The Student Room Group

bad GCSEs vs med school

I have 4 A’s and 6Bs at GCSE ( I didn’t revise once , had no ambition and didn’t do my best) I know these aren’t the best for med school, But im predicted AAA in biology Chem*istry and maths at Alevel and I have really high bmat and ukat scores , have over 2 weeks of work experience , work in a care Home , done over 6 months of volunteering and do lots of extracurricular ( national competitions in gymnastic and dance , team captain for netball etc) I was wondering what my chances are in getting into med school and where you would recommend applying based on my stats??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexandraxx1
I have 4 A’s and 6Bs at GCSE ( I didn’t revise once , had no ambition and didn’t do my best) I know these aren’t the best for med school, But im predicted AAA in biology Chem*istry and maths at Alevel and I have really high bmat and ukat scores , have over 2 weeks of work experience , work in a care Home , done over 6 months of volunteering and do lots of extracurricular ( national competitions in gymnastic and dance , team captain for netball etc) I was wondering what my chances are in getting into med school and where you would recommend applying based on my stats??

You're chances are pretty high. Most unis dont take much consideration into GCSEs. Only the top unis would (e.g. oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, ). This is because evryones application is perfect for these unis and they look for small things to rule these applicants out. The other stuff that you do would make you a strong applicant and your gcse are just a small minor.

Just wondering how you know your BMAT and UKCAT scores if you haven't applied yet
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
You're chances are pretty high. Most unis dont take much consideration into GCSEs. Only the top unis would (e.g. oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, ). This is because evryones application is perfect for these unis and they look for small things to rule these applicants out. The other stuff that you do would make you a strong applicant and your gcse are just a small minor.

Thankyou so much that’s actually made me feel better , I was thinking that I was hopeless and had no chance at all 😂

Unfortunately this isn't true for medicine and quite a few universities use them as part of their selection process. Unfortunately, the only way to identify which is to search through their selection processes individually
Original post by JennLousie
Just wondering how you know your BMAT and UKCAT scores if you haven't applied yet

From doing mock tests and I’ve been revising it practically every night
your bmat is in october....what is the point of practicing now you're just gonna forget it all if you use up all the resources now
So I’m hoping I end up getting quite high scores...
From doing mock tests and I’ve been revising it practically every night

First of all, don't bother revising for them yet. You'll need a couple of months preparation, max (most people only do one month, tbh). Your best bet is to spend the time researching the universities you're interested in, finding volunteering/work experience and then making sure you get the best grades possible in year 12.
Original post by JennLousie
First of all, don't bother revising for them yet. You'll need a couple of months preparation, max (most people only do one month, tbh). Your best bet is to spend the time researching the universities you're interested in, finding volunteering/work experience and then making sure you get the best grades possible in year 12.

Okayy thankyou for the advise I’ll start revising them later on in the year, I’ve researched Unis but don’t know where is best to apply , I’ve already had work experience and currently doing volunteering and Im trying to make sure I get AAA in AS ( even though it isn’t an official exam any more)
Okayy thankyou for the advise I’ll start revising them later on in the year, I’ve researched Unis but don’t know where is best to apply , I’ve already had work experience and currently doing volunteering and Im trying to make sure I get AAA in AS ( even though it isn’t an official exam any more)

Just look for places that don't rank you on your GCSEs. Some use predictions, UKCAT/BMAT or AS grades (but like you said you don't do those so ignore that) or just holistic places
Thankyou so much that’s actually made me feel better , I was thinking that I was hopeless and had no chance at all 😂

You will have a good chance at a uni with the standard offer of aaa or under. Which uni did u apply to?
You will have a good chance at a uni with the standard offer of aaa or under. Which uni did u apply to?

I’m applying for 2019 medicine entry , so just seeing what everyone’s opinion is on where I can apply and if I have a chance
I have the exact same GCSE'S as you and I want to apply to medicine 2019 entry. You have an equal chance as any other applicant, you just need you're actual UKCAT and BMAT to be very high and work experience to be top notch, as well as a non-cliche PS. Oxford and cardiff are GCSE heavy so avoid those. But if you manage to get you're predictions up you can apply to cambridge, Imperial etc. just make sure you do well in year 12 exams so teachers can reference them- its very important. As if you do badly in them then the actual form of grades you will have already done are GCSE'S. Good luck x
Original post by Ilovemaths...
I have the exact same GCSE'S as you and I want to apply to medicine 2019 entry. You have an equal chance as any other applicant, you just need you're actual UKCAT and BMAT to be very high and work experience to be top notch, as well as a non-cliche PS. Oxford and cardiff are GCSE heavy so avoid those. But if you manage to get you're predictions up you can apply to cambridge, Imperial etc. just make sure you do well in year 12 exams so teachers can reference them- its very important. As if you do badly in them then the actual form of grades you will have already done are GCSE'S. Good luck x

I’ve never known any one to have the same GCSES as me!!! Thankyou for the advice and good luck to you too!!! Just wondering what Unis are you thinking of applying to?
I’ve never known any one to have the same GCSES as me!!! Thankyou for the advice and good luck to you too!!! Just wondering what Unis are you thinking of applying to?

Bmt when I saw your GCSE'S I was like omg I have the same GCSE'S too :rofl:
Imperial, Cambridge, brighton and barts x
Reply 16
Those are good GCSEs.. I got A*A*AAABBBCCC.. :frown:
Original post by Traore
Those are good GCSEs.. I got A*A*AAABBBCCC.. :frown:

''Oh **** yh those are bad'' sarcasm

Check the university entry requirements for medicine. GCSEs normally have very little impact for uni applications, but for medicine they can be a bit more picky. Cardiff use this really weird GCSE point system for medicine, were you have get between 22 and 26 points (A*=3, A=2 and B= 1) to be accepted. I personally think this system is ridiculous because anyone can improve significantly from GCSE to A Level. But with those predicted A Level grades you could definitely get into for Medicine course at a good uni. Remember write a strong ps and considered doing an EPQ, even if it doesn't lower the entry requirement grades it can still help in the application process.

Imperial doesn’t look at GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending