The Student Room Group

Applying to Medicine Q+A

Hi! I run a studying instagram account called @Emily_Studies and I'm putting together an FAQ for applying to medicine on my blog! If you have any questions about the application process, feel free to leave them below and I'll put them in the post and then share the link to it here!

Just some background:
I'm a UK non-gap year applicant (still in Y13)
I applied to UCL, HYMS, Edinburgh and Oxford with my back up being neuroscience at Edinburgh.
I was rejected from Oxford pre-interview likely due to my GCSEs and BMAT being pretty 'meh' by Oxford standards. I was rejected from Edinburgh and I'm waiting on feedback as to why.
I got offers from UCL and HYMS and I withdrew from neuroscience at Edinburgh.

I'm currently studying Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and an EPQ
I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, 4As at AS Level and I'm predicted A*A*A* for my A Levels with an A* in my EPQ!
My UKCAT was 715 average and my BMAT was 5.4, 4.9 3A
What would you recommend for someone who has only recently decided to do medicine, I am in year 12 and am worried that I'm too late. I also think my GCSE's are quite low as didn't put a lot effort in (4A* 4A 3B and an A* in short course ICT)

Original post by JennLousie
Hi! I run a studying instagram account called @Emily_Studies and I'm putting together an FAQ for applying to medicine on my blog! If you have any questions about the application process, feel free to leave them below and I'll put them in the post and then share the link to it here!

Just some background:
I'm a UK non-gap year applicant (still in Y13)
I applied to UCL, HYMS, Edinburgh and Oxford with my back up being neuroscience at Edinburgh.
I was rejected from Oxford pre-interview likely due to my GCSEs and BMAT being pretty 'meh' by Oxford standards. I was rejected from Edinburgh and I'm waiting on feedback as to why.
I got offers from UCL and HYMS and I withdrew from neuroscience at Edinburgh.

I'm currently studying Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and an EPQ
I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, 4As at AS Level and I'm predicted A*A*A* for my A Levels with an A* in my EPQ!
My UKCAT was 715 average and my BMAT was 5.4, 4.9 3A
Original post by Etomi
What would you recommend for someone who has only recently decided to do medicine, I am in year 12 and am worried that I'm too late. I also think my GCSE's are quite low as didn't put a lot effort in (4A* 4A 3B and an A* in short course ICT)

Sorry to hijack your thread *hides*

As someone who only decided on medicine completely in Year 12 (jumped between engineering and maths for awhile as I did well in Maths and really liked it), your biggest hurdle might be experience. Try and get some over the summer, volunteering more than shadowing if you are struggling, and get your grades!

Research the universities and look for those who have less weighting in GCSEs.

And consider a gap year! That'll extend your timeframe.
Reply 3
Original post by Etomi

I'd totally agree with the person above, you need to get some experience really. Over the summer try and get volunteering in a care home if possible (or an out of school/summer club if you can't get that) as well as some shadowing if possible. As for GCSEs, I looked through the medical school selection criterias briefly and I made a list of those which weren't really GCSE heavy: http://www.emilystudies.co.uk/applying-to-medicine-qa/#choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending