The Student Room Group

The EU is dying

Sorry @GenialGermanGent, but it seems very clear to me that we are beginning to witness the end of the EU- at least on its current form.

Across Europe previously fringe Euroscepticism parties are in opppsition. Italy has a good chance like Austria before it of having a ‘hard right’ coalition. Next up is Sweden, Where the the Swedish Democrats are likely to do even better than last time if not win.

Brexit May merely have just spared us waiting for the inevitable

Scroll to see replies

And not a moment too soon.
Cut the beast down and let us all return to Prosperity, I hope that Austria and Italy choose well in the elections and possibly we can knock some sense into the German population,
(edited 6 years ago)
Werent you all saying that with France and the Netherlands, but it didnt happen.
Wishful thinking as usual from you OP.
The EU is not dying if anything it is at its greatest peak of its history. The Euro's value is at an all time high, the EU's economic growth is at an all time high.

It's kind of Ironic how you claim Italy and Sweden could elect a right wing party because that was the same thing Brexiteers said about

Original post by 999tigger
France and the Netherlands,

How did that turn out?
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
The EU is not dying if anything it is at its greatest peak of its history. The Euro's value is at an all time high, the EU's economic growth is at an all time high.

It's kind of Ironic how you claim Italy and Sweden could elect a right wing party because that was the same thing Brexiteers said about

How did that turn out?

Is that rhetorical? the far right didnt do anywhere near as well as they expected. Seems to me the pressure from immigration now is considerably less as they have more or less closed the migration routes via Turkey.
Reply 6
Sounds like another Brexit wet dream like every country gagging for a trade deal with Britain.

China and India don't seem that bothered to me and the US is having a hissy fit and trying to stop British steel and British cars being exported there. I am sure there is a bloke in Somalia dying for a Cadbury's Cream Egg.

Even if right wing Eurosceptic parties did get power, most Europeans don't want the disruption and uncertainty they are seeing with brexit in their own country.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Davij038
Sorry @GenialGermanGent, but it seems very clear to me that we are beginning to witness the end of the EU- at least on its current form.

Across Europe previously fringe Euroscepticism parties are in opppsition. Italy has a good chance like Austria before it of having a ‘hard right’ coalition. Next up is Sweden, Where the the Swedish Democrats are likely to do even better than last time if not win.

Like the NHS, the EU and it's predecessors have been on the brink of collapse since their inception.

How did that turn out?

We got "send them home" Jupiter God King Macron.

1) The value of a currency doesn't show how strong an economy is. There's a reason China devalues its currency intentionally.

2) The EU's economic growth is at a ten year high, not an all time high. Considering that the last ten years starts with a recession, I don't think that's an amazing feat.
Reply 10
Original post by SHallowvale
Like the NHS, the EU and it's predecessors have been on the brink of collapse since their inception.

Comparing apples to oranges, although I don’t think the NHS is in good shape either. (Although unlike the EU, there’s is widespread support for the NHS)
Reply 11
Werent you all saying that with France and the Netherlands, but it didnt happen.
Wishful thinking as usual from you OP.

I didn’t think that Le Pen would win in France, but that she was the opppsition is a feat in itself . I’m not a fan of a Marine Le Pen to be honest. Now Marion Le Pen...❤️
Reply 12
Original post by AperfectBalance
Cut the beast down and let us all return to Prosperity, I hope that Austria and Italy choose well in the elections and possibly we can knock some sense into the German population, although the last time we did that it did not turn out too well.

The EU isn’t the real cause of our problems. Eg see the Visegrad nations.

The EU as it stands now being defeated would be a good step but is not an end in itself- eg witness the UK now or *shudder* Canada-who are in messes all of their own making.
Reply 13
Is that rhetorical? the far right didnt do anywhere near as well as they expected. Seems to me the pressure from immigration now is considerably less as they have more or less closed the migration routes via Turkey.

Immigration is still a problem. Not to mention the fact we have to sort the problem if the immigrants already here
Original post by AperfectBalance
Cut the beast down and let us all return to Prosperity, .

Return to prosperity? What are you on about? Do you mean like in the 30s when people lived in slums? Or like the 40s when Europe was at war? Or the 50s and 60s when most people in Britain didn't own a car or fridge? Or the 70s when we were all striking and on a e day week? Or the 80s and 90s when we had double digit interest rates?

We have never had it so good. The only way is down.
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek
Return to prosperity? What are you on about? Do you mean like in the 30s when people lived in slums? Or like the 40s when Europe was at war? Or the 50s and 60s when most people in Britain didn't own a car or fridge? Or the 70s when we were all striking and on a e day week? Or the 80s and 90s when we had double digit interest rates?

Wrong.

This would only be true if technology or capitalism had not changed. Thus if we went back to a feudal system for whatever reason it would still be very different to the medieval one for s huge degree of factors- eg ‘peasants’ wouldn’t need to toil they fields 12 hours a day.

If we had totadays technology and knowledge, AND the society of 1900 era Britain, we would be far better off in my opinion.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek

You are also looking at things from a materialist of view.

Eg- divorces, suicides and abortions have all risen. People are less happy and less well integrated. There is far less social trust and cohesion.

I think the EU will survive. Even right wing European parties tend to be a lot more pro EU than us. Take Poland for example or even Fillon's party in France.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek

If we had modern day technology with society that mirrored the best of our culture during the 1900's it would be amazing, we can return Europe to what it should be and economically prosper, whilst we have constantly looked to go foward we have left behind many of the benefits of our old society
The EU isn’t the real cause of our problems. Eg see the Visegrad nations.

The EU as it stands now being defeated would be a good step but is not an end in itself- eg witness the UK now or *shudder* Canada-who are in messes all of their own making.

Our problems all really stem From Germany, when we leave the noose they have tied around us we can prove that the EU is useless and corrupt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending