The Student Room Group

Should I start my University Application?

I'm in Year 11 going towards Sixth form (hopefully) and from what I have heard people have told me that I have to apply for a university this year (2018) but I don't know what I want to do and which uni I want to go to.

Need advice and help?
I'm bad with the English system, but sixth form is two years right? Which would mean you wouldn't start university until Sept/Oct 2020. If so you would apply autumn/winter 2019.
Original post by sinfonietta
I'm bad with the English system, but sixth form is two years right? Which would mean you wouldn't start university until Sept/Oct 2020. If so you would apply autumn/winter 2019.

Yes, it is 2 years. Oh okay, but should I start writing my personal statement since it is apparently supposed to be long.
Original post by GCSE_18
Yes, it is 2 years. Oh okay, but should I start writing my personal statement since it is apparently supposed to be long.

There's no need to start this early and it's actually not very long: 47 lines / 4,000 characters. You'll most likely hit the line limit before writing that many characters. I've gone through UCAS twice receiving 9 offers in total (10 if we include clearing :tongue:) and spent no more than a week on my personal statement each time.
Original post by GCSE_18

No. Everyone's personal statement is the same length, as it's limited by characters/words/lines in order to make it fair.

Even if you know already what you want to study at university and why, it's likely that both you and the content of your PS will change in the next 18 months. You will be better equipped to write it near the time, because you'll have done more stuff to talk about and you'll ideally be a better writer whether through your studies or because your teachers will prepare you for UCAS applications.
Far too early! You're in year 11 and will probably change your mind by the start of year 13, which is when you can apply.
I wouldn't start the application yet, that's something probably best left to when your actually in sixth form, however I would start considering where you would like to go, obviously your GCSEs will dictate this slightly, but start a draft list of where interests you so that you can start going to open days, most Unis will have an open day early next (Academic) year so you can start to get a real feel for the Universities you like.
Original post by sinfonietta
There's no need to start this early and it's actually not very long: 47 lines / 4,000 characters. You'll most likely hit the line limit before writing that many characters. I've gone through UCAS twice receiving 9 offers in total (10 if we include clearing :tongue:) and spent no more than a week on my personal statement each time.

Lol, wow okay so you think that it should not trouble me for now.
Original post by Greatleysteg
No. Everyone's personal statement is the same length, as it's limited by characters/words/lines in order to make it fair.

Even if you know already what you want to study at university and why, it's likely that both you and the content of your PS will change in the next 18 months. You will be better equipped to write it near the time, because you'll have done more stuff to talk about and you'll ideally be a better writer whether through your studies or because your teachers will prepare you for UCAS applications.

Oh okay thank youuuu.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Far too early! You're in year 11 and will probably change your mind by the start of year 13, which is when you can apply.

Yes, very true thank you too.
Original post by JaguarLover101
I wouldn't start the application yet, that's something probably best left to when your actually in sixth form, however I would start considering where you would like to go, obviously your GCSEs will dictate this slightly, but start a draft list of where interests you so that you can start going to open days, most Unis will have an open day early next (Academic) year so you can start to get a real feel for the Universities you like.

So a list for now should be good? Thank you :smile:
Your idea of what you want to study may change after being exposed to something new or being inspired by something so it's best to leave it for now. Though it's good that you're thinking ahead but with something like this it's best to give it as much as time as possible as your interests may completely change.
Too early to start writing. Just the right time to do interesting things that will support the content of your application.
Original post by Anagogic
Your idea of what you want to study may change after being exposed to something new or being inspired by something so it's best to leave it for now. Though it's good that you're thinking ahead but with something like this it's best to give it as much as time as possible as your interests may completely change.

Thank you for your advice x
Original post by DrSocSciences
Too early to start writing. Just the right time to do interesting things that will support the content of your application.

Okay yes, I will do that.
Original post by GCSE_18
I'm in Year 11 going towards Sixth form (hopefully) and from what I have heard people have told me that I have to apply for a university this year (2018) but I don't know what I want to do and which uni I want to go to.

Need advice and help?

No you don't need to do UCAS until your final year at college you need to go to open days and thing first the Uni need your predicted A-level grades to decide weather to make you an offer or reject you.
Original post by DrSocSciences

Also it's never too early to start thinking about what cities you like. When you do come to apply don't get bogged down by the league tables you could be in the best university in the world but if you don't like where you are you won't last

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending