The Student Room Group

I have a double nationality, how does funding work?

I was born in Spain and I live in Spain but I also have a British passport. (my mom's spanish and my dad is english)

Do I apply to EU student funding or UK student funding. Does having a british nationality help in any way?

Thank you, - Laura x
Original post by dowell1475
I was born in Spain and I live in Spain but I also have a British passport. (my mom's spanish and my dad is english)

Do I apply to EU student funding or UK student funding. Does having a british nationality help in any way?

Thank you, - Laura x

nationality doesn't help, it's your residency for the past three/five years that matters so you're an eu student for funding purposes
Reply 2
If you live in the UK currently and have a British passport/nationality you should (im assuming) be applying for UK Student Funding.

I'm only 80% sure on this but as a British Citizen residing in Britain you should go through the British route.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
nationality doesn't help, it's your residency for the past three/five years that matters so you're an eu student for funding purposes

when I look into the EU student funding page they ask for a non-british passport, so if i applied to the uk funding with my uk passport they would decline it?
Reply 4
I'm a British and Spanish citizen living in Spain

Original post by x.hana
If you live in the UK currently and have a British passport/nationality you should (im assuming) be applying for UK Student Funding.

I'm only 80% sure on this but as a British Citizen residing in Britain you should go through the British route.
when I look into the EU student funding page they ask for a non-british passport, so if i applied to the uk funding with my uk passport they would decline it?

Yes because you re address would show you aren't a UK resident.

Thank you, - Laura x

Student finance look at residence not nationality. This means you would be classified as an EU student and entitled to a tuition fee loan only. You would have to pay any living costs yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending