The Student Room Group

Fat lady in denial about how bad being fat is

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jdddd
Is that you admitting it?

Obesity is a huge problem. I don't think we can just walk around criticising fat people for being fat though. Thought I made that clear.
Original post by angelike1
Obesity is a huge problem. I don't think we can just walk around criticising fat people for being fat though. Thought I made that clear.

I don’t think anybody has. The title is questionable, but if you read the post and the article there is no criticism I can see
Reply 62

I think if you're cleary obese you can be critisied. Iam by no means, meaning that people should shout at them in the streets etc I mean they should be more open to debate and people should allow criticism. Such as in the case of the OPs post, people should accept it, not argue back as Cancer research have a very valid point - in fact its fact.
Well smoking also drains money and puts strain on the NHS. But no I don't think they need new ambulances for smokers.

The amount the average smoker pays in cigarette tax over their lifetime more than covers the cost to the NHS in most cases.
Original post by jdddd
Well done! Not as much and as big of a problem as Smoking and Obesity jesus christ what is your problem? Must be hard to hard to understand for you. Yes i've trained in boxing. I've never seen someone so seriously injured that would of come to a major cost to the NHS, major injuries from fight related sports are small.

There’s no comparison between smoking/obesity and a sports injury. A sports injury happens when you doing something good for your health (exercise) and it goes a bit wrong. Smoking/obesity are bad for you whatever way you look at it.
Reply 66
[QUOTE="howitoughttobe;76423880"]The amount the average smoker pays in cigarette tax over their lifetime more than covers the cost to the NHS in most cases
Original post by Andrew97
There’s no comparison between smoking/obesity and a sports injury. A sports injury happens when you doing something good for your health (exercise) and it goes a bit wrong. Smoking/obesity are bad for you whatever way you look at it.

Exactly, dont know how hard it is for some people to understand.

Safer sports out there instead of MMA

Original post by howitoughttobe
The amount the average smoker pays in cigarette tax over their lifetime more than covers the cost to the NHS in most cases.

Food is taxed... Technically if you eat more you pay more to the NHS

Original post by jdddd
I think if you're cleary obese you can be critisied. Iam by no means, meaning that people should shout at them in the streets etc I mean they should be more open to debate and people should allow criticism. Such as in the case of the OPs post, people should accept it, not argue back as Cancer research have a very valid point - in fact its fact.

Well in this case I think criticism is fine. If both parties are open for a debate then by all means go ahead.
Reply 68
Well in this case I think criticism is fine. If both parties are open for a debate then by all means go ahead.

That long ass conversation and all your arguing for you to agree smh lol
Food is taxed... Technically if you eat more you pay more to the NHS

Some, but not all, food has VAT on it. However, cigarettes are extremely highly taxed so a smoker would contribute far more than an obese person. As I said most smokers cover their cost to the NHS through tax on cigarettes. As far as I'm aware, obese people paying VAT on some food doesn't cover the cost of their obesity to the NHS.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Nobody is claiming it's easy to slim down or become healthy from previously being fat/obese. But I have no sympathy for those who don't even try, and rather, as seen by a growing movement of fat acceptance, become comfortable being fat, ergo, implying its a good thing even as well as playing the victim in many situations.

Ignored or failed to understand my point.
Original post by ThomH97
After smoking, being obese is the leading cause of cancer. Apparently only 15% of people know this, so I think it is a good thing for CRUK to raise awareness of this. You will probably have seen some of their new posters this week.

A comedian called Sofie Hagen has taken issue with this, and the BBC also seem to be a bit critical, actually asking questions such as "Is "fatness" a bad thing?" which everybody should know the correct answer to before they reach high school.

In fact, given that there is clearly still ignorance about how bad obesity is, I think that further vindicates CRUK's decision to run this campaign. That people are trying to misrepresent this factual information into "Oh my god, it's fat shaming" is terrible. People may fat shame anyway, but the truth that being obese is a cause of cancer is still a truth people need to be aware of.

gains

Some sports carry higher injury risk than others and those that carry higher risk of serious injury aren't necessarily correspondingly better for your health so I don't think it is such a simple argument to make. Diving out of helicopters to snowboard down mountains might be something which keeps you fit but it could be argued that when you break your back and require life-long care, you were rolling the dice just as smokers are.
There is another option. It can be argued that some of us experience symptoms of addiction to certain high calorie/processed foods, just as we recognise addiction to tobacco and alcohol. Before you break your keyboard telling me how ridiculous that argument is, bear in mind that the kinds of food people typically get fat on are not in any meaningful sense 'natural' but created with excessive levels of fat and/or sugar which are known to be evolved eating stimulants. By any reasonable standard an addict, once an addict, isn't really 'choosing' to maintain their addiction, that's why we have a word for it.
Original post by Axiomasher
Some sports carry higher injury risk than others and those that carry higher risk of serious injury aren't necessarily correspondingly better for your health so I don't think it is such a simple argument to make. Diving out of helicopters to snowboard down mountains might be something which keeps you fit but it could be argued that when you break your back and require life-long care, you were rolling the dice just as smokers are.

I agree that certain sports carry a higher risk than others, but you said it yourself. Even the more dangerous sports have a health benefit. Smoking doesn’t have any.
My bad, I just took your post 'as is'. I still think that the very idea of 'choice' when it comes to food is problematic. Many of us have been brought up on a childhood food routine of highly processed convenience meals and snacks, sugar loaded sweets, fizzy drinks and so on. By the time we are adults, if not already obese, we are at least 'hooked' on things that are likely to lead to our obesity in the long-run. As I've suggested, we're very much hardwired to go for things like fat and sugar so when the food industry makes products that max-out on these many of us will succumb to that force.
I agree that certain sports carry a higher risk than others, but you said it yourself. Even the more dangerous sports have a health benefit. Smoking doesn’t have any.

Agreed. But if we're going to try and 'individualise' health responsibility then there's a case for challenging all recreational activities which are inherently risky, whether or not their pursuit otherwise has health benefits. To put it bluntly, if you don't want to pay for my cancer treatment because I smoked then maybe I don't want to pay for your 24 hour care needs because you broke your back snowboarding.

I don't actually smoke btw, just making the argument.
I too am sceptical as to the idea of pure choice. Something of a cause and effect process must be happening inside our brain which generates a 'choice', it isn't, in my view, a metaphysical process. This is aside from the wider external forces which also weaken the idea that choices are unfettered. I would also say that other than our basic evolved orientation towards calorie rich food (and thus sweet or fatty tastes) there appears to be a strong emotional aspect to our interest in food. Emotion can't help but cloud any simple rational or 'common sense' approach we might otherwise take yet it's probably not something we can easily break free from. Finally, it's always worth mentioning that once a person has put weight on they need only have a 'normal' calorific intake to stay where they are. Losing weight requires an additional cut in calories (or increased calorie burning exercise - or both). Simply starting to eat healthily isn't often enough of itself for an obese person to go back down in weight, hence it being so hard for people even when they are trying.
I think this woman is a disgrace tbh. Its incredibly selfish of her to tweet all this dribble about how being fat is okay- it is NOT okay.

If being fat makes you more likely to get some forms of cancer, then why the hell shouldn't CRUK highlight it? How dare she call CRUK, a charity whose research has no doubt saved thousands upon thousands of lives, "filthy c--ts". That's appalling.

I read that the NHS spends as much on treating obesity as we spend on the fire service, police service and judicial system COMBINED. Why is that okay, when (for most people), being fat is so preventable?

This super PC safe space which society is turning into is so dangerous because telling people it is okay to be fat is literally a threat to their health. Madness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending