The Student Room Group

What is your talent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gjd800
Noice. I'll give it another go when I'm not halfway out the door to a gig :laugh:

In the interest of well and truly throwing down the gauntlet:

Spoiler

My pitch is far from absolute, and I can't 'read' time-signatures to save my own life, but given the above I do wonder whether it was remiss not to augment my (apparently formidable) musical intuition with some measure of formal tuition—I still somewhat resent being deprived of the opportunity to learn piano, on account of our having not the wherewithal to acquire even the most dilapidated of second-hand uprights. Oh well, so passes the glory of the world.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
I can recite, word for word, this introductory monologue from the film V for Vendetta entirely from memory:

Naturally, this leads me to infer that I have a well-developed sense of memory.

I also have incredible balance.

Co-incidentally.

Your link doesn't appear for me, unfortunately.
Your link doesn't appear for me, unfortunately.

Oops; corrected.
Original post by Sadflower
You are all talented human beings!
Mine is art :wink:

mine is being undesirable
Got quite a few tbf. I'm a good snooker and pool player, got several century breaks under my belt and I've won a few pool tournaments. I can still do loads of flip tricks on a skateboard from my years as a skater during my teens. I can also snowboard. I work with music and have produced a lot, worked with local artists and so on. I've also always been a skilled writer, my English teacher always urged me to pursue a career in writing and I've written articles for numerous websites, some paid. I'm also a highly proficient CoD Zombies player :biggrin:
Original post by Profesh
Oops; corrected.

Presumably this is just one of the many fruits of your aforementioned aptitude for music production? I don't particularly hold myself up as any great expert in the field of music (not as yet, anyway), which means that, regrettably, I'm unable to provide any sort of meaningful analysis beyond expressing my sincerest enjoyment of this particular piece.
Original post by Mehru1214
Origami! I've been folding for as long as I can remember!

Where did you learn it? Are there any particularly useful books on the subject, which you would recommend?
Original post by Zxyn
Photography, me and the piano just click, also guitar kind of. I feel like I can sing but I’ve never recorded myself and played it back, but everyone claps on karaoke night and says I sound good but they’re drunk so idk if I should trust them.

I’m also good at networking, public speaking, I’m creative too but i haven’t found any channels I can express it through apart from music, my art (paintings and drawings) are usually disappointing lol

Hey! Music is amazing! I don't know about the drunktards lol but if they truly say you're that good, then keep on singing! Honestly! Experiment and record yourself, you may just surprise you're self even more :wink: you're a regular Disney princess lmao
Zombies player you say?!?! HEY! Now I know who to go to when the zombie apocalypse hits!!! LOL
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Got quite a few tbf. I'm a good snooker and pool player, got several century breaks under my belt and I've won a few pool tournaments. I can still do loads of flip tricks on a skateboard from my years as a skater during my teens. I can also snowboard. I work with music and have produced a lot, worked with local artists and so on. I've also always been a skilled writer, my English teacher always urged me to pursue a career in writing and I've written articles for numerous websites, some paid. I'm also a highly proficient CoD Zombies player :biggrin:
You are not a yellow starburst, you are a pink one. Embrace it!
Original post by YouAreAYute
mine is being undesirable
Reply 51
Original post by Profesh
In the interest of well and truly throwing down the gauntlet:

Spoiler

My pitch is far from absolute, and I can't 'read' time-signatures to save my own life, but given the above I do wonder whether it was remiss not to augment my (apparently formidable) musical intuition with some measure of formal tuition—I still somewhat resent being deprived of the opportunity to learn piano, on account of our having not the wherewithal to acquire even the most dilapidated of second-hand uprights. Oh well, so passes the glory of the world.

It's never too late, man! It seems a shame that you have this level of skill but aren't applying it (that said, do what you like!).

I've played in relatively successful gigging bands with guys that don't come anywhere near that level of discernment. You could really do stuff.
I kinda do anything if dared...especially if theres a cash reward. Last week I ate a tin of dog food for a tenner.

People have given me a pretty catchy nickname for it... 'That guy who will do anything if you dare him to, especially if theres money it, but nothing that imposes too much risk/harm to health, because that's where things get silly and people get hurt'.

I will be touring Europe this summer and my highlight of the tour will be when I tie a 20 kg weight around my nutsack and throw it from the top of the Eiffel Tower. Don't worry, I'm a devout Christian and so with Gandhi on my side nothing can possibly go wrong.

I will post tour dates, at er...a later date.
Reply 53
Original post by Sadflower
Hey! Music is amazing! I don't know about the drunktards lol but if they truly say you're that good, then keep on singing! Honestly! Experiment and record yourself, you may just surprise you're self even more :wink: you're a regular Disney princess lmao

Why thank you :smile: Although I'm a guy lol :tongue:
Being able to type at 90WPM
I'm good with words and have perfect pitch.

Unfortunately the two don't combine very well; music I've written is only mediocre.
I’m honestly not naturally talented at anything.

I can play piano to an okay level because I struggled on with lessons for TEN YEARS and managed to crawl my way to grade 6. Have no natural ability to read music. I can sort of play by ear if it’s a really simple tune but that’s the limit really!

In school I persevered with so many activities I just wasn’t good at - dance, art, singing, acting. Had no natural affinity to any of it.

Maybe I’m yet to find my talent!!!
Original post by HateOCR
Mathematics. Such a beautiful subject and i love the way it links into science just like they were made for each other. Its just amazing because we make up all these equations based on what we perceive from our 5 (main) senses. Whether or not we solve the worlds problems, the universe doesn’t care and just does its thing. So cool.

(...)

It is so nice how you described mathematics. But all in all I think it has limits. If mathematics exists to make up equations based on our main senses, mathematics ends up there where our perception ends up. So all what people can't perceive can't also be transcriped by mathematics.
Where did you learn it? Are there any particularly useful books on the subject, which you would recommend?

I started off youtube, and there are some good books, such as ORigami Sequence by Quentin Trollip.
Original post by Zxyn
Why thank you :smile: Although I'm a guy lol :tongue:

Ahhhhhh sorry! Disney prince then! :-P

Quick Reply

Latest