The Student Room Group

Fat lady in denial about how bad being fat is

After smoking, being obese is the leading cause of cancer. Apparently only 15% of people know this, so I think it is a good thing for CRUK to raise awareness of this. You will probably have seen some of their new posters this week.

A comedian called Sofie Hagen has taken issue with this, and the BBC also seem to be a bit critical, actually asking questions such as "Is "fatness" a bad thing?" which everybody should know the correct answer to before they reach high school.

In fact, given that there is clearly still ignorance about how bad obesity is, I think that further vindicates CRUK's decision to run this campaign. That people are trying to misrepresent this factual information into "Oh my god, it's fat shaming" is terrible. People may fat shame anyway, but the truth that being obese is a cause of cancer is still a truth people need to be aware of.

Scroll to see replies

When will people learn that the new left is a form of insanity
It's definitely unhealthy and views denying this should not be endorsed.

Though if someone is fat we should not criticise their choice.
Personally I'm fine with CRUK mounting awareness campaigns, and it's clearly silly to complain about 'fat shaming' in this case. However, they lose me when they start calling for things to be banned. There are altogether too many of these groups pushing for state interference in aspects of people's lives which are really none of anyone else's business.
Obesity is a problem but we too often look at it from the wrong direction. Humans have evolved in a condition of scarcity (as all animals have) and so we are hardwired to eat and be particularly drawn to high calorie foods (typically fats and sugars). It is the availability and cheapness of high calorie and processed food that needs more focus as many humans will always, no matter how much coaching or education is thrown at them, be drawn to do the wrong thing.
Original post by Axiomasher
Obesity is a problem but we too often look at it from the wrong direction. Humans have evolved in a condition of scarcity (as all animals have) and so we are hardwired to eat and be particularly drawn to high calorie foods (typically fats and sugars). It is the availability and cheapness of high calorie and processed food that needs more focus as many humans will always, no matter how much coaching or education is thrown at them, be drawn to do the wrong thing.

Nobody is claiming it's easy to slim down or become healthy from previously being fat/obese. But I have no sympathy for those who don't even try, and rather, as seen by a growing movement of fat acceptance, become comfortable being fat, ergo, implying its a good thing even as well as playing the victim in many situations.
Hagen should do one. The job of cancer research is to find out what causes Cancer and help to prevent it if possible. Obesity is a cause of cancer, they are doing their jobs. If you are offended by a sign showing a fact, then you have the problem.
the Queen could encourage the fight against obesity by awarding medals each year to outstanding slimmer's.
I’m fat and fully aware of the risks I’m placing myself at, so doing something about it (slow process though). Ridiculous to tiptoe around facts, in case it offends. It’s her (their) issue, if denial is the better option.
Reply 9
Yes Obesity is an issue in society but food companies do nothing to lower the calories and fat levels in food substances (like MacDonalds). I've lost two relatives because of obesity because it caused their heart to fail, but they never did anything to lower their weight. They just excused their excessive eating habits as needing more and more food in the house on the chance they may have guests but everyone knew it was for her.
Being obese is an outlying factor in heart problems as well as the individual being dependent on another depending on their weight, they also cost the NHS substantial amounts each year because of joints and heart ops which are better served for other people who have not ruined their body knowingly.
Yet, there are illnesses which means an individual will put on excess weight, but if the weight gained is their own fault then I don't believe they should be prioritised.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Nobody is claiming it's easy to slim down or become healthy from previously being fat/obese. But I have no sympathy for those who don't even try, and rather, as seen by a growing movement of fat acceptance, become comfortable being fat, ergo, implying its a good thing even as well as playing the victim in many situations.

We can't easily know how hard any individual is trying though, no matter what they say in public. What doesn't help is public shaming which inevitably causes some to react emotionally and become defensive about carrying weight.
There are two sides to this. Yes, obesity does cause health isses, but insulting, deriding and patronising obese people simple shuts down discussion dialogue and ultimately the chance help the situation.

I would wage a sizable bet that there isn't an obese person who wouldn't like to lose weight. What some thin folks won't appreciate is how hard losing weight is, and if you are trying to do it at the same time as being harassed and verbally abused it is near imposssible.
Original post by ByEeek
There are two sides to this. Yes, obesity does cause health isses, but insulting, deriding and patronising obese people simple shuts down discussion dialogue and ultimately the chance help the situation.

I would wage a sizable bet that there isn't an obese person who wouldn't like to lose weight. What some thin folks won't appreciate is how hard losing weight is, and if you are trying to do it at the same time as being harassed and verbally abused it is near imposssible.

But merely stating that Obesity is a cause of cancer isn’t insulting somebody is it?
Original post by Axiomasher

step 1: put down the fork.
step 2: work out.
step 3: congratulate your self with a nice meal.
step 4: work out.
I've had loads of parents and close ones die purely of they're way of life, too much sugar, too much smoking, too much fatness.
and I think its completely stupid to die of your own hands
Original post by Andrew97
But merely stating that Obesity is a cause of cancer isn’t insulting somebody is it?

No. But the title of this thread demonstrates perfectly how the argument is shut down. "Fat lady". Not "Woman". This thread doesn't contain any obese people saying things like, "Do you know what - you are right. I need to lose weight." It is just full of self-righteous thin folks demonising obese people.
This sums up precisely the problem. You are assuming there is an open conversation to be had. I have asthma, but I don't have people come up to me and go - "Well you know, if you hadn't done this that or the other, you might be ok." Yet we seem to feel that it is perfectly acceptable to have a conversation with obese people about their condition and expect them to listen.

Sure - let's debate the health of the nation. Let's talk about the fact that kids are bombarded with advertising for really unhealthy snacks and treats. Let's talk about the fact that fatty food is very very cheap compared to healthier options. Let's talk about the fact that people no longer cook or know how to. Let's talk about the fact that there are a million and 1 conflicting pieces of advice out there on what is and is not healthy.

But deriding obese people on the pretence that we are somehow educating them about something they have never heard of before? - come of it! It is for the self-righteous. No one likes a smartie-pants.
Original post by AperfectBalance
When will people learn that the new left is a form of insanity

But Jeremy is our saviour...
This fatness topic has become huge here in the UK. Its prime mover? Feminism and its followers who are, generally speaking, physically unattractive, abese women. Its funded to the tunes of tens of millions of pounds every year by the British tax payer believe it or not. This is a recent advert by the Feminist and Women's Studies Association for an event to "Celebrate Fatness" in the UK funded by the ESRC an organisation that provides money that it derives mostly from the British tax payer for research:

"‘Experiencing and Celebrating Fatness: Seminar 3

This seminar will address the intersection between Fat Studies, Health At Every Size and fat activism. It will explore individuals’ experiences of activism, sites for intervention, and the possibilities for fat activism in relation to health and beyond. There will be a combination of presentations and workshop activities."

https://fwsa.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/esrc-seminar-series-fat-studies-and-haes-bigness-beyond-obesity/

Yes they actually have topic in gender studies programmes called "Fat Studies" and they are being funded by the tax payer. Funding which they are using on research to support the benefits of fatness...I would not be surprised if a few years from now there will be a ton of research "proving" how healthy it is for women to become fat.

Feminism is not only empowering sexism and dividing men and women but its also actively involved in promoting an unhealthier society.
(edited 6 years ago)
Agreed. But I think just about ever obese person knows that. Those who are "fighting" back are effectively saying - "Stop telling me to suck eggs. I'll do what I want." In other words, they are so sick of being told to lose weight they have got to the point of saying they are happy to take on the risk of illness and rather than get stressed to the teeth about their weight, enjoy being who they are - just like we do.

So if the obesity epidemic is to be conquered we need something much more subtle because social exclusion clearly isn't working, especially as those not obese are now in a minority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending