The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Jordan B Peterson - is he the dad you never had?

So it is no surprise the majority of his supporters and indeed those who purchased Jordan's self-help book "12 Rules for Life: An antidote to chaos" are radicalised young men. Is he the father figure that these young men are lacking and is his popularity explained by him filling a void in the minds/hearts of his followers. I've looked at the 12 rules and they're not ground breaking and these rules which he says is a framework for success are basic stuff that any father worth his salt would have taught his children before they leave for university.

The 12 rules are listed below judge for yourself:
1. sort your self out
2. clean your room
3. buckle up
4. recognise that life suffering
5. rescue your father
6. be a hero
7. Take the past and future authoring programs
8. Be humble about what you don't know
9. Give your life meaning
10. tell the truth
11. Don't bother the bad crowd
12. Adjust and adapt

Is he scamming our young men? Are they sheep? Do they have a good relationship with their father's?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i watch his videos daily
I scarcely know much about him, but I recently watched this Channel 4 interview he gave and was thoroughly impressed by the manner in which he conducted himself and the way in which he handled the agenda-driven interviewer:

He is an anti-PC version of Slavoj Zizek. It seems a lot of easily influenced men can not see beyond the main quality he shares with Zizek, namely pseudo-intellectualism.
Original post by Death and Taxes
He is an anti-PC version of Slavoj Zizek. It seems a lot of easily influenced men can not see beyond the main quality he shares with Zizek, namely pseudo-intellectualism.

It really is incredibly easy to call a person a 'pseudo-intellectual'; so easy, in fact, that anyone can do it. At least they present actual arguments in support of what they believe.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
It really is incredibly easy to call a person a 'pseudo-intellectual'; so easy, in fact, that anyone can do it. At least they present actual arguments in support of what they believe.

As is saying "the agenda-driven interviewer"

Thank you for your limited response.

If you can't work out why he is a pseudo-intellectual, you, like the majority of weak people, will be easily influenced by anyone with a bit of charisma.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
As is saying "the agenda-driven interviewer"

You don't believe this was self-evident from the interview?
Original post by Haviland-Tuf

1. sort your self out
2. clean your room
3. buckle up
5. rescue your father
6. be a hero
10. tell the truth
12. Adjust and adapt

He forgot the most important one.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
A lot of young men feel ignored or out of place and he speaks to them. Simple.
He forgot the most important one.

Spoiler

He supports capitalism and encourages his followers to exploit it to their advantage.

He is basically alt-right but less aggressive since he is Canadian.

As a male did you find the 12 rules at all new or helpful?
Original post by TrelaiBoy
A lot of young men feel ignored or out of place and he speaks to them. Simple.

This was my impression as well. Why are young white men (his main demographic) disenfranchised? Is it because for the push for diversity and immigration (two hot button topics that his followers love to 'debate')? Do they feel like their white identity is being threatened as women and people of colour gain more prominence and favour in jobs/education?
You don't believe this was self-evident from the interview?

These types of interviews are bascially near useless in trying to have an indepth debate and are generally hostile to thinking about things beyond a superfical layer of simplicity. The interveiwer trys to be and thinks they are neutral but in fact has a load of in built biases. That doesn't mean the interviewer has "an agenda". They generally beleive they don't they dont and act accordingly. They are genuinly trying to be neutral and ask quetions they think are useful.

If anything it's peterson who has the agenda. He is activly trying to push a message out there.

I think the manafactoring consent model is more or less right and it means poeple like Cathy Newman, are going to have basic pro feminist liberal viewpoints which means Peterson is obvioulsy gotta get some pushback. But then again... what was he expecting? An academic lecture Q&A?

The 11:05 mark in this vid sums it up and get a bonus stumped Andrew Mar XD

[video="youtube;GjENnyQupow"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjENnyQupow[/video]
(edited 6 years ago)
He supports capitalism and encourages his followers to exploit it to their advantage.

He is basically alt-right but less aggressive since he is Canadian.

[video="youtube;xECUrlnXCqk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk[/video]

As a young male I'm more concerned with fighting the alt-right than I am with winging that girl's wont have sex with me. :kungfu:
This was my impression as well. Why are young white men (his main demographic) disenfranchised? Is it because for the push for diversity and immigration (two hot button topics that his followers love to 'debate':wink:? Do they feel like their white identity is being threatened as women and people of colour gain more prominence and favour in jobs/education?

I'd imagine some of his followers think that (I've read the comments section *shivers*)

I think its more to do with the first point rather than the second. I'm not sure if its much to do with "White Identity" (although there's definitely a minority who do) but more to do with feeling ignored in the mainstream and I can kind of understand why they would feel ignored, there's a huge problem with male suicide and that doesn't seem to be discussed that often and is pushed down in favour of what some might see as "less important" topics

I think there's definitely a feeling of being out of place with the way the world has gone and I think that a lot of young men, rightly or wrongly, feel that nobody speaks up for them which is why they gravitate towards Peterson
This was my impression as well. Why are young white men (his main demographic) disenfranchised? Is it because for the push for diversity and immigration (two hot button topics that his followers love to 'debate':wink:? Do they feel like their white identity is being threatened as women and people of colour gain more prominence and favour in jobs/education?

Or when you are privileged having your privilege threatens feels opressive. :beard:
I don't even have a dad
Or when you are privileged having your privilege threatens feels opressive. :beard:

I think this is the kind of language that sees young men gravitate towards poeple like Peterson

I don't disagree that being a white man is beneficial, but the way you've framed that sounds very dismissive of any problems a young white man may have and leads to them gravitating towards someone like Peterson
So it is no surprise the majority of his supporters and indeed those who purchased Jordan's self-help book "12 Rules for Life: An antidote to chaos" are radicalised young men. Is he the father figure that these young men are lacking and is his popularity explained by him filling a void in the minds/hearts of his followers. I've looked at the 12 rules and they're not ground breaking and these rules which he says is a framework for success are basic stuff that any father worth his salt would have taught his children before they leave for university.

1. sort your self out
2. clean your room
3. buckle up
5. rescue your father
6. be a hero
10. tell the truth
12. Adjust and adapt

Is he scamming our young men? Are they sheep? Do they have a good relationship with their father's?

omg he needs to create a book for women, like he is amazing! He gives such good advice to men and women.
He really is my dad :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending