The Student Room Group

How to move on from my ex? (bit lengthy warning!)

I was dating my ex for a while. We were in a fairly serious relationship, to the point where he told me himself he wanted to marry me by next year, and wants us to continue dating until the end of the year etc. Anyway, long story short, we got into an argument the last time we met (month ago), we resolved it or so I thought, but he ghosted me after that.

He avoided all of my calls, texts etc but kept me on all social media and kept my number. He didn't even block me considering how much I called out of concern of him disappearing so he must've liked the attention. I'm aware I'm dumped but without being 'officially' dumped. I feel like he's left the door open in case he decides to walk back in and pick up from where he left off and I'm scared I'll go back.

I think about him everyday and I miss him, but I never contact him anymore, I gave up. I've been trying to move on by getting very involved with the gym, university work, friends and family. How do I get over him? I received no closure.
Reply 1
You're well on your way, keep focused! And darling you don't need closure from him -- you don't need anything from him if he can't properly talk to you after a fight, no matter how big or small. Believe me.:wink:
Honestly, focus on yourself,your education and treat yourself! He's the one missing out not you!!
Hes hasnt got the guts to talk to you? no offence but screw him! if he was a man he would have talked to you

and one thing that reassures 100% (well it did for me) that his current gf or who ever hes with looks like a horse and youre beautiful, so work it gal! he doesnt need you, what you need is to treat yourself and know that you can get through this, You have to be a your strongest when youre feeling at your weakest!

I have faith in you, and so does everyone else, youre a strong independent woman who need no man!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by shivvs
You're well on your way, keep focused! And darling you don't need closure from him -- you don't need anything from him if he can't properly talk to you after a fight, no matter how big or small. Believe me.:wink:

Thank you for the support, I appreciate it :smile:. I just felt so broken and vulnerable after he left me. Mostly because I always tried my best to be a good girlfriend for him, as I saw him as my potential future husband at this point and I didn't want to screw anything up.

Even the fight was caused by him due to his own actions, yet I'm paying the price. I even text him to apologize if I played any part in our downfall because I thought it doesn't matter whose wrong or right at this point, I just wanted things to go back to how they were. Oh well.
Reply 4
Original post by CleverSquirrel
Honestly, focus on yourself,your education and treat yourself! He's the one missing out not you!!
Hes hasnt got the guts to talk to you? no offence but screw him! if he was a man he would have talked to you

and one thing that reassures 100% (well it did for me) that his current gf or who ever hes with looks like a horse and youre beautiful, so work it gal! he doesnt need you, what you need is to treat yourself and know that you can get through this, You have to be a your strongest when youre feeling at your weakest!

I have faith in you, and so does everyone else, youre a strong independent woman who need no man!! :biggrin:

aww thank you, sweet words like this really make my day :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
I was dating my ex for a while. We were in a fairly serious relationship, to the point where he told me himself he wanted to marry me by next year, and wants us to continue dating until the end of the year etc. Anyway, long story short, we got into an argument the last time we met (month ago), we resolved it or so I thought, but he ghosted me after that.

He avoided all of my calls, texts etc but kept me on all social media and kept my number. He didn't even block me considering how much I called out of concern of him disappearing so he must've liked the attention. I'm aware I'm dumped but without being 'officially' dumped. I feel like he's left the door open in case he decides to walk back in and pick up from where he left off and I'm scared I'll go back.

I think about him everyday and I miss him, but I never contact him anymore, I gave up. I've been trying to move on by getting very involved with the gym, university work, friends and family. How do I get over him? I received no closure.

He told you he wanted to marry you, then couldn't even be bothered to actually end the relationship. He sounds like a real tosser, you're much better off without him. Go out there and realise how many better men there are and you'll soon forget about him.
Reply 6
Thank you for the support, I appreciate it :smile:. I just felt so broken and vulnerable after he left me. Mostly because I always tried my best to be a good girlfriend for him, as I saw him as my potential future husband at this point and I didn't want to screw anything up.

Even the fight was caused by him due to his own actions, yet I'm paying the price. I even text him to apologize if I played any part in our downfall because I thought it doesn't matter whose wrong or right at this point, I just wanted things to go back to how they were. Oh well.

Apologizing for something you know you didn't do really shows your selflessness and that you do care -- but if he hasn't made a move after a whole month, is he really worth your precious time?:s-smilie:. It sucks now, but time really will make you get used to not being with the jerk, I promise! I find that taking up hobbies that you used to do before dating, or ones that you forgot about but still feel passionate for, really helps to take your mind off things. Reading and writing is my personal guilty pleasure:colondollar:.

Make sure you grab some experience and learned lessons from this one (I'm an optimist, what can I say :P), because I assure you, you will find a true love somewhere along the way, and they'll replace that lost affection you had.

Also, idk if this will help, but personally whenever I'm going through something tough, I ask myself: will I really care about this when I'm on my deathbed? The answer is almost always no.

But here I am, half asleep and trying to give advice haha. Best of luck in your journey! It'll take less time than you think:wink:.
Reply 7
Original post by howitoughttobe
He told you he wanted to marry you, then couldn't even be bothered to actually end the relationship. He sounds like a real tosser, you're much better off without him. Go out there and realise how many better men there are and you'll soon forget about him.

Yeah I know, it's completely out of order. It's not even like I was pushing for him for marriage, he said it all himself without prompting. I was happy taking things slow, but he was always bringing up marriage and making constant future wife references to me. He gave me all these false hopes and dreams for the future, so when he left, it all came crashing down. Thank you, I'm sure any man I meet after this, has got be better than my ex :smile:.
Yeah I know, it's completely out of order. It's not even like I was pushing for him for marriage, he said it all himself without prompting. I was happy taking things slow, but he was always bringing up marriage and making constant future wife references to me. He gave me all these false hopes and dreams for the future, so when he left, it all came crashing down. Thank you, I'm sure any man I meet after this, has got be better than my ex :smile:.

You deserve to be treated better and once you find a man who does you'll wonder why you ever bothered with this guy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending