The Student Room Group

Confused about relationship status question

I have lived with my girlfriend for more than a year now and have always put single on my student finance applications, because of how the categories are described on student finance england. For example, the only two reasonable options are single and living with your partner as though you are married. The second option seems very vague and I am unsure as to what they mean. Also they describe single as "never been married or in a civil partnership" which is true for me; so single seems like the best option for me. Am I right or wrong? And if I am wrong will it really matter since they are going off my parent's income anyway?
Original post by Axisboldaspat
I have lived with my girlfriend for more than a year now and have always put single on my student finance applications, because of how the categories are described on student finance england. For example, the only two reasonable options are single and living with your partner as though you are married. The second option seems very vague and I am unsure as to what they mean. Also they describe single as "never been married or in a civil partnership" which is true for me; so single seems like the best option for me. Am I right or wrong? And if I am wrong will it really matter since they are going off my parent's income anyway?

If you're a dependent student then single is fine to put, if you were an independent student it would be different.
Original post by claireestelle
If you're a dependent student then single is fine to put, if you were an independent student it would be different.

Thanks for the quick reply! What is the distinction between dependent and independent?
Thanks for the quick reply! What is the distinction between dependent and independent?

Independent is if you're over 25 or worked for three years before university or have no parents or you're married and some other situations. Dependent is anything else.

Hi Axisboldaspat,

If you are over 25 years old at the start of the academic year and living with your girlfriend, then you would indicate living with partner and provide your partners financial information.

If you are under 25 years old at the start of the academic year and not married, we do not need to know that you are living with your girlfriend, you would be assessed as living elsewhere but we still use your parents financial information, as considered dependent on them.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending