The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ahad27
I'm in the same position, I prefer the "less prestigious" one because it's closer to home (almost walking distance). The other uni makes me take the train and I hate public transport/travelling far continuously.

Wow you must be from London as well, which unis?
Reply 21
Original post by Johnathan94
There are only two rules for making a successful university choice that will give you a happy 4 years ahead of you:

1) Choose wherever you feel most comfortable.

2) Don't live in Aberdeen.

Seriously, it's bleak and tiny, and expensive, and just... Terrible.
I moved from Aberdeen to Edinburgh last year and it's night and day - speak to some local students and ask them how many plan to stay once they graduate.

Oh really? When I visited Aberdeen I quite liked it, but maybe that's because I'm from the most boring small town ever. Whereas in Edinburgh I felt so overwhelmed by how busy it was, guess I'm just not used to it...

Original post by DrawTheLine
I was in this position last year and went for the lower one, even though I got the grades to go to the higher one. My reasons were because it actually offered the specific course I wanted whereas the other one didn't, I felt more at home and welcome at the lower one and I could see myself studying there. I am very happy here and doubt I would have been at the other uni. I'm still determined to get a great degree even though my uni may not be highly ranked. It is best for me.

I'm happy you made the right decision! :smile:
I cannot believe the horseshit that spews from some people.

If bragging matters to you, then go to the most 'prestigious' university and most prestigious college within that university you can get into. Then be secure in the knowledge that others are up their own arses just as much as you.

If you want to enjoy your experience at university, get the best grade and the most out of your course in an environment you feel most comfortable with on a course that is the most respected for the field you wish to enter - regardless of overall perceived 'prestige' ranking - then ignore rankings.

IMHO, rankings serve the interests of the university and is used as a marketing tool to hype up their own self importance and by elitists who like to brag and propagate the 'old boys' network.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by howitoughttobe
Engineering definitely do. I'm studying an engineering degree and have family in engineering and where your degree is from is important. And generally office roles tend to favour the more prestigious unis.

Horseshit.
Original post by hysterria
Oh really? When I visited Aberdeen I quite liked it.

You might well like it and of course, you should reach your own conclusion. But I genuinely do feel that Edinburgh would provide a better student experience for a foreign student, and I genuinely do know lots and lots of students who do not enjoy being in Aberdeen - both of the universities there have a lot of local students who just don't/can't move away from home.
Original post by uberteknik

If bragging matters to you, then go to the most 'prestigious' university and most prestigious college within that university you can get into. Then be secure in the knowledge that others are up their own arses just as much as you.

If you want to enjoy your experience at university, get the best grade and the most out of your course in an environment you feel most comfortable with on a course that is the most respected for the field you wish to enter - regardless of overall perceived 'prestige' ranking, then ignore rankings.

IMHO, rankings serve the interests of the university and is used as a marketing tool to hype up their own importance.

prestigious universities are prestigious for a reason. whether they impress employers (albeit only a large minority) or provide access to superior academics, facilities and uni experience. it also benefits you to be in a class of high-achievers
Reply 26

If you want to enjoy your experience at university, get the best grade and the most out of your course in an environment you feel most comfortable with on a course that is the most respected for the field you wish to enter - regardless of overall perceived 'prestige' ranking, then ignore rankings.

IMHO, rankings serve the interests of the university and is used as a marketing tool to hype up their own importance.

The way you're putting it I almost feel stupid for considering the prestigious uni in the first place! I think you're right though, prestige shouldn't be that important, but I feel so pressurised by my environment (and maybe also myself) to always choose whatever option is regarded "best". Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Engineering definitely do. I'm studying an engineering degree and have family in engineering and where your degree is from is important. And generally office roles tend to favour the more prestigious unis.

A lot of unis have pretty much the same content as long as they are accredited by the relevant institution. Stop talking out your ass.
(edited 6 years ago)
Horseshit.

Evidence?
Original post by CollectiveSoul
prestigious universities are prestigious for a reason. whether they impress employers (albeit only a large minority) or provide access to superior academics, facilities and uni experience. it also benefits you to be in a class of high-achievers

High achievers are highly self motivated. If you need others to motivate you, I'm sorry to break it, but you ain't a high achiever.

The higher up the ladder you get, the lonelier it gets. That is a lesson you have yet to learn.
Original post by Omar717
A lot of unis have pretty much the same content as long as they are accredited by the eng council. Stop talking out your ass.

I have family members who work in my department at two of the top unis for my field but yeah I'm sure some rando on TSR knows more than them 😆
Original post by hysterria
Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome :smile:

I made this post before, so I will share it again as it might help:

Dr Vikki Bolivier debunked the RG "elite" myth in 2015. She did a comprehensive study in to the various factors that make a university "elite" and found only Oxford and Cambridge could objectively be considered "elite". They formed the 1st Tier of UK Universities.

A 2nd Tier was made up using the remaining RG universities, but also included:

Aberdeen
Bath
Dundee
East Anglia
Goldsmiths
Heriott-Watt
Keele
Kent
Lancaster
Leicester
Loughbourgh
Reading
Royal Holloway
St. Andrews
SOAS
Strathclyde
Surrey
Sussex

Her research concluded that there was no evidence to suggest that (Oxbridge aside) Russell group universities were "Elite", and they were on a par with other pre-92 universities. She also suggested that the RG "Elite" status was a case of successful marketing and not based on any credible evidence.

http://dro.dur.ac.uk/14978/

Anecdotally, you will find many people (including me) who attended both RG and non-RG universities who will tell you they had a much better experience and gained a better education at the non-RG university. It really depends on the course, not so much what group a university does or doesn't belong to. Do not believe the marketing. Look at each course and the teaching on each course and decide based on that.
I have family members who work in my department at two of the top unis for my field but yeah I'm sure some rando on TSR knows more than them 😆

Anecdotal evidence and arguing from authority. Nice

Oh but you have family members who are engineers? Looks like you beat me. That evidence is bulletproof :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by Johnathan94
You might well like it and of course, you should reach your own conclusion. But I genuinely do feel that Edinburgh would provide a better student experience for a foreign student, and I genuinely do know lots and lots of students who do not enjoy being in Aberdeen - both of the universities there have a lot of local students who just don't/can't move away from home.

I understand what you mean! I think I might fit in better with the student body at Edinburgh, the students there seemed more openminded and international, although you'll probably find all sorts of students at all unis so maybe I shouldn't worry about this too much.
Evidence?

I work for a global aerospace company and have daily contact with engineers from around the world all in world class organisations.

Many of the brightest and most capable engineers I know have a level of practical ability and flair easily surpassing 'prestigious' university graduates. They came up through the Polytechnic route.
Reply 35
Evidence?

1520185161978.jpg

Source: the CBI

Posted from TSR Mobile
I work for a global aerospace company and have daily contact with engineers from around the world all in world class organisations.

Many of the brightest and most capable engineers I know have a level of practical ability and flair easily surpassing 'prestigious' university graduates. They came up through the Polytechnic route.

Anecdotal evidence of one company doesn't really mean anything I'm afraid.
Original post by Doonesbury
1520185161978.jpg

Source: the CBI

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't specific to engineering.
Original post by Omar717
Anecdotal evidence and arguing from authority. Nice

Oh but you have family members who are engineers? Looks like you beat me. That evidence is bulletproof :frown:

No not just engineers. They actually work at universities. Like top positions. I think they would know what makes an engineer more employable let's be honest.
Reply 39
This isn't specific to engineering.

Engineering is one of the industries least affected by "prestige" bias.

Employers are looking for good people, especially in engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest