The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angel_Chen
Chemistry then physics, which is why I'm having a hard time chooing for a levels. I understand chemistry at the moment better, but because physcis a level is 40% maths I feel like it would be a better chose. So my school says if timetabling allows, I can do both then drop one in the 1st month. Both are gradae 9 standard though. I know my school does the science olympiads at a level, it probably isn't worth doing anyways, I haven't finished the specification yet for anything other than maths.

Why can't you take both? Since you like Maths, Physics may be better but there's some Maths in Chem - e.g. moles and stuff, logarithms and acids, bond angles (C4 vectors), etc. Yeah, the GCSE Olympiads are a bit pointless (apart from the Maths ones :P ) but next year you can take the A level ones (a lot of fun, I heard).
Reply 181
Original post by thekidwhogames
Honestly, I don't fit anything in xD

I do 15 hours of Maths A level study every Saturday and on the week-days, I do 3 hours of Olympiad Maths, 2 hours of science revision and an hour of homework. On Sundays, I do 2 hours English, 1 hour for each French/Computing and 3 hours of science revision.

Please don’t burn yourself out. Do you play PS4? :smile:
Original post by Black Water
Please don’t burn yourself out. Do you play PS4? :smile:

I try not to xD

No, I don't really like video games though I watch movies sometimes and chill with friends over social media in breaks. You?
Why can't you take both? Since you like Maths, Physics may be better but there's some Maths in Chem - e.g. moles and stuff, logarithms and acids, bond angles (C4 vectors), etc. Yeah, the GCSE Olympiads are a bit pointless (apart from the Maths ones :P ) but next year you can take the A level ones (a lot of fun, I heard).

If you've read my bio, I'm definitely doing maths, FM and econ, because I want to do investment banking. Then I want to do an EPQ and I might do Mandarin, I don't know if it's worth it as e.g. LSE wouldn't accept it, I'm a British born Chinese. Then I want to do a science. I don't have your work ethic and my school wouldn't allow me to do 5 a levels plus an EPQ. Do you want to do an EPQ?
(edited 6 years ago)
I try not to xD

No, I don't really like video games though I watch movies sometimes and chill with friends over social media in breaks. You?

Do you play any games then, since you name is the kid who games? :smile:
If you've read my bio, I'm definitely doing maths, FM and econ, because I want to do investment banking. Then I want to do an EPQ and I might do Mandarin, I don't know if it's worth it as e.g. LSE wouldn't accept it, I'm a British born Chinese. Then I want to do a science. I don't have your work ethic and my school wouldn't allow me to do 5 a levels plus and EPQ. Do you want to do an EPQ?

Ah yeah sorry I forgot. So then Maths/FM/Economics and then Physics I'd suggest. You can definitely handle it and you can find some resources for it (I found some amazing resources for Chemistry; worksheets, videos, etc) if you choose that or for the Maths stuff (a lot of people can send you a lot of books and stuff). Doing an EPQ is also quite useful then in your case. Do you speak Mandarin fluently - e.g. would you have to revise it for the A level exam? If you have to revise it then as you said, it may not be worth it but if you are very fluent - take it in year 12 and get that in your arsenal too. I think Maths, FM, Eco and EPQ (and Mandarin if you're fine with it and don't really need to spend time revising) is great but I don't know what to decide between Physics/Chemistry - they're both great. Maths-FM-Eco are 3, Physics/Chem is 4 (Mandarin is 5th but if you're fine with it, the school should let you) and EPQ is the icing on the cake. But I actually don't know - Physics looks good but so does Chemistry and since you like Chemistry and also Physics, it's an extremely hard decision :s-smilie:
Do you play any games then, since you name is the kid who games? :smile:

Ah no xD I just picked that name very randomly but I'm not much of a gamer (last time I played a game was like months or even a year ago).
Ah yeah sorry I forgot. So then Maths/FM/Economics and then Physics I'd suggest. You can definitely handle it and you can find some resources for it (I found some amazing resources for Chemistry; worksheets, videos, etc) if you choose that or for the Maths stuff (a lot of people can send you a lot of books and stuff). Doing an EPQ is also quite useful then in your case. Do you speak Mandarin fluently - e.g. would you have to revise it for the A level exam? If you have to revise it then as you said, it may not be worth it but if you are very fluent - take it in year 12 and get that in your arsenal too. I think Maths, FM, Eco and EPQ (and Mandarin if you're fine with it and don't really need to spend time revising) is great but I don't know what to decide between Physics/Chemistry - they're both great. Maths-FM-Eco are 3, Physics/Chem is 4 (Mandarin is 5th but if you're fine with it, the school should let you) and EPQ is the icing on the cake. But I actually don't know - Physics looks good but so does Chemistry and since you like Chemistry and also Physics, it's an extremely hard decision :s-smilie:

I love borrowing other peoples notes, I'm so lazy about making my own, ever I make really good and detailed ones, or I just borrow them from e.g. online :smile:, but I'm not fluent in Mandarin, I'm good and I'm improving but my first langugae is English. So if i'm ready next year I'll do Mandarin a level, I've already done the As, so... Are you sticking to just 2 a levels or are you taking more and will you do an EPQ?
What's your idea of relaxing?
Reply 188
I try not to xD

How are you getting along? Those hours are really gruelling. Oh ok, don’t you play any? I actually just got one today. :smile:
How are you getting along? Those hours are really gruelling. Oh ok, don’t you play any? I actually just got one today. :smile:

Do you play Fortnite on the PC?
Reply 190
Do you play Fortnite on the PC?

No sorry. I got a PS4 today and my brother downloaded that game for me. Since a lot of people are playing it. :smile:
I love borrowing other peoples notes, I'm so lazy about making my own, ever I make really good and detailed ones, or I just borrow them from e.g. online :smile:, but I'm not fluent in Mandarin, I'm good and I'm improving but my first langugae is English. So if i'm ready next year I'll do Mandarin a level, I've already done the As, so... Are you sticking to just 2 a levels or are you taking more and will you do an EPQ?
What's your idea of relaxing?

Ah, note-making is really long I agree xD I don't really use notes though thank God. Ah then in that case if you're ready by next year, take it considering you already have an AS in year 11 - I think you'll defo be ready for it next year! I'm probably going to be doing 2 next year and sitting STEP, AEA and just training for the Maths Olympiads (and Chem/Physics) in my (excess) spare time. I'll never take an EPQ - I'm terrible at those things xD

Relaxing right now means A level study xD Any spare time I have will go into that but normally talking to my friends or browsing the net.

I'm actually so excited for the exams weirdly enough and I'm enjoying this process but it is a bit stressful. Ah, I don't play at all :frown:

You got a PS4? Hope you enjoy it - a lot of people have Fornite so I think you may like it! :smile:
Ah, note-making is really long I agree xD I don't really use notes though thank God. Ah then in that case if you're ready by next year, take it considering you already have an AS in year 11 - I think you'll defo be ready for it next year! I'm probably going to be doing 2 next year and sitting STEP, AEA and just training for the Maths Olympiads (and Chem/Physics) in my (excess) spare time. I'll never take an EPQ - I'm terrible at those things xD

Relaxing right now means A level study xD Any spare time I have will go into that but normally talking to my friends or browsing the net.

What a levels are you doing since you're doing Maths and FM this year? I'm not sure how you have any excess/spare time. You are probably a really organised person, being able to cram everything in. Also if you don't use notes, how do you revise and how. I haven't strted proper revision as I don't know how, I'm really good at cramming and I feel if I revise things now, I'd probably forget it again by the time GCSEs come around. only 2/3 months left. They seem so close, yet feel really far away.
What a levels are you doing since you're doing Maths and FM this year? I'm not sure how you have any excess/spare time. You are probably a really organised person, being able to cram everything in. Also if you don't use notes, how do you revise and how. I haven't strted proper revision as I don't know how, I'm really good at cramming and I feel if I revise things now, I'd probably forget it again by the time GCSEs come around. only 2/3 months left. They seem so close, yet feel really far away.

Probably Chem and Physics next year to be honest xD

I'm not organised at all haha but I think for some reason I'm a good crammer of information. I revised for my Psychology mocks a few hours before I went to bed (2 years of content) and did well and on my subjects as a whole. I think it's because I can focus on it and get myself to remember stuff quickly. For all my subjects, I don't write notes. I watch the guide, try to understand the concepts then read guide and do questions. I think understanding > memorising which is why note-making for me won't work since I also don't know how to make notes. You should watch mygcsescience and do worksheets now and then re-do them at GCSE time (you won't forget it if you recap the same thing weekly, I can give you my login if you want). Yeah it's so far but so close :frown:
Reply 195
I'm actually so excited for the exams weirdly enough and I'm enjoying this process but it is a bit stressful. Ah, I don't play at all :frown:

You got a PS4? Hope you enjoy it - a lot of people have Fornite so I think you may like it! :smile:

You’re right, that is weird. Don’t know anyone else who’s excited about their exams. How long do you stay up until before you go to sleep?

Yeah I got it as an early birthday present. :smile: Yeah haha, my brother has a PS4 and he plays that so he downloaded it for me and taught me how to play it.
You’re right, that is weird. Don’t know anyone else who’s excited about their exams. How long do you stay up until before you go to sleep?

Yeah I got it as an early birthday present. :smile: Yeah haha, my brother has a PS4 and he plays that so he downloaded it for me and taught me how to play it.

Yeah aha idk it's weird and usually 3 AM.

Ah - happy early birthday then! :smile:
You liking it so far?
Reply 197
Yeah aha idk it's weird and usually 3 AM.

Ah - happy early birthday then! :smile:
You liking it so far?

3AM?? How do you not get tired before? I cannot stay up that long, it’s impossible for me. When do you wake up?

Thank you. :smile: It’s really good so far, haven’t played/owned a console for a while.
3AM?? How do you not get tired before? I cannot stay up that long, it’s impossible for me. When do you wake up?

Thank you. :smile: It’s really good so far, haven’t played/owned a console for a while.

I do but I gotta get work done ahah and if I have school, I sleep at 1-2 and wake at 6:30 and on weekends 3 then at 10.

Ah, same! You should pick up some more great games and play some more :smile:
Reply 199
I do but I gotta get work done ahah and if I have school, I sleep at 1-2 and wake at 6:30 and on weekends 3 then at 10.

Ah, same! You should pick up some more great games and play some more :smile:

Oh my God I feel so sorry for you. May God bless your soul. I go to sleep at like 11pm and can barely wake up at 6:30am for school.

I will do. :smile: The one that I bought came with FIFA 18 but I also bought Black Ops 3 and 4 Modern Warefare Remastered. Also, do you mind me asking if you’re a Muslim?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending