The Student Room Group

Should I choose 4 A-levels??

I'm currently in year 11 and I was thinking on applying for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics....But my friends tell me that it I'm literally planning my own funeral XD
So can anyone tell me if I should go for it? Or should I just choose three.
Note: I just arrived in this country in September. So I know that not having some previous knowledge will affect me A LOT
If you know that not having some previous knowledge would affect you a lot - then I'd say it's safer to go with three. However, if you're sure you can cope with the extra work - then by all means go for it! What are you planning to do after A levels?
just no
Original post by StelleD
I'm currently in year 11 and I was thinking on applying for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics....But my friends tell me that it I'm literally planning my own funeral XD
Note: I just arrived in this country in September. So I know that not having some previous knowledge will affect me A LOT

The 3 science a levels together are pretty rough. In my school, we have to do reports for the "core practicals" and so some of the revision time is eaten away by essentially doing "coursework".
Really depends on your work ethic and ability to soak in a lot of ideas quickly.
I would recommend looking at the university course you want to do and picking a levels for that because they are not going to be asking for more than 3.
Heya! I'm in year 13 at the moment doing four A levels - same as yours except EngLit rather than physics!
I'd say it's manageable (although exam season hasn't started yet so I might be speaking too soon!) but sometimes disatisfying knowing you could do a piece of work better if you had more time like your mates do, and I frequently miss tutorials that would be really useful - for example in frees and lunches - because they're all planned and structured thinking people have 3 subjects only.

Having said that, I love it. I'm a pretty big nerd and I think I'd really really miss which ever subject of mine I wasn't doing. It takes work and time, but all A levels do anyway. I'd consider checking that you're equally invested in all of them and that you're not doing four for the sake of it, but because you want to do each of those subjects.

Hope that was useful! :smile:
Reply 5
Hello! Thank you all for replying to my question!:u: I guess I should wait until my mocks' results and then decide if I can pull it off or not. :biggrin: But I sincerely wanted to do all the 4 subjects:frown:
By the way, I want to do medicine but I'm still not sure yet...
Original post by StelleD
Hello! Thank you all for replying to my question!:u: I guess I should wait until my mocks' results and then decide if I can pull it off or not. :biggrin: But I sincerely wanted to do all the 4 subjects:frown:
By the way, I want to do medicine but I'm still not sure yet...

Hiya again! I've applied for medicine this year and should be starting in September (grades permitting!) A range of subjects is useful in developing a variety of skills and speaking to a broader group of people but I found four A levels sapped my time away for admissions tests - especially BMAT. Having said that, doing English Lit and not just the prescriptive 'Medicine A Levels' of Bio Chem and Maths made me surer of my decision to go for it. I think I've possibly got more confidence in my ability to work hard and be self motivated at uni too through doing more work than was necessarily required.

Hope that helps and good luck in your mocks!
Reply 7
Original post by StelleD

Hi!
I'm in year 13 now and I originally chose four alevels and then very quickly realised that it was a bad idea. The work load is crazzyyy compared to GCSEs and just managing three is a struggle. Especially with the alevels you're choosing!!
If you wanna try out doing four then choose four and you can either drop one at anytime within the first couple months of alevels if you don't like it or do one for AS then drop it.
All togther, with the subjects you wanna do, Just pick your three favourite.
Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest