The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading university accommodation for insurance choice holders

Reading don't guarantee halls places for insurance holders.

But.... does anyone know how many insurance choice holders actually do finally get places in halls by the time term starts?
Original post by dombeyii
Reading don't guarantee halls places for insurance holders.

But.... does anyone know how many insurance choice holders actually do finally get places in halls by the time term starts?

Hi :smile:

Unfortunately, there isn't a straight forward answer to your question.

I know people who put Reading as their insurance choice who got a place in halls and others who found private halls or a shared house. It really does depend on how many people who come through clearing or through insurance choice.

If you weren't successful in securing a place in halls, then there is a lot of advice available and lots of different accommodation available in Reading.

Sorry, there isn't a specific number of how many people get halls.
All I can say is as soon as you firm Reading on results day, (if you do not get your firm choice) apply for halls!

Hope this helped, any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
Final year Philosophy student :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading

Unfortunately, there isn't a straight forward answer to your question.

I know people who put Reading as their insurance choice who got a place in halls and others who found private halls or a shared house. It really does depend on how many people who come through clearing or through insurance choice.

If you weren't successful in securing a place in halls, then there is a lot of advice available and lots of different accommodation available in Reading.

Sorry, there isn't a specific number of how many people get halls.
All I can say is as soon as you firm Reading on results day, (if you do not get your firm choice) apply for halls!

Hope this helped, any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie

Thanks Sophie,

As I understand it Reading University now groups "insurance" place applicants together with all "clearing" place applicants on results day on the 16th of August for accommodation allocation.

I guess that "early clearing applicants" ie those who have their results before 16th August can apply for accommodation on 1st August.

The outcome seems to be that Reading are choosing to discourage english "insurance choice" applicants who are taking standard 'A' levels with results on 16th August.

Thanks Sophie,

As I understand it Reading University now groups "insurance" place applicants together with all "clearing" place applicants on results day on the 16th of August for accommodation allocation.

I guess that "early clearing applicants" ie those who have their results before 16th August can apply for accommodation on 1st August.

The outcome seems to be that Reading are choosing to discourage english "insurance choice" applicants who are taking standard 'A' levels with results on 16th August.

I understand this is a difficult situation!

You are right that clearing students and insurance students are almost in the same boat. However, I do not know how the allocation goes in choosing between clearing and insurance students. If you are concerned about this maybe email the accommodation team to see if they can give you any advice?
Here is the email:
[email protected].

I am not sure how many people get their results early, on the website I can see that it says you must apply for accommodation by 1st August if you are
post-graduate.
This wouldn't apply to you. There are some specific post-graduate halls on campus, so don't worry, this won't affect your chance at getting halls. Since, these halls are already allocated to post-grads.

I hope this has helped reassure you!
Any further questions please feel free to ask!

Just remember that Reading is your insurance choice, I'm sure you are well on track to meet the requirements of your firmed choice! I understand it's important to have a back up plan, i.e. with the accommodation of your insurance choice. But, try not to worry too much!

Sophie
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading

I understand this is a difficult situation!

You are right that clearing students and insurance students are almost in the same boat. However, I do not know how the allocation goes in choosing between clearing and insurance students. If you are concerned about this maybe email the accommodation team to see if they can give you any advice?
Here is the email:
[email protected].

I am not sure how many people get their results early, on the website I can see that it says you must apply for accommodation by 1st August if you are
post-graduate.
This wouldn't apply to you. There are some specific post-graduate halls on campus, so don't worry, this won't affect your chance at getting halls. Since, these halls are already allocated to post-grads.

I hope this has helped reassure you!
Any further questions please feel free to ask!

Just remember that Reading is your insurance choice, I'm sure you are well on track to meet the requirements of your firmed choice! I understand it's important to have a back up plan, i.e. with the accommodation of your insurance choice. But, try not to worry too much!

Sophie

Most universities DO NOT leave you without a guarantee of accommodation in first year when you make them your insurance choice. Reading university appears to have a shortage of accommodation for first years.

All "early clearing students" can apply presumably when they have their results before 16th August.

It is a valid question when making a decision as to which university to choose as insurance. Accommodation is important in first year when making friends and settling it.

An insurance is exactly that, an insurance so I don't understand your answer regarding my firm choice. If this was the case there would be no point in having an insurance at all, but just to go into clearing.
(edited 6 years ago)

Most universities DO NOT leave you without a guarantee of accommodation in first year when you make them your insurance choice. Reading university appears to have a shortage of accommodation for first years.

All "early clearing students" can apply presumably when they have their results before 16th August.

It is a valid question when making a decision as to which university to choose as insurance. Accommodation is important in first year when making friends and settling it.

An insurance is exactly that, an insurance so I don't understand your answer regarding my firm choice. If this was the case there would be no point in having an insurance at all, but just to go into clearing.

Hello :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that you are not pleased with our accommodation system for insurance choice students, however we simply could not guarantee accommodation to all those who firmed and put Reading as their insurance as we would just not have enough to go round. Reading is a large University, with over 19,000 students, with very extensive accommodation that on the whole provides rooms for all those who need it.

Rest assured, if you do decide to put Reading as your insurance choice then the university will do their upmost in ensuring that you have suitable accommodation. Whether that be on the campus, or providing you with assistance in finding private halls or a shared house with others in a similar situation. A couple of my friends in first year ended up coming to Reading when it was their insurance choice, some lived with me in halls (they got a space albeit a slightly reduced choice) others lived in a shared house. This was not detrimental to them making friends, as you have ample opportunities for this during freshers week (where you have a whole week of activities for those who are not assigned a hall), during your lectures, during societies and sports. You also find that people who have firmed Reading change their minds, and then their rooms become available for other insurance choice offer holders to move into.

I was an early clearing student, as I had taken a gap year and was unsure on the course I wanted to apply for - I did get accommodation, but it wasn't my chosen hall but was better than nothing.

What Sophie was saying in the previous post is that all being well you will end up at your firm choice University. If for whatever reason this doesn't happen then the Reading university will assist you in either placing you in accommodation or giving you assistance to find your own.

I hope this helps, but if you have anymore thoughts or questions then please let us know.

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending