The Student Room Group

A level for Uni

I want to study electronic and computer engineering at uni, I already know what the requirements are but i was wondering if anyone can give me some insight or their opinion on the following A levels, and if they are indeed useful for me
Mathematics (Which is the main requirement)
Physics(which i chose over chemistry because it requires logic which is useful in computers)
Psychology (The third requirement states humanities will be welcomed, but i have no interest in humanities and would rather study this. I could choose computer science instead but im not sure)
Thanks
I do electronic engineering and most people on my course did Maths and Physics but the third subject is often just something they enjoyed (I did Economics), so I think your choices are perfect. Computer science might be more beneficial but if it's not a requirement then you'll be taught everything you need to know on the course. Your best bet is to choose whichever subject you'll enjoy more, or which one you think you are likely to get a higher grade in. Psychology is fine so long as you enjoy it and you'll be able to get the grades to meet your offer.
Reply 2
Original post by howitoughttobe
I do electronic engineering and most people on my course did Maths and Physics but the third subject is often just something they enjoyed (I did Economics), so I think your choices are perfect. Computer science might be more beneficial but if it's not a requirement then you'll be taught everything you need to know on the course. Your best bet is to choose whichever subject you'll enjoy more, or which one you think you are likely to get a higher grade in. Psychology is fine so long as you enjoy it and you'll be able to get the grades to meet your offer.

Thanks for your response, i want to do psychology as i see it as something i will enjoy, and your opinion will probably solidify my choice, thanks
Original post by cryssan
Thanks for your response, i want to do psychology as i see it as something i will enjoy, and your opinion will probably solidify my choice, thanks

So long as you think you can get a good grade in Psychology then I think it'll be an excellent choice. Plus it'll give you a broader range of subjects which will look good on your application and also give you options further down just in case electronic and computer engineering doesn't work out :smile:
Original post by cryssan
I want to study electronic and computer engineering at uni, I already know what the requirements are but i was wondering if anyone can give me some insight or their opinion on the following A levels, and if they are indeed useful for me
Mathematics (Which is the main requirement)
Physics(which i chose over chemistry because it requires logic which is useful in computers)
Psychology (The third requirement states humanities will be welcomed, but i have no interest in humanities and would rather study this. I could choose computer science instead but im not sure)
Thanks

Further maths or chemistry (or electronics or computer science - but I understand they are not commonly offered) would be more useful than psychology to be honest - but as long as you have maths and physics at suitably high grades you should be receiving offers.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Further maths or chemistry (or electronics or computer science - but I understand they are not commonly offered) would be more useful than psychology to be honest - but as long as you have maths and physics at suitably high grades you should be receiving offers.

yeah i understand this, well, i have until September to change my mind, but thanks for the opinion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest