The Student Room Group

Why bother with 4th A level?

My school forces me to do 4 subjects and I do the EPQ too - they won't let me drop my 4th until end of Year 12.
I want to do medicine - so i need biology chemistry and maths
I chose french as a 4th since I really enjoy the language but NOT at A-level.
Should I bother revising for French if I'm going to drop it at the end of the year? We don't do AS anymore, so does it matter what grade I would get in my Year 12 internal exam?
if you don't do an AS for it, and won't face any negative blacklash(i.e from parents) don't work at it.
Reply 2
Original post by ultimateradman
if you don't do an AS for it, and won't face any negative blacklash(i.e from parents) don't work at it.

fair enough - just hope the school don't roast me for it...
unis don't get to see your year 12 internal exam results do they?
if you are doing AS french then you will be doing an actual AS exam and eventhough your dropping it it wont matter, but the grade you get will still be on your application to your uni.
Hi! I'm applying for medicine for 2018 entry and am doing Bio, Chem, Maths and German.

My offer from my first choice doesn't even include German and it actually specifies that the 3 grades have to be in my main three. I'm gonna revise and work for German, but not putting too much effort in. The only help it does is my second choice have offered me a grade lower if I get a B in it (I need AAAB or A*AA).

Focus on your main three and don't stress over French/ EPQ grades too much, as they won't really help with your application.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Anonymous
fair enough - just hope the school don't roast me for it...
unis don't get to see your year 12 internal exam results do they?

They see your A2 predictions, which will probably be the grades you get in your Y12 exams.
My school forces me to do 4 subjects and I do the EPQ too - they won't let me drop my 4th until end of Year 12.
I want to do medicine - so i need biology chemistry and maths
I chose french as a 4th since I really enjoy the language but NOT at A-level.
Should I bother revising for French if I'm going to drop it at the end of the year? We don't do AS anymore, so does it matter what grade I would get in my Year 12 internal exam?

Was in a similar situation as I also want to do medicine and started off the year with biology, chemistry, maths and history. I THANKFULLY managed to drop history a month ago and I am glad I did so because now I can focus on getting the best predicted grades for the main three subjects so I suggest you do the same as AS grades don't really matter as much anyway. So if you flop in French then don't be too worried. However, at least aim to pass as it may help in interviews for medicine as you could say you have an AS level in French.
Reply 7
Original post by westcw13
Hi! I'm applying for medicine for 2018 entry and am doing Bio, Chem, Maths and German.

My offer from my first choice doesn't even include German and it actually specifies that the 3 grades have to be in my main three. I'm gonna revise and work for German, but not putting too much effort in. The only help it does is my second choice have offered me a grade lower if I get a B in it (I need AAAB or A*AA).

Focus on your main three and don't stress over French/ EPQ grades too much, as they won't really help with your application.

Hope that helps!

Wow! Which unis did you apply for? I don't think I'll spend too much time on French - my EPQ should be done in the next month, so at least that doesn't drag on..
Reply 8
Original post by MainlyMathsHelp
Was in a similar situation as I also want to do medicine and started off the year with biology, chemistry, maths and history. I THANKFULLY managed to drop history a month ago and I am glad I did so because now I can focus on getting the best predicted grades for the main three subjects so I suggest you do the same as AS grades don't really matter as much anyway. So if you flop in French then don't be too worried. However, at least aim to pass as it may help in interviews for medicine as you could say you have an AS level in French.

Thanks! Did you drop it in Year 12 or 13?
Thanks! Did you drop it in Year 12 or 13?

Year 12
Wow! Which unis did you apply for? I don't think I'll spend too much time on French - my EPQ should be done in the next month, so at least that doesn't drag on..

You should be fine then! I've got offers from Cambridge and Birmingham, still waiting to hear from Nottingham and got rejected by Bristol before interview lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending