The Student Room Group

Year 3/4

Hello everyone, Im in year 3, and we do our final exams in year 4.

I want to ask which is more beneficial for exams, going through all the notes you made and then doing questions, or just straight doing questions from Passmedicine?(and spending the extra time re-setting it?)
I went through my notes and also did questions throughout the year, then used a revision guide in the few weeks before exams. The question banks, though useful to consolidate learning, were different to our exams, so I wouldn't rely solely on them.
I didn't make any notes during clinical years, so I just went through PassMedicine a couple of times and read around relevant topics in the OHCM and other books. Whilst the accompanying explanations on PassMedicine are very good, personally I think some extra reading (whether from a revision textbook or your own notes) is necessary and a good idea.
Reply 3
It probably depends on how you learn and how your exams are structured, but I mainly used passmedicine. I found the questions were very similar to our exams and highlighted areas where I was weak which made my revision more effective than just staring at a textbook.

Having said that, it is a good idea to do a little bit of background reading as passmedicine doesn't go into a lot of detail on some areas such as physiology etc (although our exam questions didn't really cover those topics either). I used a couple of online resources that explained diseases/investigations/management options in a way that was clear and not overly detailed, especially for topics that I struggled with, but most of my learning came from passmedicine.
Original post by girl_in_black
I went through my notes and also did questions throughout the year, then used a revision guide in the few weeks before exams. The question banks, though useful to consolidate learning, were different to our exams, so I wouldn't rely solely on them.

thanks alot for the reply!what books did you use for psychiatry and Medicine to study?:smile: or did you just use your uni lectures?

and when you say different to your own exams, do you mind if i ask what uni was that?
Original post by Democracy
I didn't make any notes during clinical years, so I just went through PassMedicine a couple of times and read around relevant topics in the OHCM and other books. Whilst the accompanying explanations on PassMedicine are very good, personally I think some extra reading (whether from a revision textbook or your own notes) is necessary and a good idea.

thanks alot for the reply!other than OHCM, what revision series guides/notes/books did you use? specifically for Medicine and surgery rotation cuz i feel like its
difficult to learn a topic from OHCM without any prior reading of the topic
Original post by Angury
It probably depends on how you learn and how your exams are structured, but I mainly used passmedicine. I found the questions were very similar to our exams and highlighted areas where I was weak which made my revision more effective than just staring at a textbook.

Having said that, it is a good idea to do a little bit of background reading as passmedicine doesn't go into a lot of detail on some areas such as physiology etc (although our exam questions didn't really cover those topics either). I used a couple of online resources that explained diseases/investigations/management options in a way that was clear and not overly detailed, especially for topics that I struggled with, but most of my learning came from passmedicine.

thanks alot for the reply!what online resource/revision guides books did you use? do you mind if i ask what university was that?
Reply 7
Original post by Themedstudent97
thanks alot for the reply!what online resource/revision guides books did you use? do you mind if i ask what university was that?

I was at Cardiff.

I mainly used almostadoctor:

almostadoctor.co.uk

I don't really use textbooks. I occasionally used OHCM/OHCS to test myself when I was commuting, but my main revision source was passmedicine.
thanks alot for the reply!other than OHCM, what revision series guides/notes/books did you use? specifically for Medicine and surgery rotation cuz i feel like its
difficult to learn a topic from OHCM without any prior reading of the topic

General medicine - OHCM and Medicine at a Glance
Surgery - Surgical Talk
Psych - Psychiatry at a Glance
O&G - Impey
Paeds - Paediatrics and Child Health

And lots of PassMedicine questions to cover everything else :smile:
thanks alot for the reply!what books did you use for psychiatry and Medicine to study?:smile: or did you just use your uni lectures?

and when you say different to your own exams, do you mind if i ask what uni was that?

I mostly used the Crash Course books (the psych one is very good, I used it to prepare for my psych job as an F2) and Clinical Cases Uncovered (a couple of those were written by people who taught at my uni). I also used almostadoctor.co.uk.

I annotated this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Revision-Medical-Surgical-Finals/dp/1444120662 with notes from the above and the various teaching sessions we had, and then used it when revising before the exams.

I went to Aberdeen. Doing the questions was definitely useful, they were just different to the questions in our exams. I also used a lot of MCQ books from the library.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending