The Student Room Group

What’s the best way to revise?

I’ve been studying for my upcoming exams for the past few weeks now but I can’t seem to remember anything, and I feel like my current method of revision just isn’t working. Does anyone know any tips or methods of effective revising? Thanks!
Reply 1
What’s your current method
Reply 2
My current method is making condensed notes and flashcards
Original post by JustHannah_
My current method is making condensed notes and flashcards

Practice questions are the key to success in my opinion. But different techniques work for different people so you need to try a few things and see what suits you best.
Original post by Fazzy_77
Practice questions are the key to success in my opinion. But different techniques work for different people so you need to try a few things and see what suits you best.

Completely agree with this statement, without putting your knowledge into practice, you will never know what gaps you have in your knowledge, so maybe you can do topic tests and see what it is that you do and don't know and base your revision around it
I think it depends how you learn. If you’re a visual person mind maps are good, so are YouTube videos. If you’re auditory, again try YouTube or podcasts or record yourself reading your notes aloud into your phone and keep listening to it so it sticks in your head. If you’re more kinesthetic get your friend to ask you questions based on the flash cards you’ve made. Another way to make sure you understand things is by teaching other people if you’re confident enough to do that; if you can teach it, it means you understand the concept. Maybe find someone to be a sort of ‘study buddy’, you can fill gaps in their knowledge and vice versa. I personally do that and find it really helpful. In all cases though doing past papers will probably be the most effective so you can see where you need to focus your revision on the most
Original post by JustHannah_
I’ve been studying for my upcoming exams for the past few weeks now but I can’t seem to remember anything, and I feel like my current method of revision just isn’t working. Does anyone know any tips or methods of effective revising? Thanks!

Get some flash cards and put some short notes on them, read them to yourself out loud (might seem weird but it works), now use that knowledge and see if you can do a practice exam or test. Then get in a car drive to the nearest beach, get out and put a blindfold on. Put rocks in ur pockets (maybe do this before the blindfold part), then walk out into the sea reading ur notes out loud to yourself again. Let the tide take you and let the good times roll.
I agree with the others that practising questions is the best way!
Our teacher always recommends a guide written by this Professor John Dulonsky. If you google Dulonsky study strategies, you'll find it - it's called Strengthening the Student Toolbox. It rates 10 different revision techniques from the very best to the very worst. Practice testing seems to be the best one, but writing summaries is only the 8th best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending