The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan's knife crime campaign used fake endorsements from celebrities

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/03/mayor-londons-knife-campaign-used-fake-endorsements-john-boyega/

The campaign's adverts used tweets from fake accounts appearing to be John Boyega and Jessie J as endorsements of the campaign. Both have now confirmed that they did not endorse the campaign.
Why ****ing bother? Lmao nobody is pro knife crime. You do not need celebrity endorsements for a campaign that's trying to stop kids stabbing each other.
Reply 2
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Why ****ing bother? Lmao nobody is pro knife crime. You do not need celebrity endorsements for a campaign that's trying to stop kids stabbing each other.

Don't worry. I'm sure sooner or later we will hit upon the right combination of slogans and hashtags, and the gangstas and roadmen will suddenly see the error of their ways, lay down their weapons and whenceforth shall live peace and harmony with one another forever.
Reply 3
Meh who cares. If it helps disarm the scum who keep stabbing everyone mores the better.
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
Meh who cares. If it helps disarm the scum who keep stabbing everyone mores the better.

It won't.
Reply 5
Original post by Wōden
It won't.

Pray tell how you intend to prove that negative?
Original post by Napp

These sort of things have been done before and they only ever get worse
Reply 7
Original post by Napp

Well I don't have any definitive 'proof', but I have seen so many of these anti knife crime campaigns over the years (had plenty of them drummed into our heads at school, despite being a very rural area where knife crime was pretty much non-existant and those carrying knives where more likely to be going fishing rather than wanting to stab up a rival dealer or something), and none of them ever seem to have any significant impact upon the problem. At the end of the day, those who are inclined towards violence and who unlawfully carry knives as weapons, aren't going to be disuaded by a few lame slogans.

I think the money funnelled into these campaigns would be better spent on practical, on-the-ground policing instead.
Reply 8
Original post by Wōden
Well I don't have any definitive 'proof', but I have seen so many of these anti knife crime campaigns over the years (had plenty of them drummed into our heads at school, despite being a very rural area where knife crime was pretty much non-existant and those carrying knives where more likely to be going fishing rather than wanting to stab up a rival dealer or something), and none of them ever seem to have any significant impact upon the problem. At the end of the day, those who are inclined towards violence and who unlawfully carry knives as weapons, aren't going to be disuaded by a few lame slogans.

I think the money funnelled into these campaigns would be better spent on practical, on-the-ground policing instead.

Aye fair enough on that one.
I do imagine theyre in a bit of a quandry though - the only sure fire way to reduce knife crime [aside from locking them all up] is to reduce knives which is more or less impossible given the civil uses for them.
Original post by paul514
These sort of things have been done before and they only ever get worse

What do you mean sorry?
Original post by Napp

I don't think Jessie J fake endorsing the campaign meant to do such would speed proceedings up at all. Also don't believe somebody wouldn't stab somebody else because Jessie J said she thought stabbings were bad on twitter.
Original post by Napp
What do you mean sorry?

The campaigns on knife crime backed by celebs or people who’s kids have been killed.

The problem just gets bigger every few years regardless.

The cause of these issues is mostly poverty and a lack of a feeling personal security so they feel the need to join a gang or carry a weapon
Original post by Wōden
Don't worry. I'm sure sooner or later we will hit upon the right combination of slogans and hashtags, and the gangstas and roadmen will suddenly see the error of their ways, lay down their weapons and whenceforth shall live peace and harmony with one another forever.

Well, you can see why they think this, seeing as millions of people in this country seem to think that an amalgam of hashtags and slogans is an effective counter-terrorism narrative.
Original post by Wōden
Well I don't have any definitive 'proof'

Thought so.
The problem here is down to a lack of police on the streets and fewer stop and searches. As the police force has been cut, London saw a subsequent rise in knife crime.
torygraph clutching at straws lol.
Reply 15
Original post by RivalPlayer
If you feel compelled to carry a knife, then you're hanging around with the wrong people.

In fairness to them if you're walking home through some nasty gang ridden suburb i doubt your choice of friends makes much difference to a desire for personal protection.
At any rate it boils down to a **** up by the government - the social contract is quite clear in the governments responsibilities and if they cant hold up their end of the deal, why should anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending