The Student Room Group

Gcse aqa french (9-1)

Hey,

It would be nice to know who else studies this as well; so we could all collaborate to share and exchange stuff for revision and study help.

For all of you taking this course, bon chance!

Scroll to see replies

Bonjour. I actually hate my French teacher so much I haven’t learnt ANYTHING since September. Here’s to my French GCSE.
What are you predicted? Mines a grade 8 which is fine but am only worried about the listening as that is the hardest for me.
this subject is sooo hard i use to be getting like top marks in year 9 now im gettin grade 3s and 4s :frown:
Original post by rainbowcat1437
Bonjour. I actually hate my French teacher so much I haven’t learnt ANYTHING since September. Here’s to my French GCSE.
What are you predicted? Mines a grade 8 which is fine but am only worried about the listening as that is the hardest for me.

That's pretty much me! In my last report, I'm predicted a 8+ but the one skill I'm behind on is listening; so hard to revise that!

The advice I got is just to "immerse" yourself in the language, by listening to french radio and stuff but the problem is I don't know which type of radio to listen to and whether it's actually helping since I don't understand anything. I'm starting proper revision about now so hoepfully all goes well.
Original post by Gent2324
this subject is sooo hard i use to be getting like top marks in year 9 now im gettin grade 3s and 4s :frown:

I know; it's so difficult! I think the key is just learn ALL the vocab and you're halfway there (i.e. listening, reading) and your writing and speaking kind of go hand in hand. It's not like other subjects in which you can revise a day before - you have to do a little bit each day and hope all goes to plan.

NB: Vocab is on the spec.
Original post by anonymous_1947
Hey,

It would be nice to know who else studies this as well; so we could all collaborate to share and exchange stuff for revision and study help.

Bonjour! Currently in my last year of GCSE French and we are having to rush the last modules at the moment due to the slow progress we made with our old teacher! Personally I'm most worried with the listening and speaking as it's difficult to hear the correct thing in listenings and I never know what to say in english for speakings, let alone French! I'm predicted a 6 but I to aim for a better grade, fingers crossed :smile:
That's pretty much me! In my last report, I'm predicted a 8+ but the one skill I'm behind on is listening; so hard to revise that!

The advice I got is just to "immerse" yourself in the language, by listening to french radio and stuff but the problem is I don't know which type of radio to listen to and whether it's actually helping since I don't understand anything. I'm starting proper revision about now so hoepfully all goes well.

I have trouble sleeping so am using it to my advantage. I downloaded a French audiobook from YouTube and listen to that at night (as well as stuff for English lit).
I find French quite easy as I’ve been speaking it since I was 3 and I speak Italian which really helps with grammar and new words!
Original post by claudi.s123
Bonjour! Currently in my last year of GCSE French and we are having to rush the last modules at the moment due to the slow progress we made with our old teacher! Personally I'm most worried with the listening and speaking as it's difficult to hear the correct thing in listenings and I never know what to say in english for speakings, let alone French! I'm predicted a 6 but I to aim for a better grade, fingers crossed :smile:

Totally understand what you're saying. I think just getting yourself accustomed to the French language; especially for myself since I struggle with it so much. From today, I'm just going to listen to some French radio (current affairs and all that; I know I'm boring!) and use the CGP CD to help with that as well.

You'll be fine! Good luck!
Hey,

yeah im doing it and it aint fun. would reccomend quizlet for vocab set revision and creating little cards for grammar
Original post by Max Adam
Hello, also studying French in year 11 for GCSE. Got my predicted grade of an 8 for my mocks but it still is a subject I am probably the weakest at. I started it a year late (year 8 as a second language) and my memory is awful for learning pieces of information like vocabulary. Listening is by far my worst part of French, at least I'm better in the other 3 sections.

Yeah totally understand. I think virtually everyone finds listening the worst; it's just getting used to the language (i.e. listening to radio etc). For vocab, use Quizlet; it's a lifesaver! Basically it's an online flashcard tool and they have tons of features to help you learn new vocab. You can make your own sets and learn from it, or there will be some sets on their site made by other people which will help.

Good luck mate.
Yeah totally understand. I think virtually everyone finds listening the worst; it's just getting used to the language (i.e. listening to radio etc). For vocab, use Quizlet; it's a lifesaver! Basically it's an online flashcard tool and they have tons of features to help you learn new vocab. You can make your own sets and learn from it, or there will be some sets on their site made by other people which will help.

Good luck mate.

quizlet is my babe
I have trouble sleeping so am using it to my advantage. I downloaded a French audiobook from YouTube and listen to that at night (as well as stuff for English lit).
I find French quite easy as I’ve been speaking it since I was 3 and I speak Italian which really helps with grammar and new words!

Ah! so are you Half-French or something? Must be an advantage I suppose :biggrin:! I also speak other languages like Hindi and Punjabi but the problem is they bear no resemblance to French! I think the process of just learning the language is easier since the idea is the same, but the vocab and grammar is just a pain!
Ah! so are you Half-French or something? Must be an advantage I suppose :biggrin:! I also speak other languages like Hindi and Punjabi but the problem is they bear no resemblance to French! I think the process of just learning the language is easier since the idea is the same, but the vocab and grammar is just a pain!

No im half Italian but apparently i asked to go to French lessons when I was 3 haha. I speak it at home sometimes as my mum has a degree in both French and german though
Original post by Clapped Pringles
yeah im doing it and it aint fun. would reccomend quizlet for vocab set revision and creating little cards for grammar

Tell me about it! I dunno why I'm doing this for A-Level as well! And yeah, like you said before, Quizlet is also my babe! It's just so helpful and it saves lugging your paper flashcards wherever you go, you can just have them on your phone which makes them so portable.

We'll get through this! Just like 2 more months of this!
No im half Italian but apparently i asked to go to French lessons when I was 3 haha. I speak it at home sometimes as my mum has a degree in both French and german though

Oh, well ciao then (My Italian is appalling don't mind me)! I'm not sure, but I suppose Italian and French share similar vocab and grammar structures?
Tell me about it! I dunno why I'm doing this for A-Level as well! And yeah, like you said before, Quizlet is also my babe! It's just so helpful and it saves lugging your paper flashcards wherever you go, you can just have them on your phone which makes them so portable.

We'll get through this! Just like 2 more months of this!

then an 11 week holiday of pulling and partying
Totally understand what you're saying. I think just getting yourself accustomed to the French language; especially for myself since I struggle with it so much. From today, I'm just going to listen to some French radio (current affairs and all that; I know I'm boring!) and use the CGP CD to help with that as well.

You'll be fine! Good luck!

I have been using the CGP CD and it's been a huge help! French radio also sounds like a good idea so I think I'll do that too.
Thanks for the reply, you will do amazingly!

heya! i'm doing this too- for listening revision, duolingo is really good because it has stories you can listen to in french and answer comprehension questions on. french tedx talks (there's a playlist on youtube) are good to put on in the background while you're working and most of them have subtitles for french or english.
hope this helped, good luck guys! :biggrin:
Original post by Clapped Pringles
then an 11 week holiday of pulling and partying

You know it.
Original post by claudi.s123
I have been using the CGP CD and it's been a huge help! French radio also sounds like a good idea so I think I'll do that too.
Thanks for the reply, you will do amazingly!

You're welcome, as so will you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending