The Student Room Group

choosing my a levels

Can everyone tell me their opinions on biology, sociology and media studies as options for a levels
What do you want to do in the future? Career wise I mean
Reply 2
Original post by Fazzy_77
What do you want to do in the future? Career wise I mean
I want to study psychology at uni to go on to be a clinical psychologist especially for teenagers
When choosing A levels, there is a common trap that people fall into where they spread themselves too thinly. If you know what you want to do at uni, I advise reading the prospectus to see what is required or if there are any recommended courses to take to gain a better standing in applying. Failing that, just try and find subjects that complement each other (science with maths, English with social sciences/drama, etc.) to maximise your prospects in a more specific area. Good luck either way!

Edit: saw you wanted to study Psychology. It might be worth ditching media studies or only doing it as an AS and following through on biology, sociology, and psychology to maximise your personal experience within the field. Also, check if your school/college runs a placement programme- ours runs a hospital volunteer scheme which would count as relevant work experience! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
do chemistry
Original post by honeybutter
I want to study psychology at uni to go on to be a psychologist especially for teenagers

these are perfectly acceptable a levels as there tend to be no specific requirements for a psychology degree. bear in mind that a couple of top unis (notably Oxbridge) like to see two facilitating subjects but unless you are applying to those unis it's a non issue and your a levels choices are fine. I'm assuming your school does not offer psychology a level, although this is no obstacle to doing a course in psychology at uni.
Reply 6
Original post by Polinaa
do chemistry

i prefer biology
Reply 7
I am currently doing Biology Chemistry and Physics and i'd say tht Biology has sooo much content to memorise but i overall enjoy learning some aspects whereas other topics are less enjoyable
I want to study psychology at uni to go on to be a clinical psychologist especially for teenagers

Why don't you study psychology at A Level? Your choices aren't great for a psychology degree?

Ideally, you would do Maths, Psychology and Biology.
i prefer biology

nah i meant instead of one of the other ones
ology
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Why don't you study psychology at A Level? Your choices aren't great for a psychology degree?

Ideally, you would do Maths, Psychology and Biology.
so do you think psychology biology and sociology would be better i struggle at maths by the way
(edited 6 years ago)
Some unis require maths for that and don't see media studies as a facilitating subject. So your choices will limit your university options.
ology so do you think psychology biology and sociology would be better

Yes, certainly.

You would've already covered bits of BSc topics at A Level, so it would make the degree easier too
Original post by alextheowl
Some unis require maths for that and don't see media studies as a facilitating subject. So your choices will limit your university options.

thats true thank you
Original post by aesthete1
these are perfectly acceptable a levels as there tend to be no specific requirements for a psychology degree. bear in mind that a couple of top unis (notably Oxbridge) like to see two facilitating subjects but unless you are applying to those unis it's a non issue and your a levels choices are fine. I'm assuming your school does not offer psychology a level, although this is no obstacle to doing a course in psychology at uni.
thank you and they do offer psychology but i thought cause its not required for the degree why dont i do something i like seeing as biology is alot of work
Original post by barror1
When choosing A levels, there is a common trap that people fall into where they spread themselves too thinly. If you know what you want to do at uni, I advise reading the prospectus to see what is required or if there are any recommended courses to take to gain a better standing in applying. Failing that, just try and find subjects that complement each other (science with maths, English with social sciences/drama, etc.) to maximise your prospects in a more specific area. Good luck either way!

Edit: saw you wanted to study Psychology. It might be worth ditching media studies or only doing it as an AS and following through on biology, sociology, and psychology to maximise your personal experience within the field. Also, check if your school/college runs a placement programme- ours runs a hospital volunteer scheme which would count as relevant work experience! :smile:
ill definitely check thank you so much
Can everyone tell me their opinions on biology, sociology and media studies as options for a levels

Not media studies. Your first job is to get into a good course.

Clinical is very competitive and I think you need to do a psychology degree at a Russell Group type university. They will ask for AAA at A level probably, so make sure you pick subjects you can realistically get that in. it's not much different from doing medicine. It is 6 years of study in total.

You need a 2.1 or preferably a 1st from your degree.

Your choices seem ok but if I were you then i would consider changing media studies to psychology. And are you sure about biology because it has a lot of content in it.
Reply 18
ology so do you think psychology biology and sociology would be better i struggle at maths by the way

I currently do psychology, biology and sociology and I'm year 12.

I'd recommend psychology especially if you want to do it at uni.
Sociology is a good subject to do too.
Biology is very difficult, but psychology at uni involves a lot of biology as far as I know so it MAY help.

Also make sure you get a decent maths grade at GCSE! Some unis want at least a B (luckily I got a 6 last year).

Quick Reply

Latest