The Student Room Group

Losing Scottish accent and Scottish identity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johnathan94
As a gay Glaswegian (although I think of myself more as just Scottish, having lived around the country now) the one nice thing about this post is...

I'll get back to you.

What's wrong? Have I offended you?
Original post by TrelaiBoy
Glasgow is similar to every British city, it has run down areas and nicer areas. People won't care that you're from Glasgow

Most cities in the UK are nicer than Glasgow. I'm still not going to go onto a cruise ship and tell people that I am from Glasgow. Would you be happy telling people that you are from somewhere that you dislike?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
Most cities in the UK are nicer than Glasgow. I'm still not going to go onto a cruise ship and tell people that I am from Glasgow. Would you be happy telling people that you are from somewhere that you dislike?

I'm from Cardiff and have no problem telling people where I'm from, there's some proper shitholes and run down areas here but that doesn't make me ashamed of where I grew up
Original post by Joe2001
What's wrong? Have I offended you?

I genuinely wouldn't say that I'm offended - I'm just struck by the horrible basket of character traits you seem to be parading around, without any visible embarrassment.

Your message here seems to be that you can't wait to change your accent (pretty hard to do such that your adopted one sounds natural) and your reason for this is that you can't help but feel smugly superior to everyone around you in town.

I suspect/hope that you're quite young because if I'm talking to an adult then I truly feel bad for your having to carry around all this melodramatic shame about your roots.
(edited 6 years ago)
I genuinely wouldn't say that I'm offended - I'm just struck by the horrible basket of character of traits you seem to be parading around, without any visible embarrassment.

Your message here seems to be that you can't wait to change your accent (pretty hard to do such that your adopted one sounds natural) and your reasons for this is that you can't help but feel smugly superior to everyone around you in town.

I suspect/hope that you're quite young because if I'm talking to an adult then I truly feel bad for your having to carry around all this melodramatic shame about your roots.

Since you're from Glasgow, I can talk local areas with you.
I AM embarrassed at coming from Coatbridge whilst most people in my school comes from prestigious areas such as the West End or South Side. Growing up in such a s***hole of a town has made me feel as if I am better than living there for the rest of my life. I want to achieve a lot in my life. I want a degree at university, I want to join the cruise ships, travel the world, and eventually get promoted to Cruise Director (means nothing to non cruise folks but whatever). On ships, I will be mixing with people from all over the world, but if we are talking my preferred department, about 50% of them are English or American. I don't really want to say that I am from somewhere like Scotland, but certainly not any mention of Glasgow. I'm not proud of my Glaswegian roots whatsoever and simply want to be myself. You only live once, better do what you want with it.

FWIW - I am 16, so not an adult.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm from Cardiff and have no problem telling people where I'm from, there's some proper shitholes and run down areas here but that doesn't make me ashamed of where I grew up

Good for you if you are proud of your Welsh roots. I'm happy for you in that case.

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that I am not proud of my Scottish roots. Ultimately, if something is bugging me, I should just get rid of it.
Original post by Joe2001
Good for you if you are proud of your Welsh roots. I'm happy for you in that case.

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that I am not proud of my Scottish roots. Ultimately, if something is bugging me, I should just get rid of it.

Cheers mate

Fair enough, I just think you'll regret it later down the line
Cheers mate

Fair enough, I just think you'll regret it later down the line

I'll come back in about 7 years once I have done a couple of contracts on ships and see if I do regret it...
Original post by Joe2001
Since you're from Glasgow, I can talk local areas with you.
I AM embarrassed at coming from Coatbridge whilst most people in my school comes from prestigious areas such as the West End or South Side. Growing up in such a s***hole of a town has made me feel as if I am better than living there for the rest of my life. I want to achieve a lot in my life. I want a degree at university, I want to join the cruise ships, travel the world, and eventually get promoted to Cruise Director (means nothing to non cruise folks but whatever). On ships, I will be mixing with people from all over the world, but if we are talking my preferred department, about 50% of them are English or American. I don't really want to say that I am from somewhere like Scotland, but certainly not any mention of Glasgow. I'm not proud of my Glaswegian roots whatsoever and simply want to be myself. You only live once, better do what you want with it.

FWIW - I am 16, so not an adult.

I was actually born not too far from Coatbridge!
Fair enough, I've never seen a postcard from there but I still think you're being very melodramatic.

Not to turn this post into my CV: but since leaving Glasgow I've attained 4 degrees. I've worked in labs, given guest lectures, done a lot of non-profit work... It's a good track record for someone still under 25 - Glasgow didn't hold me back. Whilst most people can't discern my accent as Glaswegian, it's distinctly Scottish and if anything the people I've met at interviews, or conferences, have found it a bit endearing.

I've been across to North America a few times now as part of uni/work and it really isn't that hard to be the charming, convivial Scotsman abroad. The Scottish accent is, globally at least, quite rare. Have a drink, give it your best "Freeeeedom" and swear blind that you once saw a wild haggis.

If you really are going to treat adulthood as some quest where the goal is to distance yourself as much as possible from where you come from then no one can stop you, but I genuinely think you'll be a happier, more-rounded person if you can find a way to embrace it. On Scotland as a whole, however, I think one day you're going to find that it has a lot to be proud of compared to our neighbour to the South.
Perhaps it will be when you're asked for £27k in tuition fees.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Joe2001

Uh, how many Scots are crew on your cruise ship?
Original post by Doonesbury
Uh, @Gofre how many Scots are crew on your cruise ship?

I've worked with three Scots on my department over the last two years, all of whom were sacked for drinking :ahee: There's normally a couple of them knocking around in the engineering department on each ship too.

@Joe2001 what cruise ship are you going on? Passenger or crew?
I have been a guest on cruise ships during my summer holidays since 2009, and have developed a passion for what the Cruise Director does (you'll probably know who the Cruise Director is). After university, I want to join the Cruise Director's Staff and hopefully become CD after about 5-8 years with the company.
Original post by Joe2001
I have been a guest on cruise ships during my summer holidays since 2009, and have developed a passion for what the Cruise Director does (you'll probably know who the Cruise Director is). After university, I want to join the Cruise Director's Staff and hopefully become CD after about 5-8 years with the company.

Ents staff live the good life, nice choice :yy:

If I can make a suggestion, during your time at uni try and get involved with as much event hosting as you can, even if it's just hosting open mic nights at your local bar. That's the sort of experience they look for when hiring entertainment staff, at least it was with P&O.
I certainly will give that a go. I'm not sure what types of events that I would host whilst at university, but that would be something which I would discuss with someone who works there. I know a Cruise Director who actually got the job back in 2003 despite never having any experience in entertainment or public speaking, and made it to CD within 3.5 years, with one of his recent ships being the world's biggest. I sort of look up to him in that regard, although I won't take a gamble and apply without necessary experience.

Let me ask you - how is life working onboard? I'm very keen to learn more. Which places have you visited?

I have heard that entertainment staff have one of the best jobs on the ship, and of course, they get to leave the ship in many of the ports and see some great places.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 94
and swear blind that you once saw a wild haggis.

One of the clockwise or the even rarer anti-clockwise variety?
Original post by Joe2001
I certainly will give that a go. I'm not sure what types of events that I would host whilst at university, but that would be something which I would discuss with someone who works there.

Get involved with the student union offering to help out with events in whatever way you can, and work your way up from there. Ask around the pubs and bars seeing if they need any help setting up/running quiz nights, karaoke etc. One of my old schoolmates is trying to muscle his way into showbiz and he's been building this type of experience by sometimes just inventing the opportunities for himself, he convinced his local pub to let him start up an open mic night and that's been going for a few months now.

I know a Cruise Director who actually got the job back in 2003 despite never having any experience in entertainment or public speaking, and made it to CD within 3.5 years, with one of his recent ships being the world's biggest.

Oh yeah you can certainly do it without any experience, but the experience will always help, especially when it comes to being considered for progressing.

Let me ask you - how is life working onboard? I'm very keen to learn more. Which places have you visited?

Life is good once you get used to it. It's hard work, even for the entertainers, and getting a full day off is a rarity even for the entertainers. But in exchange you get so see some amazing places you'd probably never go otherwise.

I've probably missed a couple of places off, but in the last couple of years I've been to:

Spoiler

...and over the next six months I'll be adding Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Dubai, India, Oman, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Montenegro, Croatia, Solvenia, Turkjey and Albania to the list.

