The Student Room Group

Struggling to find which Uni to go to and which open days to choose

Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and am looking to study Medicine, but I'm not sure which Uni would suit me or where to start in terms of looking for one.

For background info, I got one 9 (English Lit) two 8s (English lang and maths) five A*s (bio, chem, physics, history, spanish) and two As (geog and art), and by the time I start my application I'll have one week of work experience at a homeless shelter and 6 months in a pallative care home (not sure if that's a lot tbh). I'm considering applying to Oxbridge/ UCL/ ICL but I'm not sure which unis would actually suit me. How have any past applicants applied (strategy etc.) and how should I choose which open days to go to?
Make a spreadsheet on excel of all the medical schools in the UK. Cross of any ones you know you definitely don't want to go to, even if its for reasons like being too far or not liking the area. Cross off any that you would be unlikely to get into due to GCSEs. Cross of any ones that you don't like the course of (maybe due to lack of intercalation?). Of the ones that are left, find out when the open days are- if you live near London you should be able to go to most/all of the London uni open days quite easily. Find out which open days are on weekends and book those so you won't miss school for them. Once you've done your UKCAT, if its low eliminate unis where you wouldn't have a good chance and if its high, perhaps choose some UKCAT heavy unis so you can capitalise on the good score.
Reply 2
Original post by hello2906
Make a spreadsheet on excel of all the medical schools in the UK. Cross of any ones you know you definitely don't want to go to, even if its for reasons like being too far or not liking the area. Cross off any that you would be unlikely to get into due to GCSEs. Cross of any ones that you don't like the course of (maybe due to lack of intercalation?). Of the ones that are left, find out when the open days are- if you live near London you should be able to go to most/all of the London uni open days quite easily. Find out which open days are on weekends and book those so you won't miss school for them. Once you've done your UKCAT, if its low eliminate unis where you wouldn't have a good chance and if its high, perhaps choose some UKCAT heavy unis so you can capitalise on the good score.

Thanks, this sounds like a good idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending