The Student Room Group

Product Design

I'm doing well on my product and my folder, the problem is the actual written exam, i dont understand anything on it, in our last mocks i got an F, im predicted a B due to my folder and product, but if i fail the written paper my end grade will drop hard. I checked out some past papers and found the first question on my mocks, i looked at the mark scheme too but i still dont understand it, i would appreciate it if someone could explain the first answer in this paper
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2016/june/AQA-45551-QP-JUN16.PDF
this is the mark scheme
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2016/june/AQA-45551-W-MS-JUN16.PDF
Thanks
I've done this paper two times now, one time as my Year 10 Mock, and once this year for homework.
It's very straightforward to understand, don't worry.

This is what the mark scheme says:
-Possible to gain access + to take money out
-Handle/can be carried by user+ so can be used in public places e.g. shopping centres
-Use appropriate materials + to securely support and hold contents so they don’t fall out of the bottom due to weight
-Indicate charity on container + so the public know what organisation/event is being collected for
-Slot big enough + accept all coins sizes

The question asks you for three different suitable design criterion for a money collection box for a charity. They even give you an example to help you out. Now if you're having a hard time understanding the mark scheme for this question then, the start of each bullet point is the criteria and the part in bold is the reason for each of those criterion.
Reply 2
Original post by doctarv
I've done this paper two times now, one time as my Year 10 Mock, and once this year for homework.
It's very straightforward to understand, don't worry.

This is what the mark scheme says:
-Possible to gain access + to take money out
-Handle/can be carried by user+ so can be used in public places e.g. shopping centres
-Use appropriate materials + to securely support and hold contents so they don’t fall out of the bottom due to weight
-Indicate charity on container + so the public know what organisation/event is being collected for
-Slot big enough + accept all coins sizes

The question asks you for three different suitable design criterion for a money collection box for a charity. They even give you an example to help you out. Now if you're having a hard time understanding the mark scheme for this question then, the start of each bullet point is the criteria and the part in bold is the reason for each of those criterion.

Thanks a lot, this helps quite a bit, I appreciate the help
Original post by cryssan
Thanks a lot, this helps quite a bit, I appreciate the help

What did you make for your project? My school made lamps
Reply 4
Original post by doctarv
What did you make for your project? My school made lamps

My school had two main options

Design Movement:
Such as Art Nouveau, you can make: storage unit, lamp, speaker

Culture:
Has to be a culture such as Chinese, you can make: Chair, jewellery or another thing i cant remember.

I chose to make a Chair in the culture option, the culture i chose was Japanese and i designed it like a floor chair
Original post by cryssan
My school had two main options

Design Movement:
Such as Art Nouveau, you can make: storage unit, lamp, speaker

Culture:
Has to be a culture such as Chinese, you can make: Chair, jewellery or another thing i cant remember.

I chose to make a Chair in the culture option, the culture i chose was Japanese and i designed it like a floor chair

A chair?! As in a full sized chair?
Reply 6
Original post by doctarv
A chair?! As in a full sized chair?

well, some people made the chair seat full size, but made small legs, our wood turning lathe wasnt large enough for a full sized leg. But because my culture was Japanese, and i decided to make a floor chair, i had a (roughly) 300x300mm seat and the legs were purely aesthetics.

Quick Reply

Latest