The Student Room Group

Changing application from English to Law?

Hi,

I don't know whether this is even possible or if I would have to wait and apply for 2019 entry, but I have recently submitted a UCAS application and have been offered places to study English Literature.

However, I'm starting to think I would rather study Law. Even though it's hard work, I actually have already completed my A-Levels and got 3 A grades in English Lit, History and Philosophy, so I think I would be up to the challenge. Furthermore, the course seems really fascinating and I feel it would improve my post-graduate career prospects more than an English degree.

Should I contact the Law Department of the University I'm thinking of going to? Is it even worth trying, or should I withdraw this year's application and wait until next year if I'm dead set on doing Law? I have a friend who got onto a Law course and she did work experience at a legal firm, is that needed?

Helpful advice would be much appreciated!
(edited 6 years ago)
If you can flippantly change from literature to law, don't you think you might change your mind about law also?

If you don't mind me asking, what is so fascinating about law? What bits have you looked at and why did you like that? A lot of people look at only a small cross-section of law prior to university, an area that interests them. Usually criminal, maybe the history of the Lord Chancellor, etc etc. This obviously excludes those bits of law which do not interest them! Not many people look at contract, tort, equity, land before deciding to study law -- and for the most part, it will be these topics you'll be studying.

If I were you, I would have a think about what you really want to do. Remember, you can become a lawyer without having studied undergraduate law! If you decide that law is for you and you want to study it at uni, do contact your uni and ask to be switched over. Or take a year out, travel the globe and see elephants, whatever the gaprahs do, and then apply for 2019. And there's no need to have legal experience.
if you are serious about changing course you should ring up the unis that have offered you a place and ask if they will consider changing your offer to law. it is then completely up to the uni whether they will accept you for law.

failing that you can decline all your offers once you have received them all and apply for law courses through UCAS extra.

I suggest checking UCAS's faq for more information on how to change your course
I happen to very fond of the Lord Chancellors ... and the Serjeants-at-Law. If that makes me odd, lock me up and throw away the key.
A basement will do, as long as there's rope :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
A basement will do, as long as there's rope :wink:

What happened to this thread...but anyway thanks for the advice I'm sticking with English lmao.
Reply 6
I'm also torn. I'm in the US and I'll be moving to the UK shortly. I will already have finished a Bachelor's degree in English. So my choices are another Bachelor's in law or a Masters in English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending