The Student Room Group

can i get braces for free at the age of 15 for cosmetic reasons

im a 15 year old boy who wants braces as i want to have straight teeth. I went to the dentists but they said my teeth are fine. However i have a few teeth out of line. I want braces to straighten these teeth. Can i get them for free or do i have to pay?
If they have said that you dont need them but you want them, then I think you have to pay
Original post by benjot12
im a 15 year old boy who wants braces as i want to have straight teeth. I went to the dentists but they said my teeth are fine. However i have a few teeth out of line. I want braces to straighten these teeth. Can i get them for free or do i have to pay?

You'd have to pay; if your dentist thought you would medically benefit from braces they would have referred you to an orthodontist for free treatment by now. Braces cost in the region of £2,000 to £3,000.
Reply 3
ok, thanks guys!

Is there anyway i can pay less than £2000-£3000 pounds for braces
Use google.
Probably in another country you can go to a dentist and get braces done there for cheaper
Reply 5
ok, thanks guys!

What country do you live in?
Because i got mine £150 each month or two months depending on what i wanted and i live in london
ok, thanks guys!

The exact cost of braces will depend on the dentists (each dentist charges what they see fit) and the type of braces you get e.g. The traditional metal ones (cheaper) or more aesthetically pleasing invisible braces (more expensive) etc. as well as if your getting both upper and lower arches done or just one. It's worth doing a google search for dentists near you and talking to your own dentist to see what they can offer you
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by HI124
What country do you live in?
Because i got mine £150 each month or two months depending on what i wanted and i live in london

i live in london, will that make things cheaper?
Reply 8
i live in london, will that make things cheaper?

Yeah £150 each two months is £900 a year
Plus it depends on your teeth and how fast they move
Reply 9
Original post by HI124
Yeah £150 each two months is £900 a year
Plus it depends on your teeth and how fast they move

thanks, and what do you mean by how fast your teeth move
Reply 10
thanks, and what do you mean by how fast your teeth move

Some people’s teeth move faster in the right position then others.
Original post by k.n.h.
Buy them on eBay or the dark web if you prefer

Not very helpful or funny advice. Stop posting m8
Reply 12
My friend was in a similar position to you, his teeth were pretty fine I thought and so did his dentist but he just wanted to straighten a few teeth. If you ask your dentist they should've referred you to the orthodontist and then the orthodontist tells you if you are eligible for treatment covered by the NHS. However the orthodontist told my friend that because it's not very urgent/bad he'll be put on a waiting list and may have to wait around a year to get braces (but he's still getting them).
Reply 13
Original post by peeked
My friend was in a similar position to you, his teeth were pretty fine I thought and so did his dentist but he just wanted to straighten a few teeth. If you ask your dentist they should've referred you to the orthodontist and then the orthodontist tells you if you are eligible for treatment covered by the NHS. However the orthodontist told my friend that because it's not very urgent/bad he'll be put on a waiting list and may have to wait around a year to get braces (but he's still getting them).

well thats a relief!! Thank you
Reply 14
well thats a relief!! Thank you

No problem! (I'm also a 15 year old boy at I'm getting braces on Monday, but my teeth are pretty bad :frown: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending