The Student Room Group

How hard is to get in to university with BTEC

Hi
I was wondering how hard would it be to get in to good uni with BTEC.
I was wondering to do computer science at a good uni. I am currently studying BTEC IT level 3.
My GCSE grade is C,B,B,C,D,D,D and MM in level 2 IT.
Thank you
Original post by leobarry
Hi
I was wondering to do computer science at a good uni. I am currently studying BTEC IT level 3.
Thank you

Your GCSE are on the low side. You need to have passed maths and English amongst those.

The uni you can get into depends what BTEC and what grade.
It should be an extended diploma (equivalent to three A levels) and preferably a minimum of DMM.

If you ask careers or the library to look at this book it will list all CS courses by grade required and then you cna understand what the entrance requirements are. Alternatively look at the unis you are interested in and study entrance requirements.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAP-2018-University-Degree-Course/dp/1911067486
Trust me mate, don't worry about your GCSE (although, yes, a pass in English/Maths would be v good). Just put your head down for the assignments (teachers should overzealously help with) and get DDD or so, then a good number of mid-tier unis will probably take you. Leicester, for example, requires D*DD for some courses; which should be achievable.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Your GCSE are on the low side. You need to have passed maths and English amongst those.The uni you can get into depends what BTEC and what grade.
It should be an extended diploma (equivalent to three A levels) and preferably a minimum of DMM.

If you ask careers or the library to look at this book it will list all CS courses by grade required and then you cna understand what the entrance requirements are. Alternatively look at the unis you are interested in and study entrance requirements.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAP-2018-University-Degree-Course/dp/1911067486

I have passed math and English with 5 on math and 5 on English. I am redoing Math to get a higher grade. I got D on science but I’m thinking on redoing that next year as this year I got like 6 exam.
The thing got me worry is that if I redo science I will get the result in like March or in August depending on when I’m taking it. This mean I will apply for uni before I get my result.

Thank you for replying.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexJJCan
Trust me mate, don't worry about your GCSE (although, yes, a pass in English/Maths would be v good). Just put your head down for the assignments (teachers should overzealously help with) and get DDD or so, then a good number of mid-tier unis will probably take you. Leicester, for example, requires D*DD for some courses; which should be achievable.

Thank you for replying
Original post by leobarry
Hi
Thank you

If a uni requires aab then with a btec it might be aaa for example
Reply 6
Will the GCSE affect when applying for university,It not too good. University of Leeds for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending