The Student Room Group

Would I stand a good chance at being accepted for English at Exeter?

Hey, I know UCAS applications aren't until way later this year but I was wondering if with this combinaton of A Levels I would stand a chance of getting into Exeter to study BA English?

I'm doing
English Language and Literature - Currently working at grade is A/A*
Psychology - Currently working at grade is A
Spanish - Currently working at grade is C (but obviously being a huge step up from GCSE my college said it's expected)

At GCSE I got two 9s in English, 7 in maths, A* in Latin language, RS, Spanish, German and As in Art, Core and additional science and B in Drama, C in Latin Literature

I'm planning on doing an EPQ that goes into the relationship between spanish and english literature as well and I'm doing a MOOC on literature and mental health

I know people usually hate these kinds of posts but the reason I'm insecure is because I am taking Lang/Lit A level as opposed to just Lit.
Exeter says 'candidates may offer GCE AL English literature or the combined English Language and Literature' but I've heard rumours of how lang/lit is supposedly not well respected and with the competition being so fierce I'm really worried I'll be disadvantaged by this.

I absolutely adore the look of Exeter's English degree, especially its dips into creative writing and the broad range or modules.

So would anyone have any advice on this? Xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You'll definitely get in. My grades are nowhere near those and I got accepted.
Reply 2
Original post by _Jo_Jo
You'll definitely get in. My grades are nowhere near those and I got accepted.

Thank you for replying so quickly :smile:
So happy you got in! How's your experience been there so far?

Ahh thanks 😅😅 if you don't mind me asking what A levels did you take?? Xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm still doing my a levels - I'm studying English Lit, French and Art - I have no idea what my working at or target grades are but I know that A and A* are not among them.
Honestly I never planned on getting in but 🤷🏽 I got lucky.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _Jo_Jo
I'm still doing my a levels - I'm studying English Lit, French and Art - I have no idea what my working at or target grades are but I know that A and A* are not among them.
Honestly I never planned on getting in but 🤷🏽 I got lucky.

Are you talking about Penryn Campus?
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
Are you talking about Penryn Campus?

I think so yeah
Original post by _Jo_Jo
I think so yeah

They are two different courses, entirely separate. BA English Exeter (which is AAA-AAB) and BA English Penryn (which is ABB-BBB). That said, both courses have high offer rates (94% to 98%). It should be no problem for OP to be accepted onto either.
Reply 7
They are two different courses, entirely separate. BA English Exeter (which is AAA-AAB) and BA English Penryn (which is ABB-BBB). That said, both courses have high offer rates (94% to 98%). It should be no problem for OP to be accepted onto either.

Hi thank you so much for your reply :smile: so do universities care more about the grades and me getting them than the whole lang/lit vs lit thing? Xx
Reply 8

My bad , I forgot to say I didn't apply for english :facepalm:I applied for liberal arts
Original post by _Jo_Jo
My bad , I forgot to say I didn't apply for english :facepalm:I applied for liberal arts

Hahah, so easy to forget what you're going to spend the next 3-4 years studying? That's a good course, mind, so congrats on the offer.

Original post by bluebells1
Hi thank you so much for your reply :smile: so do universities care more about the grades and me getting them than the whole lang/lit vs lit thing? Xx

Yeah, they say they accept lit/lang in place of lit. They said it for a reason! Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest