The Student Room Group

He lied about his age?

So i'm 18; I have some issues at home, particularly regarding a clash of beliefs between my family and i. I posted on a confessions app a month ago and started talking to this guy who seemed to be in the same position as me and is fairly local. We got talking and really hit it off, showed each other what we look like and then realised there was a mutual attraction. We sext a bit etc and we're planning to meet up after I finish my exams.

Now he told me he's 26. I happened to find his fb and saw a post about he was 21 or something in 2009. Which obviously makes him about 30 years old. Now I dont care that hes 30 but why would he lie about it?

Do you guys think its a big deal?Should i call it off

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So i'm 18; I have some issues at home, particularly regarding a clash of beliefs between my family and i. I posted on a confessions app a month ago and started talking to this guy who seemed to be in the same position as me and is fairly local. We got talking and really hit it off, showed each other what we look like and then realised there was a mutual attraction. We sext a bit etc and we're planning to meet up after I finish my exams.

Now he told me he's 26. I happened to find his fb and saw a post about he was 21 or something in 2009. Which obviously makes him about 30 years old. Now I dont care that hes 30 but why would he lie about it?

Be really careful, the fact that you met him on a confessions app and that you thinks he’s lying about his age, flags up two massive red flags for me. In my opinion I’d ditch it ASAP before it has the potential to turn nasty
Leave it.
I agree with gymkana3000, be wary. Was it clear that he turned 21, I know so many people who've lied about their age when they sign up and don't end up changing it.
However I'd end it here
Reply 4
Original post by AzureCeleste
I agree with gymkana3000, be wary. Was it clear that he turned 21, I know so many people who've lied about their age when they sign up and don't end up changing it.
However I'd end it here

it was an actual status he posted, it was like 'so glad to be turning 21' or something and there were a lot of comments from people so he defo lied about his age to me.
does not sound like a trustworthy person

smh
If he's lied about his age, think about what else he could be lying about
it was an actual status he posted, it was like 'so glad to be turning 21' or something and there were a lot of comments from people so he defo lied about his age to me.

Well in that case, maybe confront him about it? Otherwise I'd get out
Sounds exactly like the situation i was in sometime back.
Guy was 26, local
Did a little snooping and found that he was infact 30.
I wouldn't chance it girl
Reply 9
Are you a londoner? bc if this is the same guy that'll be very interesting...

Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Sounds exactly like the situation i was in sometime back.
Guy was 26, local
Did a little snooping and found that he was infact 30.
I wouldn't chance it girl
Are you a londoner? bc if this is the same guy that'll be very interesting...

Noo! Northerner! But he travelled tons so wouldn't be surprised honestly, like every other day

Stay away. This is how young British girls end up missing, then found raped and murdered.
Whichever way you look, it's dishonesty that if you knew his true age, he won't get the chance to shag a 21 year old.

Could be plain insecurity but he could also be just a con artist.

Just because you ask him, does not mean he will tell the truth about anything else.

He lies to protect his own interests over something as minor as age. That should be enough to run away very quickly.
Original post by uberteknik
Whichever way you look, it's dishonesty that if you knew his true age, he won't get the chance to shag a 21 year old.

Could be plain insecurity but he could also be just a con artist.

Just because you ask him, does not mean he will tell the truth about anything else.

He lies to protect his own interests over something as minor as age. That should be enough to run away very quickly.

what i dont understand though is that he lied about a fairly small age gap. 4 years isnt that big
what i dont understand though is that he lied about a fairly small age gap. 4 years isnt that big
Think of it in a different way: Between 21 and 26, 5 years does not sound much, but is still 25% older than you. If he's closer to 31, the age gap is now 10 years and almost 50% older.

At five years gap, he probably thinks he can get away with it. But at ten years, he runs the risk that you walk.
Original post by uberteknik
Think of it in a different way: Between 21 and 26, 5 years does not sound much, but is still 25% older than you. If he's closer to 31, the age gap is now 10 years and almost 50% older.

At five years gap, he probably thinks he can get away with it. But at ten years, he runs the risk that you walk.

I'm 18 haha. But thats true
I'm 18 haha. But thats true
lol.

Make that 33% vs 66% older !

He probably thought you'd think he's too old for you, especially that you're 18 so he lied. If you really care, confront him and see what he says.
Original post by GreenBell
He probably thought you'd think he's too old for you, especially that you're 18 so he lied. If you really care, confront him and see what he says.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I hope the OP could figure out if she is being used or not.
His age probably isn't the only thing he is lying about. I personally would end it, as the trust is gone. Lying about something so small suggests he is either lying about other things too, or he will lie in the future. Either way, he's not a man you want to be with long-term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending