The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Jordan B Peterson - is he the dad you never had?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrelaiBoy
I'd imagine some of his followers think that (I've read the comments section *shivers*)

I think its more to do with the first point rather than the second. I'm not sure if its much to do with "White Identity" (although there's definitely a minority who do) but more to do with feeling ignored in the mainstream and I can kind of understand why they would feel ignored, there's a huge problem with male suicide and that doesn't seem to be discussed that often and is pushed down in favour of what some might see as "less important" topics

I think there's definitely a feeling of being out of place with the way the world has gone and I think that a lot of young men, rightly or wrongly, feel that nobody speaks up for them which is why they gravitate towards Peterson

There is a male suicide crisis in Britain, nobody is denying that, but no one knows why at the moment so I think to suggest that this is due to women and people of colour gaining more rights might be slightly too early to say. We are facing a masculinity crisis as well and perhaps that's the issue... The rise of single-motherhood as a result of men failing to be responsible for their children, particularly the male ones. This actually fits in with the premise of this thread and the OP, that is, Jordan is a substitute dad for these young men who may lack that male father figure. Is this the real issue?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Angry Bird
i watch his videos daily

And what do you enjoy about his ramblings young man?
Original post by justanotherchica
omg he needs to create a book for women, like he is amazing! He gives such good advice to men and women.
He really is my dad :smile:

I'm sure that the 12 rules were written without gender in mind so there's nothing stopping you from cleaning your room and surrounding yourself with good friends!

What about his advice would you say is good? Anything in particular?
Original post by justanotherchica
omg he needs to create a book for women, like he is amazing! He gives such good advice to men and women.
He really is my dad :smile:

Lmao
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
There is a male suicide crisis in Britain, nobody is denying that, but no one knows why at the moment so I think to suggest that this is due to women and people of colour gaining more rights might be slightly too early to say. We are facing a masculinity crisis as well and perhaps that's the issue... The rise of single-motherhood as a result of men failing to be responsible for their children, particularly the male ones. This actually fits in with the premise of this thread and the OP, that is, Jordan is a substitute dad for these young men who may lack that male father figure.

I don't think its down to women and people of colour gaining more rights

I think there's a lot of weight in your theory regarding single-mothers and broken families. I also agree on the masculinity crisis, certain "masculine" traits and activities seem to be becoming looked down upon in younger generations which leaves a lot of people feeling lost

I think a lot of Peterson's followers think that "less important" matters are being pushed to the mainstream ahead of male issues

I'm not one of his followers by the way, I've watched a fair few of the videos and I can see why people would be drawn to him, but I'm not
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Or when you are privileged having your privilege threatens feels opressive. :beard:

When I am factually disadvantaged at getting places in some universities and schemes due to my race I would say that is a textbook case of racism and opression.
Original post by TrelaiBoy
I don't think its down to women and people of colour gaining more rights

I think there's a lot of weight in your theory regarding single-mothers and broken families. I also agree on the masculinity crisis, certain "masculine" traits and activities seem to be becoming looked down upon in younger generations which leaves a lot of people feeling lost

I think a lot of Peterson's followers think that "less important" matters are being pushed to the mainstream ahead of male issues

I'm not one of his followers by the way, I've watched a fair few of the videos and I can see why people would be drawn to him, but I'm not

I know you're not one of his followers but you appear to know quite a bit about him and you are male so I was just asking you some direct questions to clear my misconceptions! You're right, the man is extremely charismatic if nothing else.
I know you're not one of his followers but you appear to know quite a bit about him and you are male so I was just asking you some direct questions to clear my misconceptions! You're right, the man is extremely charismatic if nothing else.

Ok :smile:

Yeah, the guy is charismatic and knows his audience which makes his videos very effective at conveying his message

He's talking about fairly simple stuff really with the "12 rules", its just setting standards and maintaining those standards. If he's helping people that's great, he's discussed people who've told him he saved them from committing suicide and if he continues that then he deserves a lot of credit, but there does seem to be something slightly off about him and some of his followers

What do you think of him and some of the issues he focuses on?
Original post by AperfectBalance
When I am factually disadvantaged at getting places in some universities and schemes due to my race I would say that is a textbook case of racism and opression.

With all due respect, stop playing the victim. Diversity is not racist and it is inclusion at it is best. White men have benefited from positive discrimination for centuries where education was a luxury only afforded to this group and yet denied to so many like women and people of colour so I find your allegation that diversity is bad slightly hypocritical. Look, I understand that you may be threatened because a woman or person of colour may or may not have received your university offer but the cold truth is that you're not competing against women and people of colour but you were not good enough against the other white men who also applied. To put it simply, you didn't make the cut. Move along. No need to be bitter, get better.

You do have a point though about white women disproportionalty benefiting from all diversity initiatives when in reality they were complicit in racist and discriminatory practices of the past.
(edited 6 years ago)
He doesn't claim the rules to be particularly unique or "groundbreaking", but for me, his ideas and underlying messages are conveyed with an impressive level of clarity and eloquence. Moreover, our society is struggling with alarming levels of mental health problems, so an articulate clinical psychologist who interacts with audiences through the internet to help improve the lives of people who are falling into pitfalls can only be a good thing.

Is he scamming young men? Not from my knowledge. And not everyone has a good relationship with their parents. But no, he's not a "dad replacement", he's a man that has shared his insights on various platforms.
(edited 6 years ago)

Which Universities?
Brb, gonna clean my room.

That's a big claim.
How do you know this?
He supports capitalism and encourages his followers to exploit it to their advantage.

He is basically alt-right but less aggressive since he is Canadian.

As a male did you find the 12 rules at all new or helpful?

He is definitely not alt-right.

I wouldn't try pinning Peterson on the political spectrum because you simply can't. He holds many views and doesn't ascribe to any ideology - certainly not the alt-right anyway.
Reply 34
Peterson recently remarked that his publishers say it's not mostly men purchasing his book actually.

It looks like his following being mainly men previous to his book was a result of youtube (where he first gained popularity) being a male dominated website

/thread?
The rise of single-motherhood as a result of men failing to be responsible for their children, particularly the male ones. This actually fits in with the premise of this thread and the OP, that is, Jordan is a substitute dad for these young men who may lack that male father figure. Is this the real issue?

Not trying to be confrontational here, but the single-motherhood/parent problem is very America-exclusive.

We don't have a single-parent crisis here unlike America - the rate has not been increasing. I would implore you to do further research on how much of what Peterson says holds truth in the UK...because he speaks from an American perspective.

The proportion of families with children headed by single parents has remained at around 25 percent for over a decade (vi)

The proportion of single parents who are fathers has stayed at around 10 percent for over ten years (vii)

The proportion of single parents in work increased from 55.8 percent to 64.4 percent over the past decade (viii)

Single parents’ risk of poverty has fallen over the past decade, yet those in single-parent families are still nearly twice as likely to be in poverty as those in couple-parent families. (ix)

Source: https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/policy-campaigns/publications-index/statistics/

TLDR: There is no rise in single-motherhood families in the UK.
Original post by Hijikata
He doesn't claim the rules to be particularly unique or "groundbreaking", but for me, his ideas and underlying messages are conveyed with an impressive level of clarity and eloquence. Moreover, our society is struggling with alarming levels of mental health problems, so an articulate clinical psychologist who interacts with audiences through the internet to help improve the lives of people who are falling into pitfalls can only be a good thing.

Is he scamming young men? Not from my knowledge. And not everyone has a good relationship with their parents. But no, he's not a "dad replacement", he's a man that has shared his insights on various platforms.

So you're saying Jordan B Peterson is the docile man's smart person? I only brought up the money he's raising from his internet fame is because he is raking in close to 50k through crowd-funding per month as he has the mobs of disillusioned young men hanging on his every YouTubed word. This is not at all surprising though because the alt-right, which is vastly made up of young men who appear to be white, is desperate for leadership and fresh new ideas. And as you mention he brings a focus and "clarity" to the fragmented and chaotic minds of the legions of young men that listen to him. With that said, he charges his fats 30 dollars for access to a 'self-authorising suit' and a further 10 dollars will get you even more useless access to services which you can find on the internet and for cheap like doing a buzzfeed personality test which is both free and infinitely more fun than anything this man has to offer.

Finally, he puts a lot of stress on the important of father figures and how vital it is for young men to be brought up in households with unfragmented father figures. Since you don't think he's much of a father substitute to his fans do you disagree with what he says about fathers being improtant?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
He is definitely not alt-right.

I wouldn't try pinning Peterson on the political spectrum because you simply can't. He holds many views and doesn't ascribe to any ideology - certainly not the alt-right anyway.

Well it is only difficult to pin him on the political spectrum because the man is disingenuous and he is extremely adept at avoiding implicating himself in anything substantial. For example, the man became famous for announcing that he would not use a student’s preferred pronoun if he were asked to, except that he might if he felt the request was “genuine,” and no one had asked him that anyway. He thrives on provoking people and his followers appear to get the same enjoyment out of it too.

Peterson is not a hardcore alt-righter and I wouldn't call him neo-Nazi as others have done. BUT there’s a reason he’s as popular as he is on the alt-right. You’ll never hear him use the phrase “We must secure a future for our white children”; what you will hear him say is that, while there does appear to be a causal relationship between empowering women and economic growth, we have to consider whether this is good for society, “‘’cause the birth rate is plummeting.” He doesn’t call for a “white ethnostate,” but he does retweet divisive alt-right articles
So you're saying Jordan B Peterson is the docile man's smart person?

I did not say this at all. Where on earth did you get that from? Though he is evidently an intelligent man as evidenced by his career alone.

I only brought up the money he's raising from his internet fame is because he is raking in close to 50k through crowd-funding per month as he has the mobs of disillusioned young men hanging on his every YouTubed word.

Cults of most kinds are undesirable, but if he's raising money, good for him, I guess? You're placing a substantial amount of people that follow his work in a single basket.

This is not at all surprising though because the alt-right, which is vastly made up of young men who appear to be white, is desperate for leadership and fresh new ideas. And as you mention he brings a focus and "clarity" to the fragmented and chaotic minds of the legions of young men that listen to him.

Let's assume these fans are alt-right white males ( I know some of them may be), what on earth is wrong with them being receptive to some of Peterson's ideas? It's surely preferable to the alt-right movement in general.

With that said, he charges his fants 30 dollars for access to a 'self-authorising sweet' and a further 10 dollars will get you even more useless access to services which you can find on the internet and for cheap like doing a buzzfeed personality test which is both free and infinitely more fun than anything this man has to offer.
Finally, he puts a lot of stress on the important of father figures and how vital it is for young men to be brought up in households with unfragmented father figures. Since you don't think he's much of a father substitute to his fans do you disagree with what he says about fathers being improtant?

I am not aware of these charges as I've never looked into it, but he has released hours and hours of content on Youtube, which is widely accessible and evidently had a profound and positive effect on the lives of many people.

I can't talk for all of his fans, but I do think to have a good relationship with a mother and a father would only benefit the child. Him putting an emphasis on father models with reference to psychology and physiology is his point. A sad fact of life is that many, many, many people do not have this bond, some don't even have parents at all, and in my view, Peterson can never fill this void, but people like Peterson can perhaps encourage people to nurture and mature themselves.

The ideas may be simple, but they are often backed up or referenced to complex psychological, philosophical, and even religious material. It's true that the alt-right movement has tried to glue themselves onto his work, but that alone does not refute the good he's doing.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm sure that the 12 rules were written without gender in mind so there's nothing stopping you from cleaning your room and surrounding yourself with good friends!

What about his advice would you say is good? Anything in particular?

will check it out lol
well he was talking about how women are being lied to by mainstream media and education by saying we can have it all and that marriage and motherhood can be sacrificed for a career but his experience with working with female lawyers as a clinical psychologist, he has found that it is not possible and by 30 most women (except an exceptional few) want to settle down and have children. He says that if women and men don't focus on marriage and relationships then by 40 they will be lonely and isolated and in a way repulsive and disagreeable to most people. He addresses some of the dilemmas that I face as a young girl, because I'm often confused by the messages sent through education and media and he just clarifies a lot of things.

Latest

Trending

Trending