The Student Room Group

RAF OASC 4th March 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ln0405
Anyone else having to possibly reschedule their date? Currently no trains north of Newcastle so I’m going to struggle coming from Edinburgh this Sunday! Will see how things are tomorrow 🤞🏻will be gutted if I need to change it!!

Are there any buses going from Edinburgh to Newcastle today? If so then trains are running from Newcastle so if you can get to Newcastle then you’re good to go. Fingers crossed for you.
Reply 21
I’ve had the morning from hell with power cuts, car not starting, first train running late...but they have put on some trains so I’m on the earlier Kingscross train thankfully just hoping I get to Doncaster safely! are you attending today also mickyvee?
Original post by Ln0405
I’ve had the morning from hell with power cuts, car not starting, first train running late...but they have put on some trains so I’m on the earlier Kingscross train thankfully just hoping I get to Doncaster safely! are you attending today also mickyvee?

Yay! Wow what a morning! I am attending today too, just on a train to Doncaster as well.
Reply 23
Original post by MickyVee
Yay! Wow what a morning! I am attending today too, just on a train to Doncaster as well.

Could only happen to me! Ah good will hopefully see you this evening if the train makes it! Currently on a stop/start run in the middle of nowhere but almost at Newcastle!
Reply 24
When did you guys do your AST? I've applied for pilot and have my P2 on Wednesday.
Original post by Sixtoes
When did you guys do your AST? I've applied for pilot and have my P2 on Wednesday.

The AST is for airmen, pilot is an officer branch. You will take the Computer Based Aptitude Test (CBAT)
Reply 26
Original post by Sixtoes

Econ warrior is right it’s a slightly different process for officer as opposed to nco - officer route you will go through P2 -> possible substantiation visit if available -> CBAT -> filter interview -> medical -> OASC -> offer of service -> fam visit -> start training (or very similar to that process)
Reply 27
Also depending on what branch you’re applying for will determine the process ie aircrew roles although not necessarily joining as an officer will require you to sit CBAT and OASC instead of AST
Reply 28
All those who attended 4th, how did you get on?
Reply 29
Original post by K9xEm
All those who attended 4th, how did you get on?

It’s really hard to tell - the boarding officers don’t give anything away! Out of the 11 of us only 1 never made it to day two unfortunately! Overall we had a great bunch of people all going for a variety of roles so not in direct competition with each other. Just the three week wait now!! Any questions fire away
Reply 30
Original post by Ln0405
It’s really hard to tell - the boarding officers don’t give anything away! Out of the 11 of us only 1 never made it to day two unfortunately! Overall we had a great bunch of people all going for a variety of roles so not in direct competition with each other. Just the three week wait now!! Any questions fire away

How did you find the planning exercises? I’ve been practising! And the fitness test, heard the push up form is pretty hard?

How’d the interview go?
Reply 31
Planning exes weren’t overly complicated - just make sure your SDT is spot on makes it 10x easier (don’t worry if it’s slightly out as you will have time to correct it on the spot when you’re giving your brief)....fitness test is done in pairs, the PTI’s walk around looking at form and will highlight any issues - but you can still count it as a rep...they do say that if successful when you start IOT they are the ones that put their fist out for press ups and hold feet for sit ups so by starting IOT make sure your form is perfect....interview is very very fast paced it’s done in 25-30 minutes and they will cut you off a lot and move you on just to keep it flowing as they have to cover all the points - first 12 minutes is about you - second half is 18 minutes about motivation/knowledge/current affairs wtc
Reply 32
Original post by Ln0405
Planning exes weren’t overly complicated - just make sure your SDT is spot on makes it 10x easier (don’t worry if it’s slightly out as you will have time to correct it on the spot when you’re giving your brief)....fitness test is done in pairs, the PTI’s walk around looking at form and will highlight any issues - but you can still count it as a rep...they do say that if successful when you start IOT they are the ones that put their fist out for press ups and hold feet for sit ups so by starting IOT make sure your form is perfect....interview is very very fast paced it’s done in 25-30 minutes and they will cut you off a lot and move you on just to keep it flowing as they have to cover all the points - first 12 minutes is about you - second half is 18 minutes about motivation/knowledge/current affairs wtc

Thanks so much that’s very helpful. I wish you good luck and hope you hear back soon!
Reply 33
Original post by K9xEm
Thanks so much that’s very helpful. I wish you good luck and hope you hear back soon!

You’re welcome, and thank you! Wish you the best of luck - just be your self and try and enjoy it!
Original post by Ln0405

This is correct, your Week 1 fitness test on IOT the PTI will conduct the push up element of the test. The vast majority of failures during training are due to push up form.
Original post by K9xEm
How did you find the planning exercises? I’ve been practising! And the fitness test, heard the push up form is pretty hard?

How’d the interview go?

If you haven't already give this thread a read.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4887082
Reply 36
Original post by AlphaTango
If you haven't already give this thread a read.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4887082

Thanks for that, great thread 👍
Reply 37
This is for those who have recently been too oasc. I’ve heard a duty rumour that they only ask for 6 topics on your current affairs. Can anyone confirm or deny it?
Reply 38
They don't ask for a specific number of current affairs. They just ask you to reel some off, then they pick one. To be honest I had a complete blank when I had my current affairs pop up and could only manage to remember 4. This wasn't an issue and they just picked one of the four.
I will be attending OASC in a couple of weeks, also for pilot, what did you guys score in CBAT?

Quick Reply

Latest