I have heard that entertainment staff have one of the best jobs on the ship, and of course, they get to leave the ship in many of the ports and see some great places.

Yeah ents have significantly less duties during port time so they're usually able to get off. The ship has to have a minimum amount of crew on board at all times from each department, but the small number of people who have to stay on each day is normally enough to cover all the work so the rest of the team can enjoy the port.
Wow - lots of great countries that you have visited! Personally, I would love to work on a ship out of Sydney and do sailings to Australia, New Zealand and islands in the South Pacific.

I have been told that ents often have to do work at the gangway during port days and turnaround days, although I would imagine that they would rotate those duties between each other.

No doubt after a 6 month contract, it would be exhausting, but it seems to be a job that they love. I really want to get started. It's a shame that they won't hire under 21's. 5 years feels like an eternity.

Thanks for the advice on what to do whilst at uni. I will look into this once I am there.

Also, one final question - does the ship itself influence how much you enjoy your contract? I can't help but think that the bigger the ship, the more fun it will be.
Original post by Joe2001
Wow - lots of great countries that you have visited! Personally, I would love to work on a ship out of Sydney and do sailings to Australia, New Zealand and islands in the South Pacific.

I was hoping to do australia/NZ this year but there wasn't a vacancy on on my next ship at the right time which was a shame!

I have been told that ents often have to do work at the gangway during port days and turnaround days, although I would imagine that they would rotate those duties between each other.

It depends on the cruise line. On P&O the ents guys only had to do gangway duty and embarks on turnaround days, not on an actual port day. But you're right in that duties are always on rotation.

What cruise line do you cruise with?

No doubt after a 6 month contract, it would be exhausting, but it seems to be a job that they love. I really want to get started. It's a shame that they won't hire under 21's. 5 years feels like an eternity.

At least you've got something to aspire to, I still haven't got a clue what i want to do long term :ahee:

Also, one final question - does the ship itself influence how much you enjoy your contract? I can't help but think that the bigger the ship, the more fun it will be.

Something to consider is that no matter how large the ship is, you'll be spending the vast majority of your free time in one of four places: The port, your cabin, where you eat and the crew bar. For all of these things, the size of the ship is fairly irrelevant. The crew bar tends to be busier on larger ships but for the most part your experience on board will be as fun as you make it, choosing by itinerary is far more important in my opinion.
That's a shame! Hopefully you can go there in the near future. Plenty of great places that you seem to be headed to this year though.

I usually cruise with Royal Caribbean. What attracts me to them is their ships. There are the really big ships like the Anthem of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas which are really groundbreaking in size, technology and innovation. On there, I have seen ents doing gangway duties on port days, but apparently the Sports Staff and Kids club staff also rotate on it, so probably only a couple of gangway shifts per week anyway.

Becoming the Cruise Director is my eventual aspiration, but I might hold off on going for that promotion until I am in late 20's/early 30's. I should travel and have fun whilst I am young. It is definitely what I aspire to be though.
As for the ships themselves, I can't help but think that a smaller ship would be a letdown compared to a big one. Take P&O for example, if you went from Britannia (newest and largest) to Aurora (quite small and nearly 2 decades old - my parents sailed on her for their honeymoon), wouldn't that feel a bit underwhelming? I suppose that the itinerary would make up for anything that the ship lacks though. Also, the crew bar should come in handy! :smile:
Original post by Joe2001
That's a shame! Hopefully you can go there in the near future. Plenty of great places that you seem to be headed to this year though.

Yeah I've timed it nicely to get on there next year when my new line goes to australia and asia, just got to keep fingers crossed for availability.

As for the ships themselves, I can't help but think that a smaller ship would be a letdown compared to a big one. Take P&O for example, if you went from Britannia (newest and largest) to Aurora (quite small and nearly 2 decades old - my parents sailed on her for their honeymoon), wouldn't that feel a bit underwhelming? I suppose that the itinerary would make up for anything that the ship lacks though. Also, the crew bar should come in handy! :smile:

I actually went from Ventura (2008, 3200 passengers) to Oriana, the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet at the time (P&O hadn't bought back Adonia yet), and then went onto Britannia for my most recent contract. I can honestly say the on-board experience was largely consistent across all three ships. There are differences of course, but I honestly don't have a favourite in terms of the ship itself outside of the two large ships having much better crew decks :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest