The Student Room Group
Original post by LR9797
I have a schools direct interview and one of the activities is a subject knowledge test. I'm really worried as my subject knowledge is not up to scratch yet as my degree is in a different subject! Does anybody have experiences of what the knowledge tests are like?

Hi, you might be more likely to get a response on the teaching sub-forum here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97

I applied for a PGCE so I haven't done this subject knowledge test, but at some interviews I was asked subject knowledge based questions. I'd say the best thing to do is to look through the curriculum for your subject upto GCSE (or look at a GCSE spec) and check you could answer questions on all or most of the subjects. If not, a bit of revision might be needed!

Which subject is this for?
Original post by LR9797
I have a schools direct interview and one of the activities is a subject knowledge test. I'm really worried as my subject knowledge is not up to scratch yet as my degree is in a different subject! Does anybody have experiences of what the knowledge tests are like?

Hi, you might be more likely to get a response on the teaching sub-forum here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97

I applied for a PGCE so I haven't done this subject knowledge test, but at some interviews I was asked subject knowledge based questions. I'd say the best thing to do is to look through the curriculum for your subject upto GCSE (or look at a GCSE spec) and check you could answer questions on all or most of the subjects. If not, a bit of revision might be needed!

Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark

Thanks! The subject is Biology and my degree is in Sports Science.
Original post by LR9797
Thanks! The subject is Biology and my degree is in Sports Science.

I also applied for biology :smile: Maybe consider looking at plant biology? I imagine that's the bit you haven't done for the longest?

Also, as you'd be expected to teach general science up to KS3, check if you'll have any chemistry or physics questions to answer.

Good Luck!
Reply 5
Hello fellow prospective teachers. I am taking a chance to see if anyone responds after the above message has been posted 3 years ago. Teaching has been part of my career like a golden thread and I am pursuing this. My wish as an international student from South Africa, is to emigrate to the UK and teaching Biology at Secondary schools in the UK.1. I also have a Master degree in Sport Science and specialized in a nice direction.2. LR9797, did you manage with regards to actually passing the subject knowledge test?- I had an interview and the subject knowledge test was literally advanced science related only. ( At O-level - knowledge you would master at 16 yeas) Only 3 biology related questions! (Nutrition, Anaerobic waste products in the body, and motivating the answer). This was a major disappointment.3. Please, all current Biology Secondary teachers/successful candidates - can you please shed some light on what exactly is expected as an Secondary Biology Teacher. I genuinely need help. Please don't just refer me to the KS3/4 curriculum. I prepped using this. Perhaps sharing exact formulas or mathematic equations expected from a secondary biology teacher in the UK? Actually any Science related topics will help. I have only 1interview left (Birmingham University). I want to ace it, follow my dream of 22 years and become a teacher :smile:. I finally managed to save enough money. So this is a last chance for me. Best regards Syndy
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending