The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Many jobs at your age which don't even look at GCSEs but more on your social ability and so on. the only problem you'll have is actually finding a job because there's not many around these days
Reply 2
Original post by izzybiz
i have no gcses and need to get a job :frown:

i am doing maths and English at college now, but i really need a job now as i am really short of money

is there any sort of job i could get or should i not bother?? :confused:

Retail, waiting, cleaning, kitchen assistant, bar work (if youre 18+)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of all the jobs I've applied for and worked at, not a single one has asked to see my GCSE or A-level certificates, so if a job says they are a requirement just make it up if you really have to, they probably won't check. It sounds bad to lie but if you really need the money and are willing to do the work it's better than having no income whatsoever. Cleaning jobs, retail and supermarket jobs tend to be available to those with little or no GCSEs, and often don't require any.
Reply 4
I was in your position last year. My recommendation is to get your SIA license (security industry authority). Since you are unemployed the government will pay for it.

There is a nice bit of security work out there and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I've got to the point where I want to move on to something else but since I've got my door supervisor and cctv licenses it's been a breeze getting work and it's helped build my cv by working in places.like aviation, maritime, film studios, movie sets, radio studios. It also opened up other opportunities to gain various other qualifications such as first aid, cossh, customer service and many other little stupid things, looks decent on your curriculum vitae though :wink:

Can't recommend it enough as it gets you a bit of experience, a few references and gets your foot on the employment ladder. A lot of it is boring though with little to no work and I highly recommend avoiding retail security.

Definitely worth it. If you don't want to go down this path you could always cbe a cleaner (I done it before secuity), wait tables, sales assistant, fast food restaurants, commission work etc. Don't let people tell you there's no work out there, sure it's hard but there's work for people who want it. Another tip is to always dress professional, first impressions mean a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by izzybiz

i am doing maths and English at college now, but i really need a job now as i am really short of money

You could try shops/supermarkets/fast food places etc, as they dont focus much on GCSE's
Reply 6
Just become a footballer, no GCSE's needed for that.
There are no jobs out there for the uneducated. If I was an employer, 3 A-Levels at AAA would be the minimum I would ask for.

No GCSE's? :biggrin: Even my cleaner has a degree. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
There are no jobs out there for the uneducated. If I was an employer, 3 A-Levels at AAA would be the minimum I would ask for.

If I were an employer, there would be no job for those who have poor grammar and use apostrophes incorrectly.
:smug:
Original post by izzybiz

Some application forms will ask you if you've got a C in English and maths; if it's for an entry-level job, just lie... I work part-time at McDonald's and there've never asked to see my certificates
believe or not you'll probably have better luck than many who do since people often get turned away for being 'overqualified'.
Most of my family have no GCSEs and have good jobs :smile: there are plenty of jobs out there which won't really be bothered about academic qualifications :smile:

You're still an idiot
Original post by JasmineWills
You're still an idiot

Don't bump a thread from 2013.
Original post by Bill Nye
Don't bump a thread from 2013.

Why not
Why not

Cause ITS DA RULES BOI

Spoiler

Original post by Bill Nye
Cause ITS DA RULES BOI

Spoiler

There are no rules
There are no rules

Tell that to the mods -.-

i would never employ you and careful on what you say about people...

and my cleaner has more gcse's than your mum so good luck if you get fired :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending