The Student Room Group

Why don't i like maths?

I'm currently doing A2 Maths and it's my hardest subject. Compared to my other subjects I dread the thought of doing past papers and doing questions like ugh i wish I liked it more.

At AS i got a D and i'm retaking all three modules again this summer.

So can i learn to like maths more? and if so, how do i do this??
Reply 1
Hey, I am in the exact same boat,got D at AS, and retaking all modules.

Tbh only papers will help, if not do every question from textbooks, that’s good for practice.
It may not help directly with the exams, but I think it may be worth branching out to look at some of the cooler aspects of maths. They may inpire you!

I particularly recomment to YouTube channels Numberphile, Standup Maths, and 3blue1brown.

Also, if you want to read a rant, look up "Lockhart's Lament"! It's an essay on everything schools do wrong when they teach maths, and it may help you understand why you feel this way.
Reply 3
Original post by piamiahh
glad i'm not alone! what's your game plan to do well for maths?

Do every textbook question, and pray 😂😂 but on a serious note, do every question and make sure my resits are amazing I mess up the A2’s
Reply 4
Original post by LawAnon
Do every textbook question, and pray 😂😂 but on a serious note, do every question and make sure my resits are amazing I mess up the A2’s

:smile: how are you finding your A2 modules?
Reply 5
Original post by piamiahh
:smile: how are you finding your A2 modules?

C3 and C4 I’m currently okay with, hard on some aspects but managing, but I’m doing M2 and I don’t think I even know what’s happening 😂😂
Original post by LawAnon
C3 and C4 I’m currently okay with, hard on some aspects but managing, but I’m doing M2 and I don’t think I even know what’s happening 😂😂

I can definitely relate.

My teacher for M1 last year was absolutely useless. I was struggling with M2 at the beginning but luckily caught up with M1 stuff because my new teacher is amazing.

At least there's the 'easy' topic of integration for speed, acceleration and distance.
Reply 7
Original post by FryOfTheMann
I can definitely relate.

My teacher for M1 last year was absolutely useless. I was struggling with M2 at the beginning but luckily caught up with M1 stuff because my new teacher is amazing.

At least there's the 'easy' topic of integration for speed, acceleration and distance.

See that’s what I thought, but all the topics are easy in concept,but the goddamn exam questions are a joke, I finished M2 but can’t finish a past paper so just need to pray now lol, and my teacher is worst than useless.
Original post by LawAnon
See that’s what I thought, but all the topics are easy in concept,but the goddamn exam questions are a joke, I finished M2 but can’t finish a past paper so just need to pray now lol, and my teacher is worst than useless.

I'm finding that the only questions that utterly trip me up are the hinge/'ladder-on-a-wall' questions. Cannot remember/understand how to do them for the life of me. I'm just hoping I'll be able to beat the knowledge into my head before the exam. At least the majority of content stems from M1 and centres of mass is quite nice.
Reply 9
Think like this, for Maths there is LOADS of support out there, websites, YouTube, questions and obviously TSR whereas Geography which I am doing there is dip**** support.
Reply 10
Original post by The RAR
Think like this, for Maths there is LOADS of support out there, websites, YouTube, questions and obviously TSR whereas Geography which I am doing there is dip**** support.

Yea but I do physics which takes 99% of my time, maths takes the other 1% and my third subject has 0%
Original post by LawAnon
Yea but I do physics which takes 99% of my time, maths takes the other 1% and my third subject has 0%

Physics is basically further further maths! That's honestly how I see physics even tho I don't do it
Because you're... normal? Hint: you don't have to like math to be good at it.
Original post by The RAR
Physics is basically further further maths! That's honestly how I see physics even tho I don't do it

So Chemistry is further further further maths?
Original post by rickyrossman
So Chemistry is further further further maths?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Chemistry doesn't need much maths compared to physics.
Reply 15
Original post by Dynam1cdave
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Chemistry doesn't need much maths compared to physics.

Forget the maths in physics, that’s the nicer part, the explanation etc is the harder part

Quick Reply

Latest