The Student Room Group

Most/least respected A levels

Hi what would you say the best and worst A levels are, also I there any point in law?
Original post by Lukem14
Hi what would you say the best and worst A levels are, also I there any point in law?

Best and worst is a poor way of categorising without more clarification by what you mean.

The one I think that opens most doors is maths and the one which opens the least would be something like general studies or Citizenship.

Not sure what you mean by point?

It doesn't really open many doors, but is reasonably respected and will be ok as a third A level.
Reply 2
Depends what you do with them - friend currently has 3 Alevels in Maths, Chemistry and biology, achieved a 1st in biomedical science from a Russell group, been rejected from every job since, friend who did sociology, English lit and classics, went an got a first in English and now works as a consultant for a firm, it’s what you do with it
Done Citizenship went to a good uni now have a top job. In the real world no one really cares what a level subjects you have done, All they care about is can you do the job. As some one who now interviews people I dont even ask what a levels they done, what uni they want to ect.
(edited 6 years ago)
Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, psychology, geography, history etc are probably most respected - the academic ones.

Least respected from the impressions I got from people is things like drama, dance, film, media etc - the less academic ones. Not saying they aren't good for the people doing them. As another poster said it's what you do with them that counts.
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, psychology, geography, history etc are probably most respected - the academic ones.

Least respected from the impressions I got from people is things like drama, dance, film, media etc - the less academic ones. Not saying they aren't good for the people doing them. As another poster said it's what you do with them that counts.

Original post by Lily048
Depends what you do with them - friend currently has 3 Alevels in Maths, Chemistry and biology, achieved a 1st in biomedical science from a Russell group, been rejected from every job since, friend who did sociology, English lit and classics, went an got a first in English and now works as a consultant for a firm, it’s what you do with it

Thanks I want to do sociology psychology and maybe law and then a social work undergraduate and masters in maybe criminology
Reply 6
I’m doing criminology as an undergrad and I did those alevels ☺️
Reply 7
Original post by Lily048
I’m doing criminology as an undergrad and I did those alevels ☺️

Cool what job do you want to do?
Reply 8
I haven’t got a specific one in mind - I like the idea of working for a large corporation and doing consulting, HR, administration, or work behind the signs for the police as an advisor or investigation, wouldn’t mind an internship at a bank or legal practice!
Original post by 999tigger
Best and worst is a poor way of categorising without more clarification by what you mean.

The one I think that opens most doors is maths and the one which opens the least would be something like general studies or Citizenship.

Not sure what you mean by point?

It doesn't really open many doors, but is reasonably respected and will be ok as a third A level.

I agree that maths opens a lot of doors.
English and the sciences open quite a few doors as well.
And i totally agree about general studies. It was compulsory at our 16th form unfortunately. It was the most pointless thing going.
Sounds like you did really well in your studies, you've got a top job, you're really competent and that you're a really effective interviewer.
Original post by the IT MAN
Done Citizenship went to a good uni now have a top job. In the real world no one really cares what a level subjects you have done, All they care about is can you do the job. As some one who now interviews people I dont even ask what a levels they done, what uni they want to ect.

Sounds like you did really well in your studies, you've got a top job, you're really competent and that you're a really effective interviewer.
Original post by Lukem14
Thanks I want to do sociology psychology and maybe law and then a social work undergraduate and masters in maybe criminology

I'm sorry but I think all three of those are considered weaker subjects. If you want to go to a top uni I would suggest throwing in one or two facilitating subjects to boost your application.
Original post by Lukem14

Tier 1- Facilitating A Levels:

Maths and Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Lang, History, Geography, MFL's, Classical languages.

Tier 2- Respected A Levels but not faciliating

Economics, Computer Science, Philosophy, Politics, Drama, Music ect.

Tier 3- Good A Levels

Law, Business, Sociology, Art, IT ect.

Tier 4- Well ****

Media Studies, Film, Textiles, Health and Social Care, Performing Arts, Sport ect.
Original post by Alexty28
Tier 1- Facilitating A Levels:

Maths and Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Lang, History, Geography, MFL's, Classical languages.

Tier 2- Respected A Levels but not faciliating

Economics, Computer Science, Philosophy, Politics, Drama, Music ect.

Tier 3- Good A Levels

Law, Business, Sociology, Art, IT ect.

Tier 4- Well ****

Media Studies, Film, Textiles, Health and Social Care, Performing Arts, Sport ect.

Where did you get this information from, what source?
They’re only ‘weaker’ if you treat them that way - I know more people in well respected jobs with these sorts of alevels and degrees than I do those doing Sciences - they become too competitive and end up either over qualified or need experience they cannot get in their field because very few science based jobs that are not medicine exist to cater to all a level and university graduates

Quick Reply

Latest