The Student Room Group

Inspector calls structure

Hi guys how do u structure a paragraphs for English lit
Point - make your point, eg “Priestly presents Mr Birling as arrogant”
Evidence - a quotation from the text to back up your point, it doesn’t have to be an exact quote if you can’t remember you can paraphrase a little bit
Analysis - explain how the evidence proves your point, how and why does the audience see your point
Speculation - talk about the writer’s intentions, or provide an alternative viewpoint

Remember to work in contextual knowledge - for example at the time of writing, 1945, we had seen two world wars, the titanic sank etc. all things that Mr Birling in 1912 said wouldn’t happen.
Reply 2
Original post by ollie221011
Point - make your point, eg “Priestly presents Mr Birling as arrogant”
Evidence - a quotation from the text to back up your point, it doesn’t have to be an exact quote if you can’t remember you can paraphrase a little bit
Analysis - explain how the evidence proves your point, how and why does the audience see your point
Speculation - talk about the writer’s intentions, or provide an alternative viewpoint

Remember to work in contextual knowledge - for example at the time of writing, 1945, we had seen two world wars, the titanic sank etc. all things that Mr Birling in 1912 said wouldn’t happen.

I’m confused on what you write for the conclusion
conclusion should basically be a summary of your essay points that directly answer the question, and your own view sometimes.
Hi, I recently created a thread on how I achieved 2 9's in English last year, Inspector Calls was one of the texts I did
Here's the link, I have examples of how I structured my notes and basic tips
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5208682
Hope it helps!
So working on the “Mr Birling is arrogant point” you could say something along the lines of “Priestly has chosen to present him this way to show his stature as an upper class gentleman in 1912 as opposed to Eva Smith, who was unable to stand up for herself due to her presence in the lower class. Furthermore, could be argued that Mr Birling’s arrogant nature is because he is a business man, so he needs to be able to stand his ground in order to make the best deals, such as the marriage between Sheila and Gerald.” This would cover the conclusion pretty well
And then the overall conclusion would pull together all of the points in your essay to answer the question
Original post by Jpatel70
I’m confused on what you write for the conclusion

Something like “Priestley successfully manages to show [responsibility] through his use of stage directions, character development and emotions. (Or whatever you’ve written before). He uses a variety of techniques which each contribute to his intentions of changing British view towards ‘capital vs labour’.
Something like that. Sorry it’s a bit cringey but I made it up on the spot haha
Original post by rainbowcat1437
Something like “Priestley successfully manages to show [responsibility] through his use of stage directions, character development and emotions. (Or whatever you’ve written before). He uses a variety of techniques which each contribute to his intentions of changing British view towards ‘capital vs labour’.
Something like that. Sorry it’s a bit cringey but I made it up on the spot haha

***to show responsibility through his use of ....
Reply 9
***to show responsibility through his use of ....

So for the whole essay You would write

Intro
Which is rewords the question and some detail and about the character if they have changed

Paragraphs (3-5)
which you example and add the quotes add the term and example and add the writer method

Conclusion
Example why the writer has done is and example a bit of the essay

It’s this right
Original post by Jpatel70
So for the whole essay You would write

Intro
Which is rewords the question and some detail and about the character if they have changed

Paragraphs (3-5)
which you example and add the quotes add the term and example and add the writer method

Conclusion
Example why the writer has done is and example a bit of the essay

It’s this right

Yh basically. Link the conclusion back to the introduction and the rest of the essay tho
Reply 11
Yh basically. Link the conclusion back to the introduction and the rest of the essay tho

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest