The Student Room Group

Distance Learning Chemistry & Biology A Levels Worth It?

Hi, just appealing to anyone out there who is a good way through or who has completed A Levels in the sciences as a distance learner? I know how it works, I am just wondering if not having access to a lab will be a huge disadvantage to learning and understand the curriculum or if videos are as good. I'm looking at NEC or CloudLearnUK but have heard CloudLearn is not as good for guaranteeing centres that will take you on for exams.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Original post by NorthernLights1
Hi, just appealing to anyone out there who is a good way through or who has completed A Levels in the sciences as a distance learner? I know how it works, I am just wondering if not having access to a lab will be a huge disadvantage to learning and understand the curriculum or if videos are as good. I'm looking at NEC or CloudLearnUK but have heard CloudLearn is not as good for guaranteeing centres that will take you on for exams.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Wont you just have to sort out the practical endorsement for yourself? If you get it done relatively early, then you will have the benefit of it for future study. As I recall from when I have looked into the endorsement there are revision books as well, which can prep you for it.

It wont be a huge disadvantage as it doesnt affect the exam, but you will get a benefit when you complete it. Your previous school may let you. As far as I recall the endorsement is quite spenny.
Original post by 999tigger
Wont you just have to sort out the practical endorsement for yourself? If you get it done relatively early, then you will have the benefit of it for future study. As I recall from when I have looked into the endorsement there are revision books as well, which can prep you for it.

It wont be a huge disadvantage as it doesnt affect the exam, but you will get a benefit when you complete it. Your previous school may let you. As far as I recall the endorsement is quite spenny.

Thanks for reply. I'm not too concerned about having the practical endorsement and might not even do it, it's more that I don't believe in my abilities to fully grasp the sciences without the benefit of a lab and a teacher! And yes it's about £1000 if you can even find someone willing to deliver it which isn't easy unless you use NEC (but they are twice as much as CloudLearn).
Thanks for reply. I'm not too concerned about having the practical endorsement and might not even do it, it's more that I don't believe in my abilities to fully grasp the sciences without the benefit of a lab and a teacher! And yes it's about £1000 if you can even find someone willing to deliver it which isn't easy unless you use NEC (but they are twice as much as CloudLearn).

Have you checked whether your degree course requires it? Assuming ofc you intend to do a degree. hard to say except enough people do it and manage, so will depend on you.

Why not just pick a few areas and see how well your understanding is from books plus videos. Its less the absence of a lab and more the absence of a teacher that I would say is challenging, but then if you are doing distance learning you should have support. You can always tidy up by hiring a student or tutor.
Original post by 999tigger
Have you checked whether your degree course requires it? Assuming ofc you intend to do a degree. hard to say except enough people do it and manage, so will depend on you.

Why not just pick a few areas and see how well your understanding is from books plus videos. Its less the absence of a lab and more the absence of a teacher that I would say is challenging, but then if you are doing distance learning you should have support. You can always tidy up by hiring a student or tutor.

You think so? Maybe. My anxieties are kicking in so I'm thinking of all the things that could go wrong hence the lab thing but you're right, the teacher is more important. Yes, distance learning gives you tutor support and I will probably need private tutoring for chemistry.

Damn it I wish I had been a wiser 16 year old! Choosing languages and arts was so stupid now that I am solely interested in sciences. It's going to be years of study. How I envy these kids who make the right choices or have supportive parents.
You think so? Maybe. My anxieties are kicking in so I'm thinking of all the things that could go wrong hence the lab thing but you're right, the teacher is more important. Yes, distance learning gives you tutor support and I will probably need private tutoring for chemistry.

Damn it I wish I had been a wiser 16 year old! Choosing languages and arts was so stupid now that I am solely interested in sciences. It's going to be years of study. How I envy these kids who make the right choices or have supportive parents.

or you could have posted on here and people would have nudged you in the right direction.

If I was in your position i would have the mindset other people can do it , so I can.

The Dr Boes revision notes are well though of fr Chemistry.
in regards to cloudlearn...
I'm a current, second year student of theirs, studying maths at a level.
I've found them good, my tutor has always replied within a few hours (or morning when I've emailed late). my tutor marked assignments are marked within a few days instead of a week. the student forum maybe better for your subjects, but I found tsr much better.

that being said, they do not arrange exam centres and can only give advice that is limited by your board. my board had out of date information (aqa) and it took months to find a college that I sit my exams at. I have to travel 30-40 minutes, down a motorway (I live in Lincolnshire). you are also responsible for all fees with the college as well.
Original post by RuthieG101
I've found them good, my tutor has always replied within a few hours (or morning when I've emailed late). my tutor marked assignments are marked within a few days instead of a week. the student forum maybe better for your subjects, but I found tsr much better.

that being said, they do not arrange exam centres and can only give advice that is limited by your board. my board had out of date information (aqa) and it took months to find a college that I sit my exams at. I have to travel 30-40 minutes, down a motorway (I live in Lincolnshire). you are also responsible for all fees with the college as well.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I think I will go with CloudLearn as it sounds like they are very similar to NEC just obviously the exam centres is a disadvantage.
glad it was helpful.
I didn't have a lot of choice. my local colleges only accepted school leavers. I have to travel to a different area to take my exams. I started looking in Feb and found somewhere by July. most of my time was spent waiting for replies.
at my chosen centre, I contact the exams officer, who is very helpful. I've even contacted their maths department, when I needed advice on a calculator and they were helpful.

it's hard being a private candidate/distance learner, but having a tutor on standby is great, which you wouldn't have if doing it alone.

doing my a level this way has prepared me for my degree which I'm doing through the open university from October.
Original post by RuthieG101

This is good information. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply

Latest