The Student Room Group

Tony Blair's own poll shows 66% want to leave the EU 'at whatever cost'

I have to admit laughing at his failure to stitch up this poll.

tbp.png

They then claimed it was hijacked, just like Blair thinks people didn't really want to leave in the referendum and people didn't really want us to not illegally invade Iraq with mass protests in London.

Scroll to see replies

Are you suggesting it is a true reflection of opinion in the country. As we get ever closer to a hard Brexit, so to are the bad times. We haven't had bad times in this country since the 70s. I hope people are prepared.

It feels like the ultimate case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Brexiteers seem so fixated on making trade deals around the world they have completely lost sight of the intimidate danger to the large companies already employing people and paying tax that rely on access to Europe.

And no one is actually telling us why this is good. They keep telling us what Brexit isn't. It isn't going to be like Mad Max. Good! Well done. Have a biscuit.

I am yet to hear what it will be. I certainly know what it is having listened to the repeated warnings about a hard Brexit from business, GCHQ and the military.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I know my stance over Brexit has changed. I was remain, but after giving big government some thought, I changed my mind soon after the refurendum. I wish I had changed my mind sooner, but what can you do?

Regardless of what I think, I believe that most people would like to leave in the name of democracy. This is how the British public has voted, after all - it would be terribly undemocratic to see the government overrule the vote of the people.
Reply 3
Most of the leave at whatever cost crowd are old, retired and have money and good pensions and property.

Its the younger people who need jobs that will suffer if companies move to another country or downsize or don't invest in the first place. Just look at the govt that crow every time a car company invests but never talk about when they sack workers or close a factory.

Actually, even people with money will suffer if the economy goes bad because their assets will be worth less and they will have less money.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by munchm_
I know my stance over Brexit has changed. I was remain, but after giving big government some thought, I changed my mind soon after the refurendum. I wish I had changed my mind sooner, but what can you do?

Regardless of what I think, I believe that most people would like to leave in the name of democracy. This is how the British public has voted, after all - it would be terribly undemocratic to see the government overrule the vote of the people.

I too voted for Remain and am now for Leave.

One of the biggest eye openers for me was seeing how completely bat **** insane a lot of remainders became after the vote: often being as loopy and far more intolerant than even the maddest of ukippers
Reply 5
He's a **** won't **** off. Major is the same.
Original post by Davij038
I too voted for Remain and am now for Leave.

One of the biggest eye openers for me was seeing how completely bat **** insane a lot of remainders became after the vote: often being as loopy and far more intolerant than even the maddest of ukippers

Well that's silly reasoning.

Like saying 'I would support reducing immigration but a lot of crazy people also support it'. You should support or oppose something on the merits of it itself.

Mind you, no one of the remain side has done anything as bat sh*t crazy as labelling our judges 'enemies of the people'.
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
Most of the leave at whatever cost crowd are old, retired and have money and good pensions and property.

Its the younger people who need jobs that will suffer if companies move to another country or downsize or don't invest in the first place. Just look at the govt that crow every time a car company invests but never talk about when they sack workers or close a factory.

Actually, even people with money will suffer if the economy goes bad because their assets will be worth less and they will have less money.

I dislike the way we treat the elderly in politics. When it comes to the NHS, they're put at the forefront of an emotional appeal to increase rather than revise spending, but when it comes to the ballot, they are discredited and shunned, regardless of their years of experience under the UK government. These people did not just get retirements and property out of nowhere - many of them worked hard for it.

When we leave the EU, we will hopefully remove all of the regulatory burdens that came with membership. New competitors will be able to rise up in the market because of this. Current companies are unlikely to up and leave - most major European leaders are open to trade with Britain post-Brexit - but even if they do, there will be plenty of entrepreneurs to replace them.

This could actually turn out to be very good for the younger generations. Many of them do not possess large amounts of capital currently, and therefore are not as affected by the drop in the value of the pound, unlike those who have saved (and, as you have already said, those who have retired) their money already. New business ventures will be open to them, and it will be much easier for them to export their goods as the pound is worth less currently.

Domestic trade is also likely to increase as it becomes more difficult to import goods from other countries. Businesses will have more of an incentive to buy their raw materials from home rather than from abroad, which would keep money circulating in the economy, rather than it leaving the country.
Tony Blair's own goal can easily explained by the fact that older people will remember him for 1) Iraq 2) not applying transitional migration controls when new countries joined the EU 3) giving away the EU rebate for reforms that never happened.
Well that backfired didn’t it Tony?
Of course, who is going to side with a war criminal? Which speaking of I am still waiting for the day both George Bush and Tony Blair get tried for war crimes.
Original post by The RAR
Of course, who is going to side with a war criminal? Which speaking of I am still waiting for the day both George Bush and Tony Blair get tried for war crimes.

I recently read up on Abu Ghraib under the Bush administration. The man is an utter monster.
Original post by DeBruyne18
Well that's silly reasoning.

I said it was eye opening, not that it was my main factor. The main was I wanted an EU Superstate to impose my militantly atheist beliefs on everyone. The fact I thought that most leave voters were nuts and or stupid was the cherry on the cake for me (at the time- I’ve obviously gone on a journey since then) .

Mind you, no one of the remain side has done anything as bat sh*t crazy as labelling our judges 'enemies of the people'.

Well, a lot of them seem to suggest that it’s the people which are the enemy of the people. Or claiming with a straight face that brexit has nothing to do with the single market (and immigration)

That said I’m not a fan of the Mail (or the Express and The Sun) which are all sensationalist trash as is the Mirror.
Still mugs me off when people call Tony a war criminal, and i’m literally ideologically the complete opppsite of him and don’t suppprt pretty anything he did.

One of a few things me and @L i b still agree on!😂
I said it was eye opening, not that it was my main factor. The main was I wanted an EU Superstate to impose my militantly atheist beliefs on everyone. The fact I thought that most leave voters were nuts and or stupid was the cherry on the cake for me (at the time- I’ve obviously gone on a journey since then) .

Well, a lot of them seem to suggest that it’s the people which are the enemy of the people. Or claiming with a straight face that brexit has nothing to do with the single market (and immigration)

That said I’m not a fan of the Mail (or the Express and The Sun) which are all sensationalist trash as is the Mirror.

I don't think either side came out the EU referendum debate well at all. It was probably the worst debate this country has ever had. It essentially became a tory personality contest.
I can't ever imagine anything being that vitriolic and hateful, on all sides, over any other issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by munchm_
This could actually turn out to be very good for the younger generations. Many of them do not possess large amounts of capital currently, and therefore are not as affected by the drop in the value of the pound, unlike those who have saved (and, as you have already said, those who have retired) their money already. New business ventures will be open to them, and it will be much easier for them to export their goods as the pound is worth less currently.

Totally agree with your optimistic assessment of the oportunitites of brexit, and the elderly generally have more life experience and certainly not the attitude "screw my children, I won't be around as long."

However the idea the pound has crashed (not nessecarily good or bad) is a myth, it only went so low because the BoE halved rates. It goes up and down, currently against the US dollar, it's 1.38, just a week before the referendum it was 1.41 (then rose when a remain victory was predicted).
Might be because Middle Class Memes for Rees-Moggian Teens shared it.
I don't think either side came out the EU referendum debate well at all. It was probably the worst debate this country has ever has.

On this we can agree. One thing that I haven’t changed my mind on is that referendums are stupid and shouldn’t happen. Despite changing my mind on the the issue, I still greatly respect Ken Clarke for his principle on this issue.

I can't ever imagine anything being that vitriolic and hateful, on all sides, over any other issue.

Wait until Rees Mogg faces off against Jeremy Corbyn after we leave the EU in 2 years. We ain’t seen nothing yet 😂
On this we can agree. One thing that I haven’t changed my mind on is that referendums are stupid and shouldn’t happen. Despite changing my mind on the the issue, I still greatly respect Ken Clarke for his principle on this issue.

Wait until Rees Mogg faces off against Jeremy Corbyn after we leave the EU in 2 years. We ain’t seen nothing yet 😂

I'm also very against referendums for the reasons you gave. They bring out the worst in people. I actually think Corbyn and Rees Mogg will get on quite well. It's their supporters who are the concern.
I'm also very against referendums for the reasons you gave. They bring out the worst in people. I actually think Corbyn and Rees Mogg will get on quite well. It's their supporters who are the concern.

Agreed again.

That said, I think both of their supporters may (rightly) also be more concerned with blairite sabatouers from within. Hopefully they’ll. e forced out and have to try and a Macron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending