The Student Room Group

A Level options for Law at University.

Hi! I’m currently in Year 11 and I’m studying Maths, English Literature, Welsh 2nd Language, Religious Studies, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, German, Music and History (I’ve already got an A* in Numeracy and English Language). I’m predicted to get all A*s, so I’m finding it hard to decide which subjects to drop.
I want to study Law at university (preferably Cambridge or UCL if i don’t get a Cambridge offer) and I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me. I am definitely going to study History and German at A Level, and the other subjects I am considering are Maths, English Literature and Religious Studies. Some people have told me to pick 4 humanities, but I’m a bit hesitant to have zero STEM subjects (I love maths). What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

There are no specific required subjects, law isn't required. Traditional subjects like History, English, Economics are always helpful I'd say - focus on what you think you'll enjoy and do well at.
History is a good choice, as is English Literature. You really don't need to go all in on the humanities, but having at least 2 that are displays of your essay writing skills is a good idea I think.
Reply 3
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
History is a good choice, as is English Literature. You really don't need to go all in on the humanities, but having at least 2 that are displays of your essay writing skills is a good idea I think.

For Law, do you think English Literature or Religious Studies would be a better idea?
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
There won’t really be a better option generally. The better option for you will be which one you think you will get the highest grade in and/or enjoy the most

Thanks for the help!
Reply 5
I'm currently doing English Literature, Geography and Psychology and I also want to pursue law.

Most (if not all) universities don't really "require" a subject as such, however some do state that they would prefer if you took at least one essay-based subject, to demonstrate your skills and help you with the law course.
Original post by MiriamButcher
Hi! I’m currently in Year 11 and I’m studying Maths, English Literature, Welsh 2nd Language, Religious Studies, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, German, Music and History (I’ve already got an A* in Numeracy and English Language). I’m predicted to get all A*s, so I’m finding it hard to decide which subjects to drop.
I want to study Law at university (preferably Cambridge or UCL if i don’t get a Cambridge offer) and I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me. I am definitely going to study History and German at A Level, and the other subjects I am considering are Maths, English Literature and Religious Studies. Some people have told me to pick 4 humanities, but I’m a bit hesitant to have zero STEM subjects (I love maths). What do you guys think?

Definitely take Maths if you enjoy it, it's a demanding yet highly respected subject, that show you have a diverse skill set.

Between Lit and RS I'd advise you take the subject you can achieve higher in + or you enjoy more!
Reply 7
Original post by Haider_A
I'm currently doing English Literature, Geography and Psychology and I also want to pursue law.

Most (if not all) universities don't really "require" a subject as such, however some do state that they would prefer if you took at least one essay-based subject, to demonstrate your skills and help you with the law course.

Do you think that two essay-based subjects would be more well received than one?
Reply 8
Do you think that two essay-based subjects would be more well received than one?

Go with J-SPs advice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Not entirely...

I would recommend just going for the subjects that you are enthusiastic about and the ones that you are willing to work hard in :smile:

While one essay-based subject may assist your application and chances of being accepted, even that isn't a requirement, so just focus on your subject choices

I wouldn't recommend taking 4 humanities: (I'm a 1st year law student at Cambridge) and took Eng lit Class Civ Maths and Bio. Was about to drop Bio and asked for permission from my college; got the reply from the Admissions tutor that that would be ok since I'm still taking maths (i.e. an analytical subject). Ended up doing all 4 (got a C in Bio tho rip) but it shows that STEM subjects are just as important. Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
I wouldn't recommend taking 4 humanities: (I'm a 1st year law student at Cambridge) and took Eng lit Class Civ Maths and Bio. Was about to drop Bio and asked for permission from my college; got the reply from the Admissions tutor that that would be ok since I'm still taking maths (i.e. an analytical subject). Ended up doing all 4 (got a C in Bio tho rip) but it shows that STEM subjects are just as important. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I felt unsure about taking four humanities as I pride myself on being a well-rounded individual.
Reply 12
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_

My high school have recently told me that they won’t be offering German at A Level, which I’m heartbroken about but it’s the best state high school in Cardiff so I won’t be changing sixth forms. I have three options now:

1.) Maths, History, English Lit, Religious Studies.

2.) Maths, History, English Lit/RS, and Chemistry.

3.) Maths History, English Lit/RS, and Music.

Would all be acceptable, and which would you say would make me stand out the most?
Original post by PlayWithMarkers

I agree that history and english literature are both good choices. A language would be a good choice as well.
There arent usually any specific subjects required for law. 2 humanities and something like maths would be good choices. Whatever you enjoy most and feed you would do best at.
Reply 14
which would you say would make me stand out the most?

The subjects that you enjoy the most and will do best at.
Reply 15
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree that history and english literature are both good choices. A language would be a good choice as well.
There arent usually any specific subjects required for law. 2 humanities and something like maths would be good choices. Whatever you enjoy most and feed you would do best at.

Unfortunately my sixth form have withdrawn he German A Level course (which I’m devastated about). I guess the fourth AS isn’t that important?
Unfortunately my sixth form have withdrawn he German A Level course (which I’m devastated about). I guess the fourth AS isn’t that important?

Are there any other languages that you could consider. You could do history, english literature and maths?
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)
Are there any other languages that you could consider. You could do history, english literature and maths?

They offer French, but I haven’t done it before so that’s not very viable. I guess I could do Welsh 2nd Language since my mother speaks Welsh, but I’m not too keen on that idea.
Reply 18
They offer French, but I haven’t done it before so that’s not very viable. I guess I could do Welsh 2nd Language since my mother speaks Welsh, but I’m not too keen on that idea.

*Any* of your 3 subject lists are fine. Indeed it would be better to focus on three subjects, not spreading yourself across four.

A*A*A > A*ABB
(edited 6 years ago)

It would be better to do something that you enjoy and feel you are going to do well in.
What subjects are you thinking of doing at the moment, now that you cant do german.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending