could literally teach yourself these techniques through trial and error like i did and still be fine but i though people might prefer everything organised, curated and presented in a easy to digest kind of way that they know they've covered everything for each subject?

-would you buy?
- why/ why not?
- at what price (so how much would you be willing to pay to get the above (notes, videos, pp Qs, posters) for each subject?
- any other comments?

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
get a job
There's already large and professional organisations (run by people experienced in this) that do the same thing. I don't see why somebody would go to you, really.
Reply 3
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
There's already large and professional organisations (run by people experienced in this) that do the same thing. I don't see why somebody would go to you, really.

very good point, i've personally tried using those organisations and the problem they have is that because theyre not students themselves, they do the exact same thing school does by not presenting the info in a way thats actually useful to someone taking the exam. theyre great for "knowlege/understanding " the content but not so good with techniques for gcse. i believe gcse is a matter of understanding what examiners want and giving it to them, anyone can do well if they know how and this is completely missed by those organisations that focus so much on the content without showing how to present your understanding to an examiner.

hope i made any sense? but i do get your point
Reply 4
Original post by Subzzzzz
get a job

be nice
and i have one, i'm a tutor :smile:
Reply 5
I'd say it's a great idea and you should go for it. Be prepared to spend many hours though putting together the content. Taking onboard the whole course is far too much and will take years (by the end of which the specifications would have changed!)
So think about starting with 1 subject and moving on from there. So far the ones I have come across (apart from the free ones) are Times tutorial and myGCSE.
Times tutorial costs £99 a year covers english maths and science with every topic includes a small intro and interactive questions and answers but it's not board specific, very outdated and not well organised.
myGCSE is board specific and uptodate, includes videos explaining the subjects, room for notes, practice questions and answers. The videos are brief and great for recaps on subjects. Cost £50.
If I was you I would start with something similar to myGCSE for maths. You can do the popular board first (Edexcel, and may be add aqa later on). Do brief videos for each topic (that would be around 120 for Edexcel and include practice questions and answers. Maybe even add past paper questions per topic section. For something in that range a cost £50 to £70 / year would be fair.
Remember that it's the parents you are selling these to and £50 is nothing in comparison with a £15000 year private schooling.
Reply 6
I think this would be so good, sometimes I feel lost in what to study and how to do it and from what you've said that's exactly what I would need, the problem is, is that the specifications will be changing and of course it'll be really hard for you to have to go through everything. I do think it's a good idea though.
There’s already an app called “Temple” (check it out) and it was made by past gcse students. I’m finding it rather useful revising for my GCSEs. However it focuses mainly on sciences. It’s also free of charge at the moment, so that might be hard to compete with. But I think if you focus on one area and do it well, (sciences maybe) then I can see it becoming successful. It would be a lot of work though so good luck.
Reply 8
Original post by bluemuffin
There’s already an app called “Temple” (check it out) and it was made by past gcse students. I’m finding it rather useful revising for my GCSEs. However it focuses mainly on sciences. It’s also free of charge at the moment, so that might be hard to compete with. But I think if you focus on one area and do it well, (sciences maybe) then I can see it becoming successful. It would be a lot of work though so good luck.

Thanks so much for feedback! would definitely need to consider making it free of charge or at least a few units free so people know what they're getting.
quick questions, i see that temple is a mobile app with some really good graphics:

1- do you prefer apps to online websites like say the mygcsescience page?
2- does the way temple is designed (kind of like a game) with graphics/ visuals appeal to you when revising (as in would people prefer a game preface rather than a more serious focus on the content with not as much "fun"?
Original post by Medicmba
Thanks so much for feedback! would definitely need to consider making it free of charge or at least a few units free so people know what they're getting.
quick questions, i see that temple is a mobile app with some really good graphics:

1- do you prefer apps to online websites like say the mygcsescience page?
2- does the way temple is designed (kind of like a game) with graphics/ visuals appeal to you when revising (as in would people prefer a game preface rather than a more serious focus on the content with not as much "fun"?

I enjoy using something that’s fun and interactive, while teaching me/testing me on challenging concepts. I find videos really useful as well, especially for sciences. It just has to have a good balance of both I think :smile:
Reply 10
No, this is really good, i'm not taking offence; the whole point of me making this thread is to get feedback before i jump into this blind, im seeing feasibility and gaps i haven't had the foresight to see but others have, so thank you.

This is still in the very early stages (in fact this is in the random thoughts in my head stage :biggrin:) Now, to address a few of your points:

1. why would i buy if i could find it all online: true, but your paying for the opportunity cost; you could soend hours online, finding a whole array of things that may or may not be exam board specific, gcse level, or even if it ticks all the boxes you may still be worried that your missing a piece of info that your required to know that you may not even realise. with this system, you are guaranteed to cover all the content you need, without the time cost.

2. i know this isn't for everyone and that's fine, many people would buy such a thing but many would especially if they were struggling at school or didn't understand they're teachers. the evidence that there is a market for this is in the fact that people do buy similar products as well as the general conversations on this topic on tsr

3. in terms of being vague about what exactly im providing, again this is very early days and im still deciding but in general the idea is to have a website with vidoes explaining the content/topic, work through example qs in the vid, then have related qs to go along with it that are similar to exam qs. at some point, i would have actual past papers on the website but those would have to be "unlocked" by you actually covering the content before doing them (almost as a mock). along with this i might go on to make an app thats linked to the website (with the same graphics etc to make it not disjointed) the app would be less intense and be designed to use on the go (eg on the bus) so no vids on the app, just Qs/ tests (lke quizlet/ temple gcse) but this is very long term and may not even happen.

4- regarding the biggest issue being that i did "relatively well" in GCSE, i said that to give an idea of my background, but at the risk of sounding arrogant, i actually did very well with 12A*s and an A. I would only do this thing for the subjects i got 100% in (sciences and maths)

i've probably left a few things out, but this is the majority of what i would say.

Quick Reply

Latest