The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by howitoughttobe
UMIST was a very prestigious university, hence why it was merged with Victoria University of Manchester and kept on, despite Victoria having it's own technology department.

No, that's not what I said at all. Don't try and twist my words. I think a year in industry is invaluable but it changes nothing about how good the actual degree is.

He went to a very prestigious university in his field. You're literally just talking nonsense now.

Was UMIST in the Russell Group? The usual loose definition of "prestigious".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Imperial isn't a year. Bath isn't RG.

Defeated response.
I don't. But "prestigious" universities tend not to offer them. Regrettably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I think more and more are now. I think this is because it's becoming more and more apparent that they (and, in fact, industrial experience generally, not necessarily confined to a formal year out in industry) is really valuable, and something that students are placing more emphasis on now.
Hi! I am still waiting for offers from all the unis I have applied for (Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee) but I am 80% sure I am going to choose Aberdeen if I get an offer. Even tho Edinburgh ranks higher, I can only do International Relations but I would perfer to do a double major. So I am in the same situation. I think choosing the uni which you feel more comfortable at is the best thing to do. You are going to spend about 4 years there after all :smile:
Original post by Smack
Actually I think more and more are now. I think this is because it's becoming more and more apparent that they (and, in fact, industrial experience generally, not necessarily confined to a formal year out in industry) is really valuable, and something that students are placing more emphasis on now.

Absolutely. The success of Aston, Bath and Surrey in employability measures plus pressure from hefce et al to improve employment rates had the majority of universities working towards placements from about 2010ish. The fee rise (and recent changes to placement FTEs giving an extra boost to spend per student and staff student ratios in the league tables) has accelerated implementation.

Take up /availability is still fairly low though. And the picture now is very different to a decade ago.
Original post by Stephanie4115
Hi! I am still waiting for offers from all the unis I have applied for (Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee) but I am 80% sure I am going to choose Aberdeen if I get an offer. Even tho Edinburgh ranks higher, I can only do International Relations but I would perfer to do a double major. So I am in the same situation. I think choosing the uni which you feel more comfortable at is the best thing to do. You are going to spend about 4 years there after all :smile:

Good choice! I think course content is the most important factor indeed, and I strongly prefer Aberdeen's - it comes with a minor in psychology, quite a lot of options in courses, and a possible industrial placement :smile:. Hopefully you'll receive an offer soon!
Original post by Smack

Good news. Cambridge now requires a placement but it's only 6 weeks minimum. Although you can request to intermit if you want to do a full year.
Was UMIST in the Russell Group? The usual loose definition of "prestigious".

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know but it was an extremely prestigious and well regarded university in its field. I'm starting to suspect that you don't really know what you're talking about.
Don’t do the mistake I made. I still wish I went to the lower ranked uni just because for the uni life and the location. Go where your heart and brain desires, after all it’s the best 3/4+ years of your life.
I don't know but it was an extremely prestigious and well regarded university in its field. I'm starting to suspect that you don't really know what you're talking about.

How old were you when umist was taken over by Manchester?
Original post by PQ
And for what it's worth

Aberdeen Engineering grads earn substantially more than Edinburgh grads
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university
(median earnings after 3 years - Aberdeen £43,500, Ed £35,200, after 1 year Ab £32,300 ed £29,400 and 5 yrs it's ab £49,000 Ed £36,700)

(and the economist study is a pile of crap with *****y sample sizes - the LEO data looks at HMRC and DWP data to work out earnings)

The Economist study is based on the LEO data. Its crappy sample size is just as crappy LEO study based on HMRC and DWP, which included 95% of graduates. Note, I only referenced it for actual earnings.

Also my post was about neuroscience and overall earnings, not engineering. Doonesbury and his lot brought up engineering.
Original post by PQ
How old were you when umist was taken over by Manchester?

8. But I still know it was a prestigious university and the reputation it had if that's your attempt at an argument.
You initially said:

Why do RG unis have higher entry requirements then? Surely if it makes no difference then all universities would recruit students equally and have the same requirements. The fact is that non-RGs aren't as good so they have lower entry requirements in order to try and get students to apply there.

I responded:

Original post by jestersnow
Dear goodness. You actually believe say, that St Andrews or Bath aren't as good as some RG universities??

Your informed response:

St Andrews and Bath have the same entry requirements as RG unis. Ok I'm literally done with this level of stupidity.

I fail to see how quoting you directly was a "level of stupidity". You literally said that "non-RG aren't as good so they lower entry requirements". When I mentioned non-RG unis that do have high requirements and strong reputations, you responded with an ad hominem response, and for the umpteenth time in this dialogue, failed to offer any sensible, coherent empirical evidence to support what you said. Simply repeating your subjective, biased opinion over and over again doesn't mean you are correct.

I posted this as I felt this was apt summation of how this dialogue has went.
Lol just yesterday I firmed a top 60s Uni and made a top 15 Uni (RG) my insurance. (My highest ranking Uni offer was top 10). I picked convenience and ease of available resources over something intangible as "prestige".
Original post by jestersnow
You initially said:

I fail to see how quoting you directly was a "level of stupidity". You literally said that "non-RG aren't as good so they lower entry requirements". When I mentioned non-RG unis that do have high requirements and strong reputations, you responded with an ad hominem response, and for the umpteenth time in this dialogue, failed to offer any sensible, coherent empirical evidence to support what you said. Simply repeating your subjective, biased opinion over and over again doesn't mean you are correct.

I posted this as I felt this was apt summation of how this dialogue has went.

Obviously I was talking about the ones that have lower requirements, not the ones with the same requirements. It was just easier to say "non-RG unis", I would've thought it was pretty obvious what I meant. But as I said, I can't deal with your level of stupidity.

I've provided so much evidence in this thread, if you still believe the reputation of the uni doesn't matter then fine. But you're deluding yourself.
Original post by JDieMstr
Lol just yesterday I firmed a top 60s Uni and made a top 15 Uni (RG) my insurance. (My highest ranking Uni offer was top 10). I picked convenience and ease of available resources over something intangible as "prestige".

I hope, for your sake, that this doesn't bite you in the near future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously I was talking about the ones that have lower requirements, not the ones with the same requirements. It was just easier to say "non-RG unis", I would've thought it was pretty obvious what I meant. But as I said, I can't deal with your level of stupidity.

I've provided so much evidence in this thread, if you still believe the reputation of the uni doesn't matter then fine. But you're deluding yourself.

So you made a point poorly, with a sweeping generalising statement with no objective evidence to support it. The logical incoherency was pointed out to you, but it's the listener's fault you can't be bothered to articulate the (poorly made) argument you were trying to make. I'm starting to think you haven't been to university.

BTW slick, I'm not stupid. I have a Masters degree in a STEM subject from a RG university, so of course I must be the "best and brightest", based on your world view :wink: I also don't take advice on intelligence levels from someone who employs pointless, suboptimal grammatical practices (e.g. starting a sentence with a redundant co-ordinanting conjunction).
Original post by Princepieman
I hope, for your sake, that this doesn't bite you in the near future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, got a placement year with it. I think I'm sorted as long as I manage to become a Chartered Accountant within 3 years after graduation. Don't think you need to attend some top notch Uni to do decently in this field, eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